Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 17th Oct 16, 10:27 AM
    • 251Posts
    • 88Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    Bathroom sink leak
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:27 AM
    Bathroom sink leak 17th Oct 16 at 10:27 AM
    The wife's noticed that there's water on the floor under the sink in the bathroom. At first we put it down to me being messy. But it persisted over the last two weeks and I've had today off so I investigated a bit further.

I cleaned the area dry, stuck newspaper under the sink and then slowly ran the taps so the bowl was full but didn't run up to the overflow hole. There was water slowly leaking (drop by drop) on to the newspaper. I can't feel any wetness from around the trap or waste pipe but the bottom of the sink is wet.

I've attached pictures. The red circled area is the bit of the sink that's wet. There's no cracks that I can see in the sink. Any ideas where the water's travelling through?
Page 2
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 18th Oct 16, 6:27 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    JohnB47
    Right, so it's faulty manufacture. Presumably it's out of warranty, or you didn't buy it?

Here are my thoughts as a DIY'er, not a plumber.

1. How do remove the remnants of silicone? I've scraped what I can off with a stanley knife. Or should I just leave it?
    Originally posted by d0nkeyk0ng
    I've heard about a product that is supposed to soften the grip of silicone. If you think there's too much remaining, you could try that.

2. Do I use new rubber washers?
    Probably not, if the existing ones are still flexible and not cracked.

3. There's a rubber washer that fits between the waste flange and the basin on the top side. I've seen a youtube video where the chap just uses silicone instead of a washer here.
    I would use silicone - you probably won't find a suitable size of washer, if one exists.

4. Before I replace the bottom washer, should I use silicone here too?
    No harm but not usually necessary.

5. Should I bung up the overflow spout with silicone?
    No, I would try to fix the crack.

6. What can I do with the crack? Leave it or silicone it or do something else?
    Hmmm. Well, you can't get at the inside so I would clean and dry around the crack area and use silicone. I'd use a hair drier on it to ensure it was as dry as poss inside the crack. I would try working as much silicon as poss into the crack and then apply a larger amount around that area, smearing it hard against the surface at first then applying another layer on top. Leave it to set for at least 24 hrs before using the basin.

That's my opinion anyway. Others may have better ideas. Of course, replacing the basin with a cheap alternative until you get the bathroom refurb'ed would be a better solution but finding a cheap one that would slot in without too much bother might be a nuisance.

Good luck with it.
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 18th Oct 16, 6:58 PM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    Ruski
    TBH - save yourself a LOT of trouble by trying this and that and seeing if it works and just buy a new bowl

You've done the hard work already...

IMHO

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 18th Oct 16, 8:04 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    TBH - save yourself a LOT of trouble...and just buy a new bowl
    Originally posted by Ruski
    Honestly, if I could easily and cheaply replace it, I would. No idea who made it nor where to buy it from.

Right, so it's faulty manufacture. Presumably it's out of warranty, or you didn't buy it?
    Originally posted by JohnB47
    Previous owners moved in around 2007/8 and moved out 2015. It was purchased during that time.

I've heard about a product that is supposed to soften the grip of silicone.
    Yeah I read about it too. But ended up using white spirit and a razor blade. Got around 90% of it off.

Probably not, if the existing ones are still flexible and not cracked.
    The washers are soft and flexible still.

I would use silicone - you probably won't find a suitable size of washer, if one exists.
    TBH I was considering buying a new waste. But think I'll silicone it instead.

No, I would try to fix the crack.
    Thanks for the advice. Will dry it out and silicone it tonight. Will fit everything together in the morning and then test it out the day after.
    • Any
    • By Any 18th Oct 16, 8:09 PM
    • 7,520 Posts
    • 7,852 Thanks
    Any
    There is a thing called silicone remover. It's like a gel that you smear on the silicone, let it work and wipe off. At B&Q it's in the same isle as tubes of silicone.
    If all fails, I would go with new bowl..
    how was it put on? Just sat on top of cupboard? Is it just the size you need to match? It looks like it to me but not completely sure from the pictures.
    • Any
    • By Any 18th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    • 7,520 Posts
    • 7,852 Thanks
    Any
    https://victoriaplum.com/product/baikal-countertop-basin-offer-pack-ppack1871

It doesn't show bottom here, but I don't think as long as it would cover the hole it doesn't matter?
    Anyway, just an idea for price.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 19th Oct 16, 4:08 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    tonyh66
    wouldn't have used silicone in the crack.
    I would hairdryer it (to dry it out), then use a runny superglue type product designed for sticking ceramics, this will leech into the crack and seal it. Then I would cake the area where the crack is with chemical metal squeezing it into the crack.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,812Posts Today

7,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin