Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • laulaubean
    • By laulaubean 17th Oct 16, 4:58 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    laulaubean
    Redundancy Insurance Valid whilst on Maternity Leave?
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:58 PM
    Redundancy Insurance Valid whilst on Maternity Leave? 17th Oct 16 at 4:58 PM
    I have just been made redundant while on maternity leave. The co will be paying my remaining statutory maternity pay in a lump sum as part of my redundancy and notice package. I will be looking for work sooner than my originally planned return to work date now as, had I not been made redundant, I would have been in receipt of enhanced maternity pay (they wouldn't negotiate including this in my package).
    I have been paying a substantial amount into redundancy insurance for the last couple of years but now I finally need it I am worried that it may not be valid on a technicality. The insurance requires that I am in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance which, I will 'sign on' for as soon as everything is toed up with work. My worry is that as I have been in receipt of statutory maternity pay, does this over-ride the JSA, i.e will I not be eligible for JSA as my co paid me SMP? Given that both are paid by the gov't, surely they will see from my NI number that I have had stat mat pay and therefore may not be entitled to JSA?

I even asked my employer to maybe not pay me the SMP as if I was coming back to work but as they are making me redundant whilst on mat leave they are legally entitled to pay - obviously can't be fraudulent!

I am really upset that on this technicality, my insurance may now not pay out. I haven't called the provider yet as I don't want to set myself up by asking daft questions!

Does anyone know where I stand please in this situation?

Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

412Posts Today

2,652Users online

Martin's Twitter