Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dr Wu
    • By Dr Wu 17th Oct 16, 12:52 PM
    • 112Posts
    • 24Thanks
    Dr Wu
    Another 'contracted out/top up state pension' question
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:52 PM
    Another 'contracted out/top up state pension' question 17th Oct 16 at 12:52 PM
    Sorry, I realise a lot of these issues have already been covered but wondered if I could have some guidance for my particular circumstances?

I'm 53 and will retire from the NHS in Dec 2017 on my 55th birthday (special classes/ MHO etc). I do not intend to work again.

Obviously I've been contracted out since I started with the NHS in Jan 1985. My pension forecast age 67 is £119.78 p/w as of 01/04/2016.

My forecast states that this can rise to a max of £155.65 p/w if I make another 9 years of contributions (looks like I will make approx 20 months more contibutions from April 2016 so I'm guessing that the figure of £119.78 will go up a little)

What I'm wondering is whether or not I can make additional contributions now which will get me closer to the £155.65 figure as obviously this would prove to be a good investment (if I live for a few years past 67!)

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 17th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    • 19,142 Posts
    • 10,861 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    You will not have been contracted out after the end of this tax year so should have a couple more qualifying years through employment before you retire - after that you will need to pay voluntary Class 3 contributions.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-3838476/Can-pay-new-state-pension-Steve-Webb-replies.html
    • Dr Wu
    • By Dr Wu 17th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Dr Wu
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    Thanks for that Xylophone, what is discussed in the link makes sense.

The only thing I'm still not sure about is how many years worth of voluntary class three contributions I can make?

Could I make say one payment of 1/35 or £733 each year for the next 5 years which would get me pretty close to the full state pension at 67?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 17th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 15,012 Posts
    • 9,364 Thanks
    molerat
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    You have another 2 years worth of employed contributions ahead of you (16-17 & 17-18) so £155.65 - (£119.78 + £8.90) = £26.97 / £4.45 = 6 years to be purchased after April 2018 at whatever they cost then. They cannot be purchased ahead but you can either pay monthly by DD or pay a cash lump sum up to 2 years after the end of the year to get them at the historic rate for the year or for up to 6 years after the end of the year at the then current year price.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Dr Wu
    • By Dr Wu 17th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Dr Wu
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    Great, thanks for that molerat. So basically I do nothing 'till 2018 or afterwards and then cough up whatever the cost is of a years worth of contributions each, year for 6 years and that brings me up to around the full amount. Seems a bit of a no brainer really i.e. no other investment of £733 or so per year is going to generate that kind of return (with the obvious proviso!)

Just tried to start the same process for the wife only to get a message saying that a pension forecast could not be provided as her record was (and I quote) " a bit complicated!"
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 17th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    • 19,142 Posts
    • 10,861 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    Just tried to start the same process for the wife only to get a message saying that a pension forecast could not be provided as her record was (and I quote) " a bit complicated!"
    She can apply in writing
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-a-state-pension-statement

Form below for use with voluntary contributions.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-insurance-application-to-pay-voluntary-national-insurance-contributions-ca5603
    • Dr Wu
    • By Dr Wu 17th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Dr Wu
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    thanks again, I've download the form for the written pension forecast and we'll get that off tomorrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

58Posts Today

4,212Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin