Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 16th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    • 19,472Posts
    • 222,211Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 17th October 2016
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 17th October 2016 16th Oct 16 at 9:39 PM
    Thank you, natty, for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

Welcome to the Weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up!
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

And here goes...

you all deserve a room of your own, a place to retreat to when you've done a hard day's graft, or put up with more than you should so we'll start with your me-room and, hopefully, some me time.

Blissful Bedroom

Level 1

Open the window and strip the bed.
    Leave it to air while you scurry about doing your morning routine stuff BUT don't go downstairs empty-handed.
    take the laundry and/or empty the bedroom bin
    (I don't have a bin in my room; I cart it all to the bathroom and put it in the bin in there, actually)

Level 2
    Remake the bed with fresh linen
    Clean the windows
    Check the corners/ceiling/light fitting for cobwebs and de-web
    Dust all the light bulbs (make sure, now the dark nights are longer, that the bulbs are as bright as they can be)

Level 3
    Dust the bedroom
    Vacuum the bedroom

Extras
    Get a just-damp cloth and go round the whole house, wiping EVERY light switch and door handle.
    HHI - start the week as you mean to go on!
    Check the Toots list - can you start nibbling at a big job?
    Month end is coming - check you have all birthday cards needed for November/December
    Finally - book out some me-time - whether it's just a long bubbly bath, hair or nails appointment you do need to look after yourself! I WANT TO SEE THE ME-TIME PLAN, FOR WHATEVER DAY IT IS, RECORDED AS AN ACHIEVEMENT!

Twinkling Tuesday - Kitchen Kapers & Dining delight

Level One

sort the sides - (Susie Dent moment - this word for worktops is connected with the sideboard - which may well have come into use in Medieval times - but I am guessing)

Completely clear the worktops
    Wipe down small appliances (toaster, kettle, juicer...)
    Wipe down the splashbacks and tiles and tops
    Put back what needs to be there

Level Two - you've got some front

Yep - cupboard doors aka fronts top to bottom including handles and kickboards
    Dust the dining area

Level Three - Mop/wipe/sweep/vacuum the floor
    Clean the windows

Extras

It'll soon be stir up Sunday
    Check your BAKING INGREDIENTS cupboard(s) and/or drawers
    Chuck out anything OOD - be ruthless especially with flour - we don't want creepy crawlies moving in
    Wipe it out
    while it's drying write your shopping list of any baking ingredients you need to buy (I need caster and brown sugars...)
    if you do have critters dessicate them with a hairdryer and pop and new bags of flour in the freezer (wrapped) so your don't bring any more in

S&S the bathroom(s)
    Fling boogie - get a bin bag and fill it

Don't forget the you time - planned yours yet?

Wonderful Wednesday Living room and hallway

level one

Ditch the clutter - b put it away/bin it as appropriate
    Give the sofas/chairs a thorough vacuum
    turn the seat cushion
    plump the cushions
    shake the throws
    empty the bin

Level 2
    Dust and polish - everywhere and everything
    Clean the windows

level three - floors - clean as appropriate
    dust the doors
    polish yout door number
    make the house look welcoming

Thrilling thursday bathroom

bath - clear clutter; clean thoroughly,
    shower cubicle - wipe inside and out
    wash any shower curtain

Level 2 b
    basin and window
    wipe and polish and shine
    dont forget under the plugs

level three
    Clean the loo insode and out
    clean the floor
    empty bins
    put clutter away - thats what cupboards are for

Friday Fling - may the fly-force be with you kids rooms/spare oom

level obi one

Open the windows WIDE
    Strip beds

after a suitable time (eat your breakfast)

Make the bed

Level R2D2

dust every single surface
    clean the windows

Level C3PO

Vacuum thoroughly
    Sort out a drawer or a cupboard

extras
    sort out the clothes in one drawer or cupboard - fling the too-small
    sort out hallowe'en costumes - it's coming
    make sure the people you love know you love them
    Last edited by Valli; 20-10-2016 at 9:46 PM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!

Roadkill Rebel #16 2015 Roadkill Haul - £23.25 + 7c (Eu) + a dime (31.12.2015)
    2016 Roadkill Haul - £05.75, 10c ($) and 10c (Eu)
Page 3
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 18th Oct 16, 4:39 PM
    • 8,945 Posts
    • 114,317 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Right

1 hour sleep decluttered
    It is so peaceful here today, just loving the quite.
    Shopping is done
    Ironing is done
    VAT is done!
    Cat combed,
    Off to create something for dinner
    Sun, Sea
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 18th Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    • 6,495 Posts
    • 82,185 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Oooo super duper double whammy parents evening tonight! Delighted with my mini's so proud mum alert! Feel free to skip this bit!

[gushes]
    DS has missed some school this term with hospital etc but he's caught up every time with no trouble, he's lovely to have in class, and is on target for achieving everything he needs to this year. DD is being her marvellous self, they've set up a new reading group called the "high flyers" for her and a few kids from her year - they will get 3 "challenge" sessions each week to really push them on with more advanced material. She's a gem in class and caring and supportive to her classmates. Teacher said she'd love a class full of DDs it would make her job so easy... Hmmm. Kind of contradicts that daft mare of a teacher from last term...
    [/gushes]

Have given the hall a good sort this aft - decluttered, floor cleaned (even behind the shoe cabinet ) and dusted - oh my it needed it!

Just going to sort the kitchen then have a cuppa and listen to some reading...
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 9 - #91 - £150 so far
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 18th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    • 14,870 Posts
    • 189,904 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Well done on having such fantastic children bossy they are a credit to you. We all knew that other daft mare was wrong

Hugs good wishes and coping vibes to all who need them.

Another busy day here, landing and stair carpet was fitted this morning, so landing bookcases were emptied dragged back into position and filled (with a few books finding their way into the CS bag.) have wrapped a load of family birthday and Christmas presents (sorry LW) that can be taken over to my mums tomorrow. Have put garden bench on supports and is now got its winter cover on. Just managed to get the washing in before it started raining.
    Got a storage unit from mils that fits perfectly into ds1s re laid out room, I just need to persuade him to get rid of some excess clothes and it will be about done. Did all the needed shredding and tidied DGS's toys away.
    He wants a lift to open mic in a bit and we have ds2 & gf watching Sherlock so think m going to call it a night and read a few pages.

Tomorrow's plan.
    Canvas needs hanging in ds2s room
    Light switch surround & replacement curtain pole in our room
    Tip run to get rid of old carpet and mils leaky water butt
    Take presents over to my mums and take her for dinner
    Rehang insect houses now fence is dry
    Put parasols table and chairs in shed for winter.
    Last edited by mrs-moneypenny; 18-10-2016 at 7:44 PM.
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 18th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 8,945 Posts
    • 114,317 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Dinner done

Bossy well done to the kids on their work at school, so glad miss mo reading is where we all thought it was, and not as per other 'teacher'
    Sun, Sea
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 18th Oct 16, 9:24 PM
    • 3,928 Posts
    • 30,553 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Bossy all credit to you, after everything you have been through to raise such well adjusted kids doing so well at school you must be very proud. And yay to pot removal before CPs!

Both lots of paid stuff, bit of shopping, gym class, everyone fed, kitchen cleaned and units swished. Oh and I have thoroughly scrubbed the tiles, floor and surfaces of the downstairs loo and washed the units and worktops in the utility. Utility room floor needs washing but I have run out of steam now.

Hoping tomorrow is dry so I can get some washing out.
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 18th Oct 16, 9:24 PM
    • 1,815 Posts
    • 15,605 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Lovely to hear your little chidlers are doing so well Bossy. They're a credit to you and rude raspberries to the other teacher who was so obviously wrong about your DD.

Glad you had a peaceful day Kaz - you always sound so busy, rushing about and working. Must've been a nice change x

Had a really good meeting with my builders today and actual work....you know, real actual building work starts on 31st October. Insurers have agreed in writing to pay our claim in full, which is just wonderful and today I'm tearful for all the right reasons.

Slightly Hugely concerned that Small announced to his big bro (DSS) on the phone this evening, that we were all visiting the dinosaur museum (NHM) when he comes to stay at half-term. A round trip to Londinium on the train with my two is a kind of hell I'd not wish on other travellers... I may try to dissuade him/bribe him with an alternative activity, but I've got a feeling he's pretty set on going. Did I mention half-term...? It will be heaving...

You know my good mood? Hmmm.....
    DFBXmas2016 #27 £3606.60/£34,027.17 = 10% as at 28/6/2016/2016
    Wombling total 2016 = £5649.63 as at 14/11/2016
    Sealed pot challenge 2017 (#501)1/6/2016 = 10.12.2
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 18th Oct 16, 10:17 PM
    • 1,858 Posts
    • 27,733 Thanks
    dancemum
    Well done Minimoos and Bossy. X

Flying at parents' home today. X
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 18th Oct 16, 10:51 PM
    • 1,205 Posts
    • 17,806 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Feel free to gush Bossyyou can be proud.

Have dealt with 4 of the 'frog' folders; 1 was emptied and the contents binned, 3 others were consolidated into 1 after throwing out any pages not needed. Recycle box will be full this week.

- Washed up a load of pots and pans, cleared and wiped long kitchen top (not by putting it on short one; haven't done that one yet although I am gradually putting some of the clutter in the rightful home).
    - gathered up a load of windfall pears, made one pudding as a trial for friends coming to dinner on Sunday. Mr N approved. Still picking tomatoes from greenhouse.
    - went through supposedly updated pension details from last college; it has improved but they still have the dates wrong. How hard can it be as I worked there continuously for 10 yrs? They have put on 3 date ranges, non consecutive, with some gaps.
    - wrote half a report
    - up to date with emails but still have long task list from non-urgent ones. Sigh.
    - My time was catching up with Sunday Strictly over lunch; our time was sitting down with Mr N compiling photo book. Oh and we practised a couple of dances in the kitchen.
    - just putting together tomorrow's paperwork.

Tomorrow:
    - flu jab
    - one assessment to do
    - hopefully time to write up a bit more
    - probably pick up more pears
    - would be nice to run round with the vacuum cleaner
    - dancing class
    and who knows what else!
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 18th Oct 16, 11:15 PM
    • 4,595 Posts
    • 45,599 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening folks

How super Bossy. You must be soo proud of your sprogs and it's great to hear they are both doing so well

Wow Mrs MP - you sound like you've achieved such a lot recently. Think you deserve a day-long me-time.

We have some good news as we are getting a new-to-us car this week. Long story short - we are getting a silver 2013 Dacia Laureate on Friday afternoon, hoping it will prove less money-eating and worrying than our present, quite old 'banger'

Btw - my me-times are my every-day Spanish lessons.

Blissful Bedroom
    Open the window and strip the bed.
    Leave it to air
    Remake the bed with fresh linen
    Vacuum the bedroom

Mop/wipe/sweep/vacuum the floor
    Extras
    Check your BAKING INGREDIENTS cupboard(s) and/or drawers
    Chuck out anything OOD
    Wipe it out
    while it's drying write your shopping list of any baking

Ditch the clutter - b put it away/bin it as appropriate
    turn the seat cushion
    plump the cushions
    shake the throws
    Floors - clean as appropriate
    polish yout door number
    make the house look welcoming

Thrilling thursday bathroom
    bath - clear clutter; clean thoroughly,
    wash any shower curtain
    basin and window
    wipe and polish and shine
    dont forget under the plugs
    Clean the loo insode and out
    clean the floor

Lots of hugs, sticks and spoons for anyone needing some
    Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213:2015=3421..2016=2925.25...DEC=216.85/310
    GrocC...2014=2162:2015=2083..2016=1703.02....DEC=32.52/200
    Bulk buy.......DEC=150.59...
    GC.NSD....2015=216.....2016=193............DEC=8/15
    SPC130x54...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=41.30
    OS WL= 2/4 ......CC =NIL......Savings = tbc
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 19th Oct 16, 7:51 AM
    • 14,870 Posts
    • 189,904 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning all
    Hugs good wishes and posi/coping vibes to all who need them
    Dizzy so pleased for you that the light at the end of the tunnel is appearing brighter and you now have a date for real proper building works to start.
    Hope everyone gets their lists and plans achieved today - I've added cleaning flies out of lounge light shades to mine as noticed last night they are minging.
    Have a good day all.
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • TheDragonLady
    • By TheDragonLady 19th Oct 16, 8:54 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    TheDragonLady
    Hello, playing catch up because I ended up working on orders all day and then out in the evening yesterday.
    Sounds like you all get a lot more done in your days than I do!

Today's list;

Level One
    Completely clear the worktops
    Wipe down small appliances (toaster, kettle, juicer...)
    Wipe down the splashbacks and tiles and tops
    Put back what needs to be there

Level Two - you've got some front
    cupboard doors aka fronts top to bottom including handles and kickboards
    Mop/wipe/sweep/vacuum the floor
    S&S the bathroom
    Fling boogie - get a bin bag and fill it

Ditch the clutter - put it away/bin it as appropriate
    floors - clean as appropriate

+ Make new orders
    Update Etsy
    Networking & promo
    Laundry
    Post Office trip
    Shopping trip for winter PE kit and school tights
    Get rid of the dog poo somebody left right next to our side gate, ugh.

If I get all this done it'll be a miracle!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 19th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    • 8,877 Posts
    • 96,692 Thanks
    LameWolf
    DD is being her marvellous self, they've set up a new reading group called the "high flyers" for her and a few kids from her year - they will get 3 "challenge" sessions each week to really push them on with more advanced material.
    Originally posted by bossymoo
    I don't normally comment much about children, as I don't feel remotely qualified to do so; but this time is an exception.
    I am SO PLEASED to read this, Bossy. I'll explain: I learned to read before ever I attended school, and as a consequence, was ahead of the others. At reading lesson time, I would be shoved off in a corner and told to "help myself" to a book from the class library and read it quietly while the others had their lesson. The problem was that "Janet and John" and such-like doesn't exactly cut the mustard for a child who has already read "Alice in Wonderland", "Black Beauty" and "Aesop's Fables". As a consequence, I regarded reading lessons particularly, and school generally, as mega-boring, and to be tolerated because I had no choice; it spoiled any chance of actually enjoying the learning process. So if Miss Moo is going to be encouraged, and given more advanced material, I think that's really great!
    And of course well done to both the Little Moos.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 19th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    • 3,928 Posts
    • 30,553 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

Great news Dizzy. LR is not too bad but will try and swish the duster around in there. Paid stuff no. 1 done, supermarket shopping done and put away, steak and kidney pudding put in sc before work and washing hung out. Pilates later but first I must do some work on job no. 2.

So pleased for DS. Last week he covered a shift at work for someone who called in sick - even though he had already done his own shift and was really tired. The big boss came up to him and thanked him today and gave him a little bonus. Isnt it lovely that some employers look after their staff so well, even the young ones on minimum wage.

And LW I agree, reading is so important to childrens education and such an enjoyable thing to do so it should be interesting and challenging.

Right this isnt getting work done is it?
    • Biscuit monster
    • By Biscuit monster 19th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 8,559 Thanks
    Biscuit monster
    Hello all,

Argh, nowt done except long dog walk, lunch eaten, been in school all afternoon listening to readers and at a meeting.

Must do something!!!!!!!!!!!

Bossy will done to your lovely children x

Dizzy we went to NHM in Feb half term once. It was arrrrggggggggggghhhhhh.
    But if might be fine
    • Valli
    • By Valli 19th Oct 16, 6:38 PM
    • 19,472 Posts
    • 222,211 Thanks
    Valli
    Sis collapsed yesterday because radiotherapy has zapped the spine tumour but tumour has attacked bone so bit missing as far as i can understand. Plan to pin spine followed by rehabilitation asap.

Not much flying done obvs
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!

Roadkill Rebel #16 2015 Roadkill Haul - £23.25 + 7c (Eu) + a dime (31.12.2015)
    2016 Roadkill Haul - £05.75, 10c ($) and 10c (Eu)
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 19th Oct 16, 6:54 PM
    • 1,858 Posts
    • 27,733 Thanks
    dancemum
    Thinking of your sister and you Valli X

Ds2 taken to the dentist and dropped off at school.

Me time had with a cuppa in Mr T's cafe.

Ground floor dysoned 1xwm done.
    BinL popped in to look at kitchen tiles.
    • gilly1964
    • By gilly1964 19th Oct 16, 6:58 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 6,635 Thanks
    gilly1964
    Hi all,

Mid week report in

Bossy, brilliant news from the children's school. I also agree with LW as I was reading things like The Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Andersen, Little House on the Prairie and adored The Famous Five, I always wanted to be George

Dizzy, good news on the building front. It seems like you have been in the caravan for ever and I am sure it probably feels longer

I have cleared some frogs, almost feels like a pond full

I broke Anna Pavlovas arm when cleaning and she was repaired quite quickly, but I was too scared to take her back out of the box. She is now back in pride of place with Isadora Duncan and Antonio Ruiz

All the filing is up to date, new folders

Tax rebate claimed

All socks paired and put away

Have a good week all
    • gilly1964
    • By gilly1964 19th Oct 16, 7:02 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 6,635 Thanks
    gilly1964
    Valli

We cross posted

Thinking of you and your sister xxx
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 19th Oct 16, 7:13 PM
    • 8,945 Posts
    • 114,317 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Valli thinking of your sister and you hugs xxxx

Work done
    Daily stuff done
    Sun, Sea
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 19th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 6,495 Posts
    • 82,185 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Oh Valli that sounds dreadful. Your poor sister xxx

Not achieved a lot today as been out at college. I've left it a little late but I looked at kiddies shoes and DS could do with some trainers before the weekend really

Most I've done is a wash and kept on top of the kitchenables. Will make DS some pack up and have a think how I'm going to do tomorrow night. We have two parties and football training, 4-5, 5-6 and 6-7 I need to make sure we can eat and change at the right times... Oh dear! And I need to pack. Torches and batteries will be needed. And our swim bits. I might do the wash bag tonight... Forecast is dry but chilly. So hats and gloves, and I'll take wellies just in case the woods are still damp.

Tomorrow will be packing, washing and so on. Actually, I could stick another wash on now... Including my jeans I'm wearing, lol, I better get ready for bed I suppose!

Off I go...
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 9 - #91 - £150 so far
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

239Posts Today

2,213Users online

Martin's Twitter