Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Travelman
    • By Travelman 17th Oct 16, 1:22 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Travelman
    Contactless Technology
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:22 PM
    Contactless Technology 17th Oct 16 at 1:22 PM
    Last year my bank sent me a new Debit Card which had contactless technology embedded in it. I do not want, nor will I accept, contactless technology, so I phoned them and they sent a replacement card without contacless.

Today the same bank sent me a new Credit Card and the same thing happened. In discussion I was told that whilst they can send me a non-contactless card now, in a few years time that option will not be available.

Am I alone in not wanting contactless, and does anyone know a bank/credit card company who will still offer non-contactless cards?
Page 1
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 17th Oct 16, 1:30 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:30 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:30 PM
    Last year my bank sent me a new Debit Card which had contactless technology embedded in it. I do not want, nor will I accept, contactless technology, so I phoned them and they sent a replacement card without contacless.

Today the same bank sent me a new Credit Card and the same thing happened. In discussion I was told that whilst they can send me a non-contactless card now, in a few years time that option will not be available.

Am I alone in not wanting contactless, and does anyone know a bank/credit card company who will still offer non-contactless cards?
    Originally posted by Travelman
    Nationwide Credit Cards are non-contactless. I keep asking them FOR a contactless card because I like using contactless. I kept another contactless card for use on London Transport even though I'd have rather closed it.

I expect that as long as a significant number of people don't want contactless, then someone will offer a non-contactless card.
    • owlet
    • By owlet 17th Oct 16, 1:35 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 1,352 Thanks
    owlet
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:35 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:35 PM
    Tesco credit card is non - contactless.
    SPC 8 (2015) #485 TOTAL: £334.65
    SPC 9 (2016) #485 TOTAL £84
    SPC 10 (2017) # 485
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 17th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    20aday
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    Tesco credit card is non - contactless.
    Originally posted by owlet
    Expired and or/newly issued Tesco Bank credit cards are now contactless.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your account conduct and credit history.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 17th Oct 16, 1:46 PM
    • 3,494 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:46 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:46 PM
    A number of banks offer non-contactless debit cards (on request)
    Lloyds, Halifax and BOS (all LBG) being three off top of my head.

Other banks may also offer this or can do it by downgrading your debit card to an 'online' version that checks with the bank for funds each time.
    • FluroFrancis
    • By FluroFrancis 17th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    FluroFrancis
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    A number of banks offer non-contactless debit cards (on request)
    Lloyds, Halifax and BOS (all LBG) being three off top of my head.

Other banks may also offer this or can do it by downgrading your debit card to an 'online' version that checks with the bank for funds each time.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    I believe the "online" version of a (visa) debit card is what used to be called electron and if someone downgraded to one of those there are places that don't accept them
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 17th Oct 16, 7:06 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:06 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:06 PM
    Lloyds Bank originally sent me a non-contactless card. I called them up and asked if I could have a contactless one and they did.

Around a year later, my card was damaged and when I asked for a new one, they sent me a non-contactless one again. It was apparently on my account that they sent them as standard. They apparently changed that on my account though. But I've left them now anyway so I'll never know
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 17th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 3,494 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    You believe incorrectly - Visa Electron cards still exist.

I believe the "online" version of a (visa) debit card is what used to be called electron and if someone downgraded to one of those there are places that don't accept them
    Originally posted by FluroFrancis
    • FluroFrancis
    • By FluroFrancis 17th Oct 16, 9:59 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    FluroFrancis
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:59 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:59 PM
    You believe incorrectly - Visa Electron cards still exist.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    well my co-op visa electron was replaced with one saying it was a visa debit but that behaves suspiciously identical to an electron, doesn't work on trains, doesn't work on Tesco.com and other places
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 18th Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    • 2,834 Posts
    • 1,375 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    "Am I alone in not wanting contactless,"
    No you are not alone. Unfortunately this is something else that will eventually be forced upon those of us who have no use, will not use or desire for it!
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • username
    • By username 20th Oct 16, 12:37 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    username
    "Am I alone in not wanting contactless,"
    No you are not alone. Unfortunately this is something else that will eventually be forced upon those of us who have no use, will not use or desire for it!
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    I'm genuinely interested to know why people are so anti contactless? It's just simply another way to pay, convenient and faster.

it doesn't help that newspapers like the Daily Mail peddle sh1te around the technology. They were running a story yesterday implying that anyone with a portable card machine could walk up to people's bags and pockets and steal £30 as if by magic by contactless payment.

What they completely forgot to mention is that to even get the card machine working, you will need a merchant account, which requires lots of hoops to jump through (in that you will need to have a business account, and pay for the service) and there will always be a paper trail to the destination of where they money is being sent.

Most people have several contactless cards in their wallet/purse. If multiple cards are presented, none will get charged and the machine will throw back an error as it can only work with one card at a time.

So it's certainly not a case that Billy Bob Crook could buy one off ebay and start charging cards willy-nilly.
    • AndysDad
    • By AndysDad 20th Oct 16, 7:00 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    AndysDad
    Just started using my new CapitalOne card and 'Love it',so much quicker and safer as people don't see you typing in your pin number.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 21st Oct 16, 9:24 AM
    • 3,826 Posts
    • 3,470 Thanks
    eddddy
    It would be really interesting to hear any real experiences from people who have lost their contactless cards or had them stolen.

If they are used, do the banks refund readily - or do they give you a hard time and/or refuse a refund?

A friend recently had her purse stolen containing a contactless card and a lot of cash. She reported the loss to her bank. Obviously, she lost all her cash, but zero losses via the card. (She doesn't know if the thief attempted to use it.)

So she would have lost less if she carried less cash and relied on her contactless card more.
    Last edited by eddddy; 21-10-2016 at 9:26 AM.
    • williamgz
    • By williamgz 21st Oct 16, 9:53 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    williamgz
    The way I see it, with chip & pin is very easy to see your pin, they steal/copy your card and can spend/withdraw a nasty amount.

With contactless nobody can see your pin and "potentially" nobody can magically steal money with machines. Only drawback is, if you get it stolen, they don't need the pin to spend on it but are limited to small amounts so it looks safer to me.

And thinking about it coldly, who would risk getting caught with a stolen card for just 20-30£ purchases?
    • krisdorey
    • By krisdorey 21st Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    • 3,148 Posts
    • 2,685 Thanks
    krisdorey
    Even then, after so many (its been as low as 4 for me) contactless transactions it forces a pin transaction.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 21st Oct 16, 4:33 PM
    • 3,016 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    glider3560
    Even then, after so many (its been as low as 4 for me) contactless transactions it forces a pin transaction.
    Originally posted by krisdorey
    It's definitely not fixed. I'm on consecutive contactless transaction 26 now, without needing a PIN. A year ago, in Poland with the same card, I was asked every four or five transactions.

• cardsguy
    • By cardsguy 23rd Oct 16, 7:32 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    cardsguy
    Just use Apple Pay or Android Pay - same principle but uses secure authentication. I usually carry 4 credit cards with me (no debit cards), together with 3 of them added on Apple Pay and I use contactless whenever I can, especially on TfL - I have never had any fraudulent transactions on any of them. Of course YMMV, but the convenience of contactless is simply to good when compared to the very very small risk that you will have a skimmer next to you stealing your money off of your card. If he can get close enough to do that he could just as well grab your wallet and make a run for it!
    • eset12345
    • By eset12345 24th Oct 16, 3:36 AM
    • 273 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    eset12345
    I'm genuinely interested to know why people are so anti contactless? It's just simply another way to pay, convenient and faster.

it doesn't help that newspapers like the Daily Mail peddle sh1te around the technology. They were running a story yesterday implying that anyone with a portable card machine could walk up to people's bags and pockets and steal £30 as if by magic by contactless payment.

What they completely forgot to mention is that to even get the card machine working, you will need a merchant account, which requires lots of hoops to jump through (in that you will need to have a business account, and pay for the service) and there will always be a paper trail to the destination of where they money is being sent.

Most people have several contactless cards in their wallet/purse. If multiple cards are presented, none will get charged and the machine will throw back an error as it can only work with one card at a time.

So it's certainly not a case that Billy Bob Crook could buy one off ebay and start charging cards willy-nilly.
    Originally posted by username
    anyone can sign up to paypal with fake details and get a cheap £50 contactless card reader. you can then transfer the money to any number of destinations, from prepay debit cards to gambling sites like paddy power that offer prepay debit cards linked to your account.

All set up with fake details, you can then get access to the money from any number of places without any kind of CCTV.

so yeah, its pretty simple, but not that likely considering cards often have to be right on the contactless machine to work, even a barrier through jeans etc can be enough to stop them working

and there's no risk for the consumer anyway, because all banks take on any claims of fraud and refund you immediately, on top of requiring pin access every few attempt, its mean to be random but its limited to a maximum of about 7 transaction, but if they are in quick succession or from the same payment device it will ask for a pin much sooner, within 2 - 3 transactions.
    Last edited by eset12345; 24-10-2016 at 3:43 AM.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 24th Oct 16, 8:28 AM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    chattychappy
    Nationwide Credit Cards are non-contactless.
    Originally posted by TheShape
    As you probably know, their debit cards are now contactless. I rang them last week asking if I could have a contactless Select Credit Card. The operator told me they are getting alot of requests. She said "early next year" and to ring back in February.
    • Economic
    • By Economic 24th Oct 16, 9:08 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Economic
    It's definitely not fixed. I'm on consecutive contactless transaction 26 now, without needing a PIN. A year ago, in Poland with the same card, I was asked every four or five transactions.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    Were there any chip and PIN transactions between the contactless transactions?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,627Posts Today

7,223Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin