Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mikevybiral
    • By mikevybiral 17th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mikevybiral
    O2 refuses to unlock O2 phone
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    O2 refuses to unlock O2 phone 17th Oct 16 at 9:59 AM
    My two year contract with O2 has just ended. I want to unlock my O2 phone (bought privately) to use on the Vodafone network. O2 has refused saying that because I did not purchase it directly from them they won't unlock it.
    Any ideas please?
    Thanks,
    Mike
Page 1
    • d123
    • By d123 17th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    • 5,784 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    d123
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    When you say bought privately I presume you mean second hand?
    Dave
    ====
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 17th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    I assume you originally had a handset and SIM deal with O2, as SIM only contracts are normally only 12 months.

My guess is that you acquired/bought another phone that is locked to O2 and which as far as O2 are concerned is not associated with you. It's no surprise they won't unlock it.

You can either ask the original owner to get it unlocked, or try a 3rd party unlock service.
    • mikevybiral
    • By mikevybiral 19th Oct 16, 8:08 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mikevybiral
    • 19th Oct 16, 8:08 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 8:08 AM
    Thanks for replies.
    Bought 3rd party unlock code from codesguru (eBay) £6.95.
    Worked fine.
    Won't be rushing back to O2 in the future.
    Regards to all,
    Mike
    PS I recommend mobilephonechecker.co.uk. Select contracts, auto & redemption for best deals.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 19th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 19th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    • 19th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    O2's reluctance stems from the fact they cannot be sure whether the phone has been stolen or simply sold on.

The unofficial unlocker doesn't care
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,082Posts Today

8,474Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: Tonight #MartinLewis looks into our family finances; Marriage tax allowance, student loans and child tax credit, 8pm on @ITV?

• Don't forget 8pm tonight ITV - should be a good show. As always my aim is to, in effect, pay you to watch #martinlewis money show

• RT @bbc5live: After midday, money-saving @MartinSLewis will be here to answer your financial questions ????https://t.co/UQMSd5TKbb https://t.?

• Follow Martin