Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • banks_anthony_r
    • By banks_anthony_r 17th Oct 16, 1:55 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    banks_anthony_r
    Advice with Council Tax - paying twice
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:55 PM
    Advice with Council Tax - paying twice 17th Oct 16 at 1:55 PM
    Hoping for some advice. I have been renting and then bought a property. The way the timing of the completion fell, I was paying rent on the rental property for the month of September after the completion date (beginning of September). I alerted the council when I left the rental property and moved into the bought property (beginning of October) - the bought property was empty for a month. The council are charging me council tax twice for September; once for living in the rental property during the notice period (September) and again for having the empty property during September. I have queried with the council as I had explained the property was empty so I thought I would be entitled to an empty property discount for September, but they have said that because the previous owners claimed an empty property discount, I can't.

I appreciate this may not be strictly a money saving query but I can't seem to get any online advice to verify whether this is the case; is it true as I feel that I am being penalised because the previous owner happened to have applied for an empty property discount, which is something out of my control.

Any help would be great.
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 17th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    • 8,466 Posts
    • 6,101 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    Sounds correct to me.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 17th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 4,702 Posts
    • 6,715 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    Unfortunately it doesn't matter that it's out of your control. If the property has already used up the empty property discount then you can't use it. It's done per property and doesn't reset with a new owner.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 17th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 12,009 Posts
    • 11,439 Thanks
    Guest101
    It is correct, it is the property not the person entitled to the discount
    • banks_anthony_r
    • By banks_anthony_r 17th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    banks_anthony_r
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    Thank you all for the responses - if only the 'helpful' council call centre employee had taken the time to explain it better, I would have not doubted it. Now I see that it is property rather than owner based, I can see it is what it is. Thanks again.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 17th Oct 16, 2:10 PM
    • 9,403 Posts
    • 5,316 Thanks
    CIS
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:10 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:10 PM
    You can be liable for two properties at any one time (and more, in theory).

The only consideration is whether you are liable for the council tax charge.

You will always be liable for the unoccupied owned property - whether a discount applies or not depends on the local authority (they have delegated powers to set the rate of discount and the length of discount). If a discount has already been granted then it will not be available again just because of a change in ownership.

You will always be liable for a rental property in which you are the resident tenant.

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

275Posts Today

1,339Users online

Martin's Twitter