Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Terrysdelight
    • By Terrysdelight 16th Oct 16, 11:11 PM
    • 893Posts
    • 137Thanks
    Terrysdelight
    Claim on my Policy or Partner's Policy?
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:11 PM
    Claim on my Policy or Partner's Policy? 16th Oct 16 at 11:11 PM
    Hi

Grateful for some advice.

My partner is a named driver on my insurance. He also has his own policy on his own car which I am a named driver. We are both fully comp.

Partner has had a prang in my car - it's probably going to be written off. Possibly the other vehicle will be written off too!

Should the claim go in on my policy or can he claim off of his own policy?

Many thanks
    Terrysdelight
Page 1
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 17th Oct 16, 6:08 AM
    • 19,730 Posts
    • 12,094 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:08 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:08 AM
    You have no option but to claim on your own policy
    • Terrysdelight
    • By Terrysdelight 17th Oct 16, 9:42 AM
    • 893 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    Terrysdelight
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:42 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:42 AM
    You have no option but to claim on your own policy
    Originally posted by dacouch
    OK. Many thanks.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 17th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 19,730 Posts
    • 12,094 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    For the record, he will have the same cover as you under your Insurance as a named driver on your policy which I presume is Comprehensive.

Under his own Policy (Assuming he has Driving other cars cover and it does not exclude spouse / partners vehicles) then he would (Normally) be covered for Third Party Only Cover eg it only covers damage to other people but no cover for damage to the vehicle he is driving
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 18th Oct 16, 9:35 AM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 1,899 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:35 AM
    • 18th Oct 16, 9:35 AM
    Plus driving other cars cover usually applies only when there is no other policy which covers you to drive the car in question. So if he's a named driver on your policy then his DOC cover doesn't apply to your car and he wouldn't have the option of using it - even if you weren't bothered about repairing your car and only wanted the third party costs covering. Its intended purpose is so that if you have an unexpected need to drive someone else's car then you have the bare minimum cover to do so legally - not to give you a choice of policies to claim on while you're driving your partner's car.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,102Posts Today

5,433Users online

Martin's Twitter