Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • northbob
    • By northbob 17th Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    • 53Posts
    • 7Thanks
    northbob
    Conditions for investing into funds
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    Conditions for investing into funds 17th Oct 16 at 8:18 AM
    I am comparing the cost for fixed-fee platforms. For some platforms it is not possible to search online what funds and ETFs they can trade in unless you already have an account. So I asked each to confirm which I would be able to trade if I sign up.

One said yes to half on my list but that for the rest they have no holding for other clients so there may be conditions to invest into these funds. They hold some Vanguard on my list but not others, neither of 2 Fidelity or an HSBC and a Legal & General fund. All quite mainstream I would have thought.

I wanted to know what are the implications for me and have been told they would not know what these are until they attempt to place an order with the fund managers.

Obviously if the conditions are likely to be £1m minimum investment or some additional sign-up fee then this is out of the question. I do not want to spend time opening an account and find I cannot trade the funds I would want to.

Can anyone here throw some light on what the conditions are likely to be?
Page 1
    • george4064
    • By george4064 17th Oct 16, 9:34 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    george4064
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:34 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:34 AM
    The platform will be weighing up if it is worth it or not, i.e. do they really want to spend 'X' amount of effort and time to setup a new fund on their platform only for 1 client to invest £5,000 in it. Is there much demand from other clients for this same fund?

Thats the kind of things they will be thinking.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2016 - #045
    • ArmyDilllo
    • By ArmyDilllo 17th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    ArmyDilllo
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    There was a price comparison between the various platforms on the Telegraph's site a while back (they also act as a platform).
    That wasn't for the individual funds though.
    I don't have the link, but you may be able to find it with a search(?).
    Save 20k in 2016 #143: achieved £23,762.38 of £20,000 target
    Retired 17:30, Friday 30Sep16 (aged 56).
    • Linton
    • By Linton 17th Oct 16, 11:46 AM
    • 6,952 Posts
    • 6,547 Thanks
    Linton
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:46 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:46 AM
    I am surprised that half of your list wasnt available if you were after UK or EU based funds. During over 15 years of investing with mainstream platforms I cant think of funds I wanted which werent available. Admittedly I dont look for ETFs.

Are you defining the fund or the fund + class in your search? In general platforms only support 1 or 2 classes per fund.

Perhaps you could give us your list.
    • northbob
    • By northbob 17th Oct 16, 2:20 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    northbob
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:20 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:20 PM
    I am surprised that half of your list wasnt available if you were after UK or EU based funds. During over 15 years of investing with mainstream platforms I cant think of funds I wanted which werent available. Admittedly I dont look for ETFs.

Are you defining the fund or the fund + class in your search? In general platforms only support 1 or 2 classes per fund.

Perhaps you could give us your list.
    Originally posted by Linton
    The platform is ShareDealActive - no SIPP fee if you have a trading account, so it was a contender for my SIPP. But I am told they do not trade these:
    VANGUARD INV SER EMERG MKTS STK IDX ACC NAV (IE00B50MZ724)
    FIDELITY INDEX EMERGING MARKETS FUND W (GB00BLT1YT76)
    VANGUARD FUNDS PLC FTSE ALL WORLD HIGH DIV YIE (IE00B8GKDB10)
    LEGAL & GENERAL GLOBAL 100 INDEX TRUST I ACC (GB00B0CNH056)
    VANGUARD LIFESTRATEGY 100 PERC EQUITY ACC NAV VVLSRU (GB00B41XG308)
    FIDELITY INDEX WORLD FUND W GBP ACCUMULATION (GB00BLT1YP39)
    HSBC INDEX TRACKER INVESTMENT FUNDS - FTSE ALL-WORLD INDEX FUND ACCUMULATION C (GB00BMJJJF91)
    There is overlap I know, this is because I prefer to hold different funds across various accounts (SIPP, ISA, Dealing). Anyway they don't currently have these they say.
    Last edited by northbob; 17-10-2016 at 2:26 PM.
    • grey gym sock
    • By grey gym sock 17th Oct 16, 2:37 PM
    • 3,834 Posts
    • 3,233 Thanks
    grey gym sock
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:37 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:37 PM
    The platform is ShareDealActive
    Originally posted by northbob
    that would explain it. AFAICS, they don't do funds (i.e. unit trusts or OEICs) at all, only shares (including ETFs).

(sharedealactive is provided by jarvis investment management, who also run x-o.co.uk.)

VANGUARD FUNDS PLC FTSE ALL WORLD HIGH DIV YIE (IE00B8GKDB10)
    this is the only 1 in your list which is an ETF, so it's slightly surprising that they don't offer this 1.
    • northbob
    • By northbob 17th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    northbob
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    I see. Thanks.

I would not have short listed them if I knew they only did ETFs. I could not see anything on their website that said they do not trade in Funds. Maybe I have missed it. Shame. Would have saved on SIPP fees which I was keen to do. I shall keep checking alternative platforms. iWeb looks the only other with a reasonable fixed cost.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 17th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    • 6,952 Posts
    • 6,547 Thanks
    Linton
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    iii seem to have all your funds with the possible exception of the Vanguard EM fund.
    • northbob
    • By northbob 17th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    northbob
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    Yes I have looked at iii, but am also considering Telegraph Investor - which runs off the same platform and the same fees as far as I can tell, but no charge for dealing funds which makes it cheaper overall. But I don't know how the service and customer service is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,742Posts Today

5,849Users online

Martin's Twitter