Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ScaredWitless
    • By ScaredWitless 17th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 4Thanks
    ScaredWitless
    Smeg Exploding Oven Door
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    Smeg Exploding Oven Door 17th Oct 16 at 11:29 AM
    I purchased my Smeg oven costing £499.99 from Currys on the 31 August 2015.

It came with a 5 year warranty.

I've not had a full year's use out of the oven, but when I attempted to use the pyroclictic cleaning function for the second time yesterday, the inner glass door completely shattered.

We had hot glass everywhere.

I need to ask what the warranty covers.

I have sent an email to the CEO of Currys, asking for either a replacement or a full refund of the item and quoted the Sale of Goods Act.

I've had to registered the 5 year warranty through Smeg, and have been told to phone back in 48 hours.

Personally, Currys supplied the item, they should offer replacement surely what are my rights please?
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 17th Oct 16, 11:37 AM
    • 8,693 Posts
    • 9,754 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:37 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:37 AM
    I have sent an email to the CEO of Currys, asking for either a replacement or a full refund of the item and quoted the Sale of Goods Act.

Personally, Currys supplied the item, they should offer replacement surely what are my rights please?
    Originally posted by ScaredWitless

If the oven is deemed to have an inherent fault (basically a manufacturing fault), the SOGA states that the retailer must provide a resolution.
    This can be a repair, a replacement or a refund (which can be a partial refund) and it's basically the retailer that gets to choose the option.
    If they opt for a repair then they will probably arrange for the manufacturer to carry this out.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 8,570 Posts
    • 5,607 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    Surely it's not the best of ideas to "quote the Sale of Goods Act" and then ask what are your rights.

As above, the onus is on you to prove that an inherent fault exists for which the retailer most likely will ask you to do via a paid for engineer's report. If this is in your favour then are obliged to offer you a remedy of repair, replacement or refund (taking into account the usage you've already had).
    • Forwandert
    • By Forwandert 17th Oct 16, 12:00 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    Forwandert
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:00 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:00 PM
    Do CEO's deal with warranty returns now?
    • cono1717
    • By cono1717 17th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    cono1717
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    I purchased my Smeg oven costing £499.99 from Currys on the 31 August 2015.

It came with a 5 year warranty.

I've not had a full year's use out of the oven, but when I attempted to use the pyroclictic cleaning function for the second time yesterday, the inner glass door completely shattered.

We had hot glass everywhere.

I need to ask what the warranty covers.

I've had to registered the 5 year warranty through Smeg, and have been told to phone back in 48 hours.

Your rights are to a replacement, refund or repair if you can prove it's a manufacturing defect as above this would be via an independent report. I'd maybe see what SMEG suggest they may just replace it without the rigmarole.

Do CEO's deal with warranty returns now?
    Originally posted by Forwandert
    There's a common misconception that the CEO even reads the emails - they do not. Most of the emails you see floating around are just glorified customer service emails.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Oct 16, 12:34 PM
    • 17,229 Posts
    • 7,771 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:34 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:34 PM
    I have sent an email to the CEO of Currys, asking for either a replacement or a full refund
    There's a common misconception that the CEO even reads the emails - they do not. Most of the emails you see floating around are just glorified customer service emails.
    Originally posted by cono1717
    Yes, generally speaking, a customer service clerk (claiming to be from the CEO's "office") will deal with complaints addressed to the CEO.
    The Chief Exec does not deal with such run-of-the-mill queries.

I can understand people who have been given poor service attempting to "escalate" their complaint, but not right at the outset.
    • cono1717
    • By cono1717 17th Oct 16, 2:20 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    cono1717
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:20 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:20 PM
    Interesting fact - back when I was working for Currys (way before the Carphone merger) Seb James used to respond almost instantly on twitter - gradually the Store Medics (as they were called then) came and responded on his behalf now I don't think he responds to a lot.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    • 17,229 Posts
    • 7,771 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    Interesting fact - back when I was working for Currys (way before the Carphone merger) Seb James used to respond almost instantly on twitter - gradually the Store Medics (as they were called then) came and responded on his behalf now I don't think he responds to a lot.
    I think that was part of companies being seen to embrace Social Media as the next big thing. Now that the novelty has worn off, I'm not surprised he no longer finds the time...
    • cono1717
    • By cono1717 17th Oct 16, 3:08 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    cono1717
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:08 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:08 PM
    I think that was part of companies being seen to embrace Social Media as the next big thing. Now that the novelty has worn off, I'm not surprised he no longer finds the time...
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Used to be a great way of jumping the usual head office queue. Need more promotional items and store medics are taking forever? Tweet Seb.
    • fleshandbone
    • By fleshandbone 17th Oct 16, 3:23 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    fleshandbone
    What an awful name for a company to call themselves, sounds very unclean....and smelly.
    Live and let live, love and not hate, sing and be joyous, respect all mankind and natures gifts
    • cono1717
    • By cono1717 17th Oct 16, 3:39 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    cono1717
    What an awful name for a company to call themselves, sounds very unclean....and smelly.
    Originally posted by fleshandbone
    A quick (and very risky thanks to google auto search) Wikipedia reveals The name is an acronym for Smalterie Metallurgiche Emiliane Guastalla ("Emilian metallurgical enamel works of Guastalla").
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 17th Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    DoaM
    Originally posted by fleshandbone
    Blame Red Dwarf.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • CoolHotCold
    • By CoolHotCold 17th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 1,253 Thanks
    CoolHotCold
    Oven doors do shatter, and are designed to fail in a 'safe' way.

If it was the inner door you'll have no problem, as that is usually an inherent fault, while outer door breakage is usually a sign of mishap (aka bashing it).

Not really sure why you went full guns blazing from the offset, and then posted here in a worse case scenario before actually hearing anything back.
    • SuperHan
    • By SuperHan 17th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    SuperHan

Seb's job role changed on the merger - he's no longer head of UK & Ireland, and now looks after international operations too.

Katie Bickerstaffe stepped in to his place, but I don't know what her social media presence is like...
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 17th Oct 16, 8:38 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 996 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    I wonder if glass breakage is covered in the warantee? Glass breakage is the one thing usually excluded as it is usually a result of an impact. Safety glass (as fitted to ovens) can shatter some time after an impact.
    The self cleaning mode is interesting though, what temp does it heat the oven to for it to work? Glass is tempered (heat treated) during manufacture at about 750 degrees, self cleaning may actually be quite a bit higher than this, which may I suppose result in failure.
    Last edited by Mr.Generous; 17-10-2016 at 8:44 PM.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 17th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 14,583 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    hollydays
    Pyroclictic? Is that a real word?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Oct 16, 9:07 PM
    • 17,229 Posts
    • 7,771 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Glass breakage is the one thing usually excluded as it is usually a result of an impact. Safety glass (as fitted to ovens) can shatter some time after an impact.
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    As already mentioned, if it's the inner glass which has shattered there should be no problem getting a replacement under Warranty. The outer is indeed generally only damaged by a knock or other impact.

No point speculating further, only an physical inspection will reveal what's at fault here...

Pyroclictic? Is that a real word?
    Originally posted by hollydays
    Looks to be a trademarked name of the Oven's cleaning process. Probably derived from "Pyroclastic".
    • ScaredWitless
    • By ScaredWitless 18th Oct 16, 11:06 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ScaredWitless
    "Pyroclictic" didn't realise I had misspelt!!

Anyway I've had a good result.

Currys have apologised and are sending me a £50 voucher in the post, and a new replacement cooker being delivered tomorrow, they are also taking the damaged one away for nothing.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Oct 16, 3:08 PM
    • 17,229 Posts
    • 7,771 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Anyway I've had a good result.
    Regardless, next time don't be so quick off the mark with complaints to the "CEO".

Why have they awarded you a £50 voucher?
    • ScaredWitless
    • By ScaredWitless 19th Oct 16, 9:29 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ScaredWitless
    With complaints like faulty goods, its always best to go to the CEO.

£50 voucher was to apologise for the incident occurring as a gesture of goodwill by Currys.

Its being delivered sometime this morning.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,424Posts Today

7,186Users online

Martin's Twitter