Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• nmlc
    • By nmlc 17th Oct 16, 6:13 AM
    • 2,493Posts
    • 32,946Thanks
    O/S Daily Monday 17 October 2016
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:13 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 17 October 2016 17th Oct 16 at 6:13 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 17 October 2016

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark, but damp underfoot but today's forecast isn't too bad, we should get some sunshine, so x 2 loads ready to go out on the line as soon as it's daylight.

DH up and gone to work early. DS1 now getting ready for work. DS2 still in his pit.

Lunch yesterday was lovely roast chicken, stuffing, roasties, mash, brussels, carrots, broc, HG green beans, peas, yorkshires and gravy, apple crumble and custard for dessert - I did have some dessert felt really stuffed for the rest of the day. Dinner tonight is going to be pasta in a creamy tomato sauce with breaded chicken portions with a side of mushrooms.

We did get the couple of jobs we needed to get done - done, so we were able to relax after lunch - a very lazy afternoon. Next weekend won't be so chilled, as we're out all Saturday - and DS2 goes away on Monday so I'll be trying to get him to pack his bag on Friday so we know it's all done.

Back to work today, so we'll see what today brings, nice and busy hopefully. This morning I need to stop at the cash point on my way into work and also purchase the milk (my contribution to our tea/coffee rota), on the way home tonight I need to go over to my Doctors surgery and drop in my repeat prescription for my meds (meds I'm still having to take after my allergic reaction - hoping that after this next 30 days I can start to reduce them with view to coming off them all together - fingers crossed).

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 17-10-2016 at 6:33 AM.
Page 2
    • WelshWanderer
    • By WelshWanderer 17th Oct 16, 12:26 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Oh, actually, a quick question for you all.

On Wednesday my GF and I are doing a come dine with me kind of night with her brother and sister. Her brothers to make the starter, her sister will make the main and we've to make the dessert. So for 6 people and I've been told to stay clear of fruit based desserts.

Suggestions anyone?

Also, I need to make it on Tuesday to eat on Wednesday, so something that can keep.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    How about Tiramisu?
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 17th Oct 16, 12:47 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 6,522 Thanks
    Hello all, late again, though I've been up since 4.30. Been quite busy and have just had a sandwich with leftover chicken.

Very cold here and I have had to put heating on as stuff is not drying. Need to stick another load on the airer, clean that dratted bathroom YET AGAIN and iron some clothes for work. Then a toad in the hole to make for dinner, with ridiculous amount of sausages plus some added chicken for son.

I had a great charity shop find the other day, went in to get a book to read on the train and found that they had two lots of 4 Wendy Flower garden which I loved using but has been out of production for many years so snaffled both lots quick. I remember this being quite expensive but I spent 2.98 for 8 balls.

I am getting really cold even with the heating, better grab another layer!
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • elona
    • By elona 17th Oct 16, 1:04 PM
    • 10,444 Posts
    • 52,113 Thanks
    The dri buddy has got a big load of laundry dry in a few hours so am trying to move it out of the bedroom and down the hall but first need to move two large boxes for dd and husband to pick up.

Dishwasher needs emptying and tidy up of kitchen before I sort out recycling for tomorrow. Home made soup in fridge for lunch and planning egg and low fat chips for tonight and a fairly lazy day reading a book.

Could you play some upbeat music or watch a tv comedy to lift your mood?

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 17th Oct 16, 1:13 PM
    • 8,747 Posts
    • 95,391 Thanks
    I managed to finish knitting the back of my cardigan last night. There's still a long way to go; I'd like to have it for this winter, but I may have to settle for next.
    I've found a good way of getting it done - ok background first, we always record any programmes we want to see, in order to a) watch them when it's convenient, and b) fast-forward through the advert breaks.
    Now, the only thing is, quite a few of the programmes Mr LW likes, I consider to be a load of tosh (among other things) so when he puts one of those on, I can grab my knitting, tune the wretched programme out, and he still thinks I'm watching it with him. Win-win, eh? This is, of course, what happened last night. He put the last remaining programme on the recording box on to play while we had dins, it was only half over by the time we'd eaten, so I spent 25 mins or so knitting.
    The only down side is at present there's only two programmes a week he wants, so that doesn't present a lot of knitting time.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Oct 16, 1:30 PM
    • 13,710 Posts
    • 106,673 Thanks
    DD make a delicious pud at Christmas its brandy snaps stuffed with a cheesecake mixture and melted chocolate drizzled over the top, very naughty but extremely moreish,
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

Day 26 and 24/26 NSD so far spent 46.91 and have 13.09 left in my food purse
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Oct 16, 1:40 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 5,870 Thanks
    Ohhhh plenty of lovely suggestions.

I've always wanted to make Baileys cheesecake actually. I found a quick and easy sticky toffee pudding recipe on BBC which I'm tempted by. I'll decide tonight.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Follow my Debt Free Diary/Save, Save, Save Dairy - "It's not a lot, but it's enough"
    NST (10/15)
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th Oct 16, 2:47 PM
    • 4,547 Posts
    • 23,532 Thanks
    The insulation blokes 'late morning' is turning into 'late afternoon'. They have rung twice now, both times putting me back because of bad traffic- they are coming from Sunderland but I can't see any evidence of traffic delays from there to here.

The sun shines brightly and beautifully for twenty mins and then we have terrible rain showers. There's also a lot of military planes zooming around, think there's an exercise somewhere on the west coast.

Been to the shops, mainly for cream to go with the donated apple crumble some of which I've just had. Delicious it was too.

I've made the chorizo and chicken thighs concoction, only spoiled by realising that the meat is skinless and so mostly tasteless. The chorizo will have given over a lovely taste though.

I've done some online chores - emails and so on - and managed to send some monies to the right organisation but the wrong account number! The lovely agent assured me that it'll still end up in my account as she's made a note on the 'slush fund'. I also ordered some glac! cherries from Ama*on but choose four packets rather than one. It's very hard to get either green angelica or green glac! cherries any more and I need them for some stuff I want to make as gifts. At least they'll keep! EDIT - what's wrong with g l a c e ??

My new improved ash vacuum is just brilliant, much lighter and quieter than my previous one so I'm chuffed with that purchase.

Nothing else just now, just waiting for men! Story of my life really...
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 17th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 8,747 Posts
    • 95,391 Thanks
    I've always wanted to make Baileys cheesecake actually.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    I quite fancy eating a Baileys cheesecake.... what time should I come over?
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Oct 16, 4:36 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 5,870 Thanks
    The more the merrier!!! I'm sure this thread would have a lovely time if we all sat round a table and enjoyed a cuppa with some sweet things.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Follow my Debt Free Diary/Save, Save, Save Dairy - "It's not a lot, but it's enough"
    NST (10/15)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,184Posts Today

6,900Users online

Martin's Twitter