Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • onwardsandupwards127
    • By onwardsandupwards127 17th Oct 16, 4:00 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 9Thanks
    onwardsandupwards127
    Statute barred debt & received letter
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:00 PM
    Statute barred debt & received letter 17th Oct 16 at 4:00 PM
    Hi
    Hoping someone can advise.

I have had to recently post on here regarding a seperate statue barred debt.
    A long time ago I took out a debt management plan, couldn't afford that and was advised if I didn't pay that due to my situation and circumstances there was nothing the people I had borrowed money from could do. This is over 7 years ago that I made any contact with any companies.

A few weeks ago I recevied a ccj form regarding one of these after I had sent them the letter suerstart had advised me to send regarding a statue barred debt.

I am yet to here back from the court.

Today I have received another letter from a different agency regarding a debt I have heard nothing about for years and years, they stopped sending letters.

Its from Robinson Way and its titled Proposed Reconnection visit. I have never had any knocks at my door for the whole of this.
    It states they are proposing to send a field contact manger to my address on 23/10, if I do not wish this to happen to call them.

I was advised very strongly by then cccs that they would not act on these letters and people would NOT call at my door. I feel that they are trying to get me to contact them by scaring my with this threat.

They were all debts of loans and credit cards.

Obviously this has left me a little shaken.

None of these debts show on my credit history. I have a credit rating of 3/5. Sure start couldn;'t even find the debt when they searched my report.

They are statue barred.

I hope someone can advise me.
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    Hello onwardsandupwards127

Sounds to me like Robinson Way are simply chancing their arm. Please don't be distracted by references to "field contact managers" and "Proposed Reconnection"; the vocab used by debt collectors may evolve over time, but the law has not.

I would personally be very surprised if any such visit materialised; more likely it is just an attempt to panic-monger. Any visitor would have no powers and so it would seem an utter waste of their resources.

Either sit tight, send the statute barred letter, or, if you have already sent that letter in this case, send in a formal complaint on the basis that they may be breaching the following excerpts from the FCA Consumer Credit Sourcebook:

"...a firm must not attempt to recover a statute barred debt in England, Wales or Northern Ireland if the lender or owner has not been in contact with the customer during the limitation period." 7.15.4

"A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred." 7.15.8

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 17th Oct 16, 5:09 PM
    • 8,381 Posts
    • 8,212 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:09 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:09 PM
    As Dennis says above, the "doorstep collector" is an old trick designed to get you to contact them.

I once sat in all day waiting for one to turn up, as I really wanted to find out who would come, alas no one came, I am told they do occasionally show themselves, maybe my rural location put them off, I don't know.

Anyway, I digress, these "collectors" are just people they use on a self employed basis, I'm sure you've seen the job adverts, they have no more authority to discuss anything or to enter your home, than anyone else does.

For free debt advice please call National Debtline on
    0808 808 4000
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 9pm
    Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
    • onwardsandupwards127
    • By onwardsandupwards127 18th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    onwardsandupwards127
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    Thank you both so much.

Massicely appreciated.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 18th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    • 9,311 Posts
    • 48,764 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    • 18th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    I once sat in all day waiting for one to turn up, as I really wanted to find out who would come, alas no one came
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Not long after I moved in here, I got a postcard from LCS, addressed to a previous occupant, stating they intended to visit my address, at some point over a particular week.

I didn't wait in all week, but no WSWC card was posted through the letterbox, so I'm guessing nobody called.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1015-50
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 18th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    • 8,381 Posts
    • 8,212 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    Not long after I moved in here, I got a postcard from LCS, addressed to a previous occupant, stating they intended to visit my address, at some point over a particular week.

I didn't wait in all week, but no WSWC card was posted through the letterbox, so I'm guessing nobody called.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    I think 99% of the time it's just a bluff to "scare" you into ringing them.
    They don't half recycle these old chestnuts I tell you, times change but the threats stay the same lol

For free debt advice please call National Debtline on
    0808 808 4000
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 9pm
    Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,671Posts Today

5,760Users online

Martin's Twitter