Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 17th Oct 16, 1:00 PM
    • 565Posts
    • 532Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    Buildings Insurance
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:00 PM
    Buildings Insurance 17th Oct 16 at 1:00 PM
    I posted a question about which insurers allow you to add them as an interested party to the policy and ringing a few companies it seems most do this.

Upon speaking to them I have another query, the letter I received from solicitor said I need to set up a buildings policy for a few weeks from now and then amend the date when we have an exchange date. I have spoke to the insurance companies and they have said I cannot take the policy out until date of exchange. Is that correct?

I can now understand why I have not moved in 20 years

Thanks everyone

xx
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Oct 16, 1:44 PM
    • 37,004 Posts
    • 40,910 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:44 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:44 PM
    Select your insurer.

Get a quote you're happy with.

Download policy document from their website.

Give solicitor copy of quote and policy document.

On day of exchange, take out policy.
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 17th Oct 16, 1:56 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:56 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:56 PM
    The letter from the solicitor says I need a policy which has to name the lender as an interested party which I cannot do until I buy the policy. The insurance company will not let me buy the policy until date of exchange.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 17th Oct 16, 2:41 PM
    • 3,832 Posts
    • 3,409 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:41 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:41 PM
    The letter from the solicitor says I need a policy which has to name the lender as an interested party which I cannot do until I buy the policy. The insurance company will not let me buy the policy until date of exchange.
    Originally posted by ladymarmalade222
    Not sure why you'd need to produce anything to the solicitor before exchange - I would just check prices etc and then activate it on the day of exchange (online or over the phone). The lender's interest only becomes relevant at completion, the period between exchange and completion is purely your problem.
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 17th Oct 16, 3:52 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    mattk_180
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:52 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:52 PM
    Exactly what David said, and that's exactly what I've just experienced with mine.

We only had to activate it at exchange as it was in our interest and because the lender needed to see it before completion to release funds. No need for it to be in force any length of time before exchange.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Oct 16, 3:58 PM
    • 37,004 Posts
    • 40,910 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:58 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:58 PM
    The letter from the solicitor says I need a policy which has to name the lender as an interested party .
    Originally posted by ladymarmalade222
    So when you send the quote and policy document (my step 4 above), include in the covering letter a sentence to say you will name the lender as an interested party when you take out the policy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,627Posts Today

7,223Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin