Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Mee
    • By Mee 17th Oct 16, 12:51 PM
    • 759Posts
    • 785Thanks
    Savings (Government Contributions) Bill: Commons Second Reading
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:51 PM
    Savings (Government Contributions) Bill: Commons Second Reading 17th Oct 16 at 12:51 PM
    Bill includes:

Government contributions to Lifetime ISAs; Government contributions to Help-to-Save accounts, and Income tax treatment of Government contributions under section 1 or 2

Savings (Government Contributions) Bill: Commons Second Reading

17 October 2016
    MPs are to debate the Second Reading of the Savings (Government Contributions) Bill in the House of Commons on Monday 17 October 2016.

The debate is expected to start at 3.30pm, after Work and Pensions Questions, but could be later if any Urgent Questions or Statements are granted on the day.
    Timings are approximate as Parliamentary business is subject to change.
    Transcripts of proceedings in the House of Commons Chamber are available in Hansard online three hours after they happen.
    Related information

Summary of the Savings (Government Contributions) Bill

A Bill to make provision for, and in connection with, government bonuses in respect of additions to savings accounts and other investment plans.
    Progress of the Bill

The Bill was introduced into the House of Commons on Tuesday 6 September 2016. This is known as the First Reading and there was no debate on the Bill at this stage.
    Keep up to date with all the proceedings and documentation, including amendment papers, on the Savings (Government Contributions) Bill and find out how a Bill becomes an Act of Parliament.
    Related information

House of Commons Library analysis

The House of Commons Library produces briefing papers to inform MPs and their staff of key issues. The papers contain factual information and a range of opinions on each subject, and aim to be politically impartial.
    The Library has published a briefing paper for second reading.
    What happens at Second Reading?

At Second Reading the House debates the whole principle of the Bill. It usually takes place no sooner than two weekends after First Reading.
    The Member in charge or the Minister moves the motion 'that the Bill be now read a second time'. MPs then debate the Bill. At the end of the debate the Speaker determines whether there are any objections to the motion being debated and asks for the Ayes and Noes.
    Members voice their opinion, and if no objections are made, the Bill passes second reading without a vote. If the Speaker believes Members have voiced disagreement, a division is called and a vote taken.
    What happens after Second Reading?

If the Bill passes Second Reading, and the programme motion is agreed, the Bill will progress to a Public Bill Committee which will conclude by Tuesday 18 October 2016.
    The programme motion would also schedule the Legislative Grand Committee, Report and Third Reading stages to take place over one day.
    Watching proceedings from the public gallery

UK residents and overseas visitors can watch proceedings in the House of Commons by visiting the public gallery.
    Image: iStock
    Follow @HouseofCommons on Twitter for updates on the UK House of Commons Chamber.
    Please fill in our quick feedback survey to help us improve our news content.
    You can click the Thanks button if you want

Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,456Posts Today

6,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin