Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bristol Kiddy
    • By Bristol Kiddy 17th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Bristol Kiddy
    Post-accident compensation calls
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    Post-accident compensation calls 17th Oct 16 at 8:35 AM
    Back in April I was involved in a motorway accident that caused considerable damage to my car. The other driver’s insurance company admitted liability, repairs were authorised and carried out (albeit taking over 7 weeks until I got my car back) and a loan car provided and paid for. I was asked several times by my insurance company whether I had any whiplash, aches or pains etc to which I replied no – I’m not one for making spurious claims.

The problem is that a few weeks after I had the car back I started receiving numerous calls from various companies (all of whom had detailed knowledge of my details, the other driver’s name and details, the insurance companies involved etc) saying that money had been put aside by the other driver’s insurance company to cover any general inconvenience or financial consequences of the accident (costs of phone calls to my insurers and repairers, bus or taxi fares, missed appointments, effect on work, just general nuisance of not having my own car etc) and it was just waiting to be claimed. I replied in each instance that although it had obviously caused a lot of inconvenience I hadn’t particularly suffered and did not consider a claim to be justified, but as time has gone on the number of calls has become almost unbearable – numerous calls virtually every day to both mobile and house phone to the point where I am just being rude and dismissive and hanging up. When I have tried to discuss it logically I’ve been told that there is a 3 year limit on claiming and that these calls are likely to continue over this period unless I claim it at which time the calls will cease (presumably as there will be no commission to be made as the claim has been dealt with).

Against my better judgement I am considering claiming just to stop this constant harassment. If I do so does anybody know if there is likely to be any consequence with regards to my insurance company and/or policy or any other downside?

Much as I hate to perpetuate these vultures making money out of todays blame culture the nuisance factor of all these cold calls disrupting my work and home life is driving me barmy.
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 17th Oct 16, 8:39 AM
    • 13,668 Posts
    • 33,159 Thanks
    elsien
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:39 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:39 AM
    Register with the TPS then threaten the companies with reporting them if they don't stop cold calling. The threat of the fine they'll get generally does the trick.
    I'd also consider whacking in a complaint to the insurance company for sellng on your personal details and contact information.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 17th Oct 16, 8:51 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:51 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:51 AM
    I'd also consider whacking in a complaint to the insurance company for sellng on your personal details and contact information.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Unfortunately "you" probably agreed to this as part of the T&Cs when "you" took out insurance with them.

"you" = generic person
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 17th Oct 16, 9:00 AM
    • 2,395 Posts
    • 2,435 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:00 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:00 AM
    And there is no guarantee it was the OP's insurance company who sold on the information. You just have to think of all the individuals and organisations who become involved in recovering, accessing, providing a courtesy car and repairing the vehicle. Any of those could be the culprit.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 8,595 Posts
    • 5,616 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    Against my better judgement I am considering claiming just to stop this constant harassment.
    Originally posted by Bristol Kiddy
    Believe me that's not going to happen. Myself and many others get these calls and I've not had an accident, well certainly not in the last 10 years.

As posted sign up to the TPS and when any of them ring up just tell them they've made a mistake.
    • facade
    • By facade 17th Oct 16, 3:02 PM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 1,146 Thanks
    facade
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:02 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:02 PM
    And you will still get cold calls "conducting an important survey about health for The Government" When I invoke the TPS they tell me that they are exempt.

When all they need to get my co-operation is to offer to pay me.....

(They don't work for nothing, and neither do I)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • straighttalker
    • By straighttalker 17th Oct 16, 3:35 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    straighttalker
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:35 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:35 PM
    I wonder what would happen if you started getting cold calls about funeral payment plans or life insurance?
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 17th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    Snap! After my perfect no fault accident, I have been plagued by calls. I am not going to commit fraud as my injuries were very minor. I started off being polite but I have lost patience and for the last 67 calls I have just been rude to them. I gather there is a two-year cut off for injury claims so my calls should stop soon.
    Je suis sabot...
    • straighttalker
    • By straighttalker 17th Oct 16, 7:29 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    straighttalker
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:29 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:29 PM
    Three year cut off for personal injury.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 17th Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    • 3,661 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Just tell them you've been advised that you can't claim seeing as you died in the accident.
    • facade
    • By facade 17th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 1,146 Thanks
    facade
    Three year cut off for personal injury.
    Originally posted by straighttalker
    And that 3 years starts from when the injury was linked to the accident.

You could have a sore neck for 20 years, and then a consultant tells you this sort of injury is the result of trauma from a car accident, so you remember that big pile up when you were 18, and you can still claim.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 17th Oct 16, 8:25 PM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    I am going to top myself. I thought it was two years......
    Je suis sabot...
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 17th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    • 14,889 Posts
    • 13,133 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    Tell them you've already claimed??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • boliston
    • By boliston 17th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    boliston
    Do people still answer "random" calls like this? I would never dream of answering a call if it was not a number i recognised.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 17th Oct 16, 10:13 PM
    • 3,661 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Do people still answer "random" calls like this? I would never dream of answering a call if it was not a number i recognised.
    Originally posted by boliston
    I have little choice seeing as new customers tend not to let me know their number before calling for the first time.

Since the spam callers are more and more using "normal" mobile numbers and local geographic ones can't afford to ignore them. I now have a contact called "spam" on my phone who has a silent ringtone and something like 80 numbers. Doesn't catch all of them but it's getting there.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 18th Oct 16, 12:47 AM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    Richard53
    Truecall. Best £100 I ever spent. It reduced nuisance calls from around 30 a day to zero.

http://www.truecall.co.uk/
    If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart. (Attrib. to Socrates)
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 18th Oct 16, 6:09 AM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    Unfortunately, I use my mobile for business and do not recognise all calls.
    Je suis sabot...
    • Sagaris
    • By Sagaris 18th Oct 16, 6:29 AM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 4,798 Thanks
    Sagaris
    You can download the Truecaller app for your phone - I have been in a similar position to this, my husband was driven into at a junction earlier this year, writing my car off. Before I had the app I used to ask them for the details of the accident - 'you're calling me, you clearly have the details, so would you enlighten me please?' That used to scare most of them off! Or, 'which accident - I've had so many' would usually have them putting the phone down.

With the truecaller app it already knows which numbers have been flagged up as a nuisance - so on the first call you have the option to answer or block - I just block them - peace reigns! Give it a go - it's free too.

Good luck - they really are a nuisance.
    Almost 2 stones gone!
    RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10
    I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy!
    • oscarward
    • By oscarward 18th Oct 16, 7:24 AM
    • 559 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    oscarward
    I usually tell them the screams from the other car are haunting me, can I claim compensation even if I caused the accident?

I vary the scenario depending on what mood I'm in, the last time I told them I had crashed in to a ship which had a band playing on the deck as it went down!
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 18th Oct 16, 7:34 AM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    cjdavies
    When my mobile rings and it's an unlnown numberI ignore it then Google it, if they are cold callers them added to my block list.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

716Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter