Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Michelle_Linzi
    • By Michelle_Linzi 17th Oct 16, 11:02 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Michelle_Linzi
    Removing an unfair default
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:02 AM
    Removing an unfair default 17th Oct 16 at 11:02 AM
    I joined the creditclub and discovered my score was very poor. I was surprised as I have always paid my bills. After looking into things I realised it was from Vodafone who had overcharged me on a final payment. I had been phoning them for 9 months trying to sort this out not realising that this was to be classed as a default. Anyway, the mistake was sorted, I paid my bill and was told by Vodafone that the default had been removed, it could take a month to come off my credit score. It is now over a month and it's still there. I phoned Experian but was told that I couldn't have phone support as I am not a member. Does anyone know who I can contact to discuss this and have the default removed from my file? Thank you
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    • 9,403 Posts
    • 9,237 Thanks
    zx81
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/questions/askjames282.html
    • Michelle_Linzi
    • By Michelle_Linzi 17th Oct 16, 11:31 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Michelle_Linzi
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:31 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:31 AM
    I have ordered a report. It's interesting though that Vodafone should have warned me about a default and given me the option to clear it up as I rang them frequently and spoke to many staff members but not one mentioned this.
  • National Debtline
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    Hi Michelle,

This is a bit tricky because only incorrect data can be removed from your file, and if there was an outstanding bill, that turned out to be correct, I am afraid the default may also be correct. If that is the case, it cannot be removed.

However, as someone from Vodafone has suggested they can remove it, and it hasn't happened, I would suggest a written formal complaint. Outline the whole problem, from the beginning, so there is a clear timeline of the problem and the fact that you were unaware of the risk of a default (although I am sorry to say, it was probably in the T &C's). Ask them to remove the default and if they refuse you can try escalating it to the Telecommunications Ombudsman. Fingers crossed,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    Last edited by National Debtline; 17-10-2016 at 5:33 PM. Reason: wording
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Michelle_Linzi
    • By Michelle_Linzi 17th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Michelle_Linzi
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    Hi Laura, thank you for your reply. Vodafone admitted to me on the phone it was their fault, they saw the mistake (they had overcharged me), adjusted the payment and then I paid in full. They put me through to the credit department who said they had now removed the default. I rang them a few days ago and they told me the default had been removed and to wait until the credit agency updated their information.
  • National Debtline
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:35 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:35 PM
    No problem. Well the credit files can sometimes take a month or two to update. You can complain now, if you feel it is warranted, or wait and see if it comes off in the next couple of months. If it is still showing after that you should definitely complain, but in writing this time.

Don't forget, you may be able to get a copy of the phone transcript as well if you need to, by making a Subject Access Request to Vodafone. May help if you get locked in a battle of 'he said, she said'.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Experian company representative
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:05 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:05 PM
    Hi Michelle, if the Vodafone default is showing on your Experian credit report contact us and we can query it with them on your behalf. http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/contact-us/index.html
    While we query the entry we would mark it as disputed, and we would let you know the outcome of the dispute as soon as we get a reply.
    Kind regards Neil
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Steven Rathmill, Stuart Storey & Joseph Standen
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

456Posts Today

3,387Users online

Martin's Twitter