Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Oct 16, 1:53 PM
    • 13,932Posts
    • 108,670Thanks
    JackieO
    Sound bars ?
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:53 PM
    Sound bars ? 17th Oct 16 at 1:53 PM
    i bought a 32" Sony TV back in the summer and I am quite happy with it , but the sound isn't that loud. The chap in the shop said I would probably need a 'sound bar' and tried to sell me one at £180 odd bearing in mind that the TV was £290 that seemed a bit excessive . I know very little about these things so would appreciate any ideas about how much I should have to pay for one of these I live in a fairly small cottage and my sitting room is about 12x14 so basically I just want to be able to perhaps have it a little bit louder than I get at the moment.The salesman said if I turn it up too much I will 'blow' the TVs existing speakers Any advice chums would be welcome
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

December budget £60.00 5/6 NSD so far.Spent £9.90 this morning, £50.10 left
Page 2
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 18th Oct 16, 7:19 PM
    • 5,282 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Just need to make it a little louder, as at the moment I have the subtitles on ,more so in the evening so I don't disturb my neighbours, I am a little deaf in one ear and if the music soundtrack is on I find it difficult to hear the dialogue
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Try the settings. Mine has a clear speech setting which makes speech clearer. The movie setting on mine is loud but annoying. I use the standard setting.

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/referencebook/en/s5100/pages/tvsettings/tvsettings04.html
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 18-10-2016 at 7:22 PM.
    Too cool for school. Also too old for school.
    • Cash-Cows
    • By Cash-Cows 18th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Cash-Cows
    If your tv is connected to a set top box just check that the volume on this isn't turned down.
    • letsbehonest
    • By letsbehonest 29th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    letsbehonest
    I use a Denon sound base which is far superior to any sound bar I have seen demode it has built in subs, and blue tooth capability and 5 sound stages with night mode,it fills the room with sound. not as cheap as bars mentioned but we have been using it for over 2 years now and what a difference it makes. You tv will need an optical connection which most tv's have but check first.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 29th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    • 4,852 Posts
    • 4,267 Thanks
    thescouselander
    I'm not sure there's any point in buying a cheapo sound bar - they sound just a bad as the bog standard speakers in the TV.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,852Posts Today

6,200Users online

Martin's Twitter