Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bristol Kiddy
    • By Bristol Kiddy 17th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Bristol Kiddy
    Post-accident compensation calls
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    Post-accident compensation calls 17th Oct 16 at 8:35 AM
    Back in April I was involved in a motorway accident that caused considerable damage to my car. The other driver’s insurance company admitted liability, repairs were authorised and carried out (albeit taking over 7 weeks until I got my car back) and a loan car provided and paid for. I was asked several times by my insurance company whether I had any whiplash, aches or pains etc to which I replied no – I’m not one for making spurious claims.

The problem is that a few weeks after I had the car back I started receiving numerous calls from various companies (all of whom had detailed knowledge of my details, the other driver’s name and details, the insurance companies involved etc) saying that money had been put aside by the other driver’s insurance company to cover any general inconvenience or financial consequences of the accident (costs of phone calls to my insurers and repairers, bus or taxi fares, missed appointments, effect on work, just general nuisance of not having my own car etc) and it was just waiting to be claimed. I replied in each instance that although it had obviously caused a lot of inconvenience I hadn’t particularly suffered and did not consider a claim to be justified, but as time has gone on the number of calls has become almost unbearable – numerous calls virtually every day to both mobile and house phone to the point where I am just being rude and dismissive and hanging up. When I have tried to discuss it logically I’ve been told that there is a 3 year limit on claiming and that these calls are likely to continue over this period unless I claim it at which time the calls will cease (presumably as there will be no commission to be made as the claim has been dealt with).

Against my better judgement I am considering claiming just to stop this constant harassment. If I do so does anybody know if there is likely to be any consequence with regards to my insurance company and/or policy or any other downside?

Much as I hate to perpetuate these vultures making money out of todays blame culture the nuisance factor of all these cold calls disrupting my work and home life is driving me barmy.
Page 2
    • Bristol Kiddy
    • By Bristol Kiddy 18th Oct 16, 8:05 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bristol Kiddy
    Unfortunately I cannot block all unknown numbers on my mobile as I often have genuine calls from new people I need to take. When I answer it only to be confronted with the usual 4 seconds of silence then the noise and chatter of a call centre when the call connects I ring off and add the number to my blocked calls list, but unfortunately these places seem to operate using a whole batch of outgoing phone numbers. As mentioned there are also a lot of call centres using fake geographic phone numbers now so often it appears that it's a local call coming in.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 18th Oct 16, 10:17 PM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    Richard53
    When my mobile rings and it's an unlnown numberI ignore it then Google it, if they are cold callers them added to my block list.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    This. As I work nights I tend to have my phone on silent when most calls come in, so I check them out in Google before responding to a missed call. Websites like WhoCallsMe are pretty good*. Then they get blocked. Not perfect, but at least each nuisance caller can only call me once.

Although I do like the "which accident do you mean? I've had loads" response is pretty good.
    Last edited by Richard53; 18-10-2016 at 10:21 PM.
    If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart. (Attrib. to Socrates)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,455Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter