Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 17th Oct 16, 3:46 PM
    • 6,681Posts
    • 29,984Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Life Begins at ... 35?
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:46 PM
    Life Begins at ... 35? 17th Oct 16 at 3:46 PM
    Hello!

I used to be a very regular poster here - back in 2010 I was happy, had a decent job, was in a great relationship (or so I thought at the time), saving up for a house/wedding, all the things you do in your mid-late 20s.

At 28 my ex cheated on me and left.
    At 29 my beloved Dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer.
    At 31 I jacked in my job and spent an unbelievably stressful year training to be a teacher.
    At 32 I spent my NQT year in a really rough school with no support from management whatsoever.
    At 33 I quit teaching and my dad died about four months later.
    At 34 I found myself being bullied by management in a horrible job.

Someone once told me that life works in seven year cycles (something to do with Saturn?) so Iím hoping that this will be true in my case - the last seven years have been horrendous for me on all fronts so Iím hoping the next seven will be brilliant to make up for it.

My current situation is this:

- I live alone with my cat in the house I grew up in, which I own outright (so thatís one stress I donít have - whatever happens I have a roof over my head!).

- Both my parents have died and I'm an only child. My elderly and increasingly infirm granny lives nearby and depends on me a lot, but I try to limit how much I do for her for my own sanity (I feel awful saying that but it's true).

- I have a decent amount of savings but these are rapidly being depleted (so I hope Iím welcome on the DFW board - Iíve always found it the friendliest, and I am aiming to *stay* debt-free).

- The only job I have is one Spanish evening class a week, which far from pays the bills and I donít really want to keep long term as the preparation time needed is more than the pay is worth. But itís a little bit of pocket money for now.

- I put on three stone while teaching and am still trying to lose it. Unfortunately I eat when Iím stressed, soÖ

- I have now been single for six years. Iíve had a few internet dates but nothing that didnít make me want to enlist in a nunnery.

Iíve just returned from a wonderful, relaxing, rejuvenating holiday and have realised that my 35th birthday is 17 weeks away. I want to start that next phase of my life in a much better state than the one outlined above. I am surrounded by lists and ideas of what to do next. Iíve posted on a couple of threads on here and was thinking about bullet journals, project planners and all sorts, then I thought an online diary might keep me focused, even if no-one else reads it.

So, here I am. And this is my mission:

Get a grip on my finances -
    What are my outgoings? What can I cut out? Limit my spending radically and keep a spending diary.

Find a job -
    Any job, even a temp job for now.

Lose weight and improve my fitness -
    Iíve been following Slimming World with varied success, and I recently paid upfront for a yearís leisure centre membership so I will be re-engaging with both of those.

Deep clean the house -
    I recently bought Kim and Aggieís book in a charity shop and it really inspired me. My house is a hovel.

Declutter and get organised -
    I still have loads of teaching paperwork and Dadís paperwork, plus my laptop files are in disarray and I have 2000+ photos clogging up my phone. I do Kondo in fits and starts so I need to gain some more momentum with this.

Decorate the house -
    My bedroom is almost finished and I have everything I need for downstairs, I just need to roll my sleeves up.

Be proactive about my love life -
    Yeah. This is the lowest priority at the moment.

Here goesÖ
    In the Swing for Spring Challenge: +1/9 (9/44 in total)
    Currently reading: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie; New Moon AB (15/30 in 2017)
    My 'Life Begins at 35' diary *click*
Page 5
    • poddle911
    • By poddle911 16th Mar 17, 11:17 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 5,982 Thanks
    poddle911
    Hello lovely

I'm absolutely with you on the job interviews - what useless feedback! I know I give a terrible interview, it's so frustrating. It doesn't like sound temping would be the worst idea. I'm assuming your outgoings are pretty low, so would it be feasible to temp a couple of days a week and then dedicate one or two days (guilt-free) to a hobby, volunteer role or 'passion project' to get some work/life balance?
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: £27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 16th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 6,681 Posts
    • 29,984 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    That's a possibility Poddle though long term I definitely want to go full time again, unless the pay is extremely good!

Well by teatime I was at the point of falling into a coma. I spent this afternoon listing all the places I'd like to work, then systematically looking on all their websites for vacancies, and signing up to job alerts where possible. I've come away with three to apply for, though one of them requires touch typing which I don't strictly have so I don't know whether to bother applying for that one.

I've also listed all the relevant recruitment agencies so tomorrow I need to check my CV and register with all of them. I've updated my linkedin, made a vets appointment, and updated my diary.

I've spent this evening crocheting and watching TV, including Live Well for Less, which made me realise I'm not too bad at managing my money after all.
    • FacelessNumber
    • By FacelessNumber 17th Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    • 348 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    FacelessNumber
    Good to see you posting again! In terms of touch typing, you can get a program for your computer that teaches you - I did it before uni and it was pretty good (helpful for writing last minute essays!)

It might not be quick enough for this job, but you could put on the application that you're learning and see what happens. Or it might be helpful for a future application.

I'm definitely planning to learn to crochet but at the moment I'm finishing my MSc so can't take it up yet or I'll avoid my real studying!

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 17th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 10,103 Posts
    • 64,642 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Glad your back Tete
    £378 Debt free by 31/03/17 or bust
    Roadkill 17 £51.30 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1410.90 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    PAYDBX 7 #£397/£760 to go!!
    NST March1 4/15
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 20th Mar 17, 11:45 AM
    • 6,681 Posts
    • 29,984 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    That's a fab idea FN, why didn't I think of that? Will deffo do that if I find many of the job descriptions ask for it.

I ran a 10 mile race yesterday and am feeling the effects today, definitely need to get to yoga tonight. This is my first week of only working a half day so I really want to make some progress both on the work front and the home front.

This week's tasks (in priority order):

Take car for MOT
    Send back ASOS parcel
    Small food shop
    Send timesheet to work
    Send availability to work
    Clear kitchen table (i.e. home office) so I can think straight
    Check banks
    Transfer Paris money to friend
    Reports for School P
    Dark washing
    Apply for Job A (closes 23/03)
    Prepare Spanish class
    Reports for School W
    Light washing
    Reports for School G
    Run leader rota
    Apply for Job B (closes 27/03)
    Update CV
    Register with agencies
    Paint kitchen window sills
    Make blind for kitchen window
    Plant and hang hanging baskets

I'm sure I'll add to this as the week goes on.
    Last edited by Tete en l'Air; 20-03-2017 at 12:07 PM.
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 20th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 6,681 Posts
    • 29,984 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air

Take car for MOT
    Send back ASOS parcel
    Small food shop
    Send timesheet to work
    Check banks
    Reports for School P
    Dark washing
    Prepare Spanish class
    Reports for School W
    Light washing
    Reports for School G
    Run leader rota
    Update CV
    Register with agencies
    Originally posted by Tete en l'Air
    Well I've only gone and done it - emailed them and said I'm not available to work at all. I'm like Rachel on Friends jacking in the waitressing job so that the Fear forces her to look for something she actually wants to do
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 20th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    • 5,969 Posts
    • 17,224 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Hello stranger!!!!

How are you? Delighted to see you on here and posting. I've subscribed and look forward to catching up with you xxx
    Total debt (starting September 2016): Ä25,474/Ä27,000
    BOI credit card: Ä6,600/Ä7,000
    Loan:Ä18,874/ Ä20,000
    Emergency savings: Ä700/Ä1000
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 20th Mar 17, 2:21 PM
    • 10,103 Posts
    • 64,642 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Congrats on your 10 mile race. That's fab!

And well done on the top the band aid off method of doing things. Hope a new job comes up soon!
    £378 Debt free by 31/03/17 or bust
    Roadkill 17 £51.30 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1410.90 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    PAYDBX 7 #£397/£760 to go!!
    NST March1 4/15
    • poddle911
    • By poddle911 20th Mar 17, 9:12 PM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 5,982 Thanks
    poddle911
    Good for you Tete! Leaves you wide open to take advantage of other opportunities coming your way. What sort of thing are you looking for?

Also, you're off to Paris? When? We're going in 3 weeks for the marathon. Exciting !
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: £27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 22nd Mar 17, 6:06 AM
    • 6,681 Posts
    • 29,984 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air

Take car for MOT
    Send back ASOS parcel
    Small food shop
    Send timesheet to work
    Check banks
    Dark washing
    Light washing
    Prepare Spanish class
    Feedback for School P
    Reports for School P
    Reports for School W
    Reports for School G
    Run leader rota
    Sponsor friend
    Update CV
    Register with agencies

I'm sure I'll add to this as the week goes on.
    Originally posted by Tete en l'Air
    The flaming job was withdrawn before the deadline, despite not saying on the ad that this could happen Need to be more proactive about putting in applications as soon as I see them.

Today I really need to sit down and bash out those reports because once they're done it'll free me up to get stuff done in the house.

Going back to sleep now for a bit though! I woke up at 4.30 and couldn't sleep for the sound of the rain but my eyes are closing again now...
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 22nd Mar 17, 6:09 AM
    • 6,681 Posts
    • 29,984 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    PS Yes Poddle off to Paree on 2nd June, really looking forward to it! Even though I've been a few times I don't think it ever gets old. Is it your OH doing the marathon? That prompted me to have a look at the Barcelona marathon yesterday and entries are open for March 2018, and I'm seriously thinking about just going for it :\
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 22nd Mar 17, 8:28 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 24,987 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Lovely to see you posting again, Tete

Good on you for taking the leap with work, I'm sure something positive will come your way because of it. Enjoy your break in Paris too, I think it's one of those cities you could visit countless times and never get sick of.

I love a bit of Live Well for Less too, it's shocking the amount of money people just spend on stuff but I'm sure if they came to my house they'd be able to pull me up on something. What is it you're crocheting? I've started knitting a jumper but it's very slow going, mostly because I do a row and my eyes have thoroughly glazed over and sit wondering if it's too early to go to bed.

House Deposit £20,000/20,000

Loan Savings: £0/10500
    Weight loss 15/38lb GW: 150lb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,564Posts Today

6,476Users online

Martin's Twitter