Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • swifty9876
    • By swifty9876 17th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    swifty9876
    How to be INeligible for Jobseekers Allowance
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    How to be INeligible for Jobseekers Allowance 17th Oct 16 at 12:43 PM
    Hello all,

Bit of a funny question this one. I was recently made redundant. A few years ago I took out an insurance policy that would pay me a reasonable monthly amount (for a year) if I was made redundant. On looking at the claim process, they require me to 'register' with the Job Center as unemployed, which is all very well I thought, but on looking at this, the only process is to register for Job Seekers Allowance (JSA), which honestly, I don't want / need. I am looking to take a break after 20 years of work, and for a few months don't want to 'seek work' - which I will apparently have to do in force if I apply for JSA. Does anyone know of a way to register as unemployed but to NOT receive JSA?

Many thanks - swifty
Page 1
    • Runa
    • By Runa 17th Oct 16, 1:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Runa
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:11 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:11 PM
    You can apply for National Insurance Credits from the JobCentre. See the government page on "National Insurance Credits Eligibility" (sorry can't post link as a new user)

"You’re unemployed and looking for work, but not on Jobseeker’s Allowance. Contact your local Jobcentre to claim Class 1 credits"

Essentially the process is exactly the same as claiming regular Jobseekers Allowance, except you don't get paid any money. You do not have to comply with any job seeking activities mandated by the Job Centre, however they will still try to make you and threaten to sanction you if you don't. However since you are being paid nothing there is nothing to sanction. So you will end up with a "live" Jobseekers Allowance claim that pays nothing, which may be enough to satisfy your insurance company.
    • Diary
    • By Diary 17th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Diary
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    Hello all,

Bit of a funny question this one. I was recently made redundant. A few years ago I took out an insurance policy that would pay me a reasonable monthly amount (for a year) if I was made redundant. On looking at the claim process, they require me to 'register' with the Job Center as unemployed, which is all very well I thought, but on looking at this, the only process is to register for Job Seekers Allowance (JSA), which honestly, I don't want / need. I am looking to take a break after 20 years of work, and for a few months don't want to 'seek work' - which I will apparently have to do in force if I apply for JSA. Does anyone know of a way to register as unemployed but to NOT receive JSA?

Many thanks - swifty
    Originally posted by swifty9876
    You can't. If you are eligible for contribution based jsa it will be paid. If you pass the means test for income based jsa it will be paid. You cannot simply choose to sign on and and not be paid.

If you don't meet the NI requirement for contribution based jsa or the means testing for income based jsa you can sign on for your NI stamp only but you still have to meet the very strict job seeking conditions to even get this.
    .Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 17th Oct 16, 1:42 PM
    • 9,954 Posts
    • 11,719 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:42 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:42 PM
    It seems that your insurance policy states that you must be actively seeking work in order to claim. Makes sense - obviously want to minimise the amount/for how long they pay out. Their proof of this is that you are claiming JSA.

Since you have been working it is likely that you would be eligible for contribution based ESA but with it comes the job seeking requirements.

My only suggestion is that if you intend to take a break that you use your redundancy money to fund this and only claim on the insurance when you 'sign on'. Obviously you need to check that this is OK with your insurance company and they may say 'no'!
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 17th Oct 16, 2:32 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:32 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:32 PM
    A mixture of the above advice, in fact.

You could claim JSA (it may well be Universal Credit now in your area) online. The £ received from the policy would prevent you receiving any JSA £ payment though presumably [although you don't state the amount the policy pays and how often].

JSA is paid fortnightly, whereas UC is paid monthly and the latter is affected by £ received during a monthly reporting period. So in fact you'd receive the first UC payment (6 weeks' worth usually as it takes that long to go live). But once the UC triggered your insurance policy, the £ received from that policy would zero out your next monthly UC payment due.

However the above would not apply if you claim contributions-based JSA as pm rightly says. You'd also receive NI Credits under all 4 forms of benefit as others mention.

So, in short you have conditionality requirements under all forms. However with JSA you'd still have to sign fortnightly at a Jobcentre Plus office even to receive NICs. Whereas under UC - as a claimant receiving £ above the earnings threshold - you wouldn't have to. But obviously whichever you can claim UC is largely down to your family circumstances and post code. Under UC your underlying claim remains live for 6 months - although it would close 1 month after (if) you fail to report the £ received from the policy by 'phone each month.
    Last edited by Mersey; 17-10-2016 at 2:53 PM.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

592Posts Today

3,456Users online

Martin's Twitter