Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 16th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    • 19,468Posts
    • 222,180Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 17th October 2016
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 17th October 2016 16th Oct 16 at 9:39 PM
    Thank you, natty, for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

Welcome to the Weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up!
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

And here goes...

you all deserve a room of your own, a place to retreat to when you've done a hard day's graft, or put up with more than you should so we'll start with your me-room and, hopefully, some me time.

Blissful Bedroom

Level 1

Open the window and strip the bed.
    Leave it to air while you scurry about doing your morning routine stuff BUT don't go downstairs empty-handed.
    take the laundry and/or empty the bedroom bin
    (I don't have a bin in my room; I cart it all to the bathroom and put it in the bin in there, actually)

Level 2
    Remake the bed with fresh linen
    Clean the windows
    Check the corners/ceiling/light fitting for cobwebs and de-web
    Dust all the light bulbs (make sure, now the dark nights are longer, that the bulbs are as bright as they can be)

Level 3
    Dust the bedroom
    Vacuum the bedroom

Extras
    Get a just-damp cloth and go round the whole house, wiping EVERY light switch and door handle.
    HHI - start the week as you mean to go on!
    Check the Toots list - can you start nibbling at a big job?
    Month end is coming - check you have all birthday cards needed for November/December
    Finally - book out some me-time - whether it's just a long bubbly bath, hair or nails appointment you do need to look after yourself! I WANT TO SEE THE ME-TIME PLAN, FOR WHATEVER DAY IT IS, RECORDED AS AN ACHIEVEMENT!

Twinkling Tuesday - Kitchen Kapers & Dining delight

Level One

sort the sides - (Susie Dent moment - this word for worktops is connected with the sideboard - which may well have come into use in Medieval times - but I am guessing)

Completely clear the worktops
    Wipe down small appliances (toaster, kettle, juicer...)
    Wipe down the splashbacks and tiles and tops
    Put back what needs to be there

Level Two - you've got some front

Yep - cupboard doors aka fronts top to bottom including handles and kickboards
    Dust the dining area

Level Three - Mop/wipe/sweep/vacuum the floor
    Clean the windows

Extras

It'll soon be stir up Sunday
    Check your BAKING INGREDIENTS cupboard(s) and/or drawers
    Chuck out anything OOD - be ruthless especially with flour - we don't want creepy crawlies moving in
    Wipe it out
    while it's drying write your shopping list of any baking ingredients you need to buy (I need caster and brown sugars...)
    if you do have critters dessicate them with a hairdryer and pop and new bags of flour in the freezer (wrapped) so your don't bring any more in

S&S the bathroom(s)
    Fling boogie - get a bin bag and fill it

Don't forget the you time - planned yours yet?

Wonderful Wednesday Living room and hallway

level one

Ditch the clutter - b put it away/bin it as appropriate
    Give the sofas/chairs a thorough vacuum
    turn the seat cushion
    plump the cushions
    shake the throws
    empty the bin

Level 2
    Dust and polish - everywhere and everything
    Clean the windows

level three - floors - clean as appropriate
    dust the doors
    polish yout door number
    make the house look welcoming

Thrilling thursday bathroom

bath - clear clutter; clean thoroughly,
    shower cubicle - wipe inside and out
    wash any shower curtain

Level 2 b
    basin and window
    wipe and polish and shine
    dont forget under the plugs

level three
    Clean the loo insode and out
    clean the floor
    empty bins
    put clutter away - thats what cupboards are for

Friday Fling - may the fly-force be with you kids rooms/spare oom

level obi one

Open the windows WIDE
    Strip beds

after a suitable time (eat your breakfast)

Make the bed

Level R2D2

dust every single surface
    clean the windows

Level C3PO

Vacuum thoroughly
    Sort out a drawer or a cupboard

extras
    sort out the clothes in one drawer or cupboard - fling the too-small
    sort out hallowe'en costumes - it's coming
    make sure the people you love know you love them
    Last edited by Valli; 20-10-2016 at 9:46 PM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!

Roadkill Rebel #16 2015 Roadkill Haul - £23.25 + 7c (Eu) + a dime (31.12.2015)
    2016 Roadkill Haul - £05.75, 10c ($) and 10c (Eu)
Page 2
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 17th Oct 16, 11:45 AM
    • 8,861 Posts
    • 96,539 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Valli sorry to hear about the elderly lady's passing.

Our bedlinen was done at the weekend, as I can't manage it on my own; it's a holdover from before Mr LW retired that we change the bed on Saturdays, but I see no reason to amend the day.

So the bedlinen is all washed and dried already; but I've done a WM load of Mr LW's clothes this morning, and they're out in the sunshine.

I've emailed another dog-minding company, to see if they'll take me on; I've explained the situation, detailed my seven years experience, plus the times I looked after our pal A's dog, plus having had my own little Penny-Dog, told them the dates of my remaining commitments, so we'll see what happens. Everything crossed.

I've spent a lovely half-hour with Jack and his brush, tidying up his feathery bits and brushing out the bits of the Great Outdoors he'd managed to pick up on his morning walk; he was trimmed just before he came to stay, so it's not an onerous task, and strange as it may seem, I find grooming dogs to be very therapeutic; so I reckon it counts as Me-Time. I actually detest doing my own hair and nails etc, and find these tasks to be a real grind, so there's no pleasure in them for me, but brushing a dog is a whole other matter.

I'll be doing as much as my health, and Jack's requirements, allow this week.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 17th Oct 16, 12:58 PM
    • 6,489 Posts
    • 82,101 Thanks
    bossymoo
    I'm all studied out and printed so ready for Wednesday! Go me!

Just doing a quick scan on the laptop then I think I'll pop to @ldi for some milk and veg.

My bedroom is okay so can wait, but I've washed towels and now kids bedding is in, since I changed theirs last night.

Conversation had with doc re DD meds so that's all reviewed and ticked for another year. He didn't have much to say really, just a tick of a box and away we go. I should pop her repeat prescription in too.

Right, I'll go get what we need, and empty the kitchen bin on my way out...
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 9 - #91 - £150 so far
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 17th Oct 16, 2:20 PM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 30,347 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Oh thanks Bossy must put a big note somewhere to remind me to collect DS1s prescription or we will run out.

Will do our bedding later, bedroom is reasonably tidy, could probably do with a quick dust.

Up at 6am, 10km on the spinning bike before my shower, mince hotpot in the sc, washing off the airer and into the tumbler and another load over the airer. Have just run the carpert sweeper around and had a quick tidy. More paid stuff now then back to work no. 1 for a meeting later.

LW I love brushing our dog, he loves it too, its very restful. And it saves all the hair being spread around the house.

Right, better get on with some more work.
    • hex2
    • By hex2 17th Oct 16, 6:43 PM
    • 4,556 Posts
    • 78,491 Thanks
    hex2
    embb, good to see you!

I am in again. It really helped last week even though I didn't get everything done.

Thanks for the thread Valli
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • froddington
    • By froddington 17th Oct 16, 8:40 PM
    • 6,489 Posts
    • 91,956 Thanks
    froddington
    Evening all - thanks for the lists Valli

Parents' Evening done but a 12 hour day has pooped me so I think I'll be in bed early tonight!

List (in the hope that I'll find the energy to do something off of it at some time this week!!)

Blissful Bedroom

Level 1
    Open the window and strip the bed.

Level 2
    Remake the bed with fresh linen
    Clean the windows
    Check the corners/ceiling/light fitting for cobwebs and de-web
    Dust all the light bulbs (make sure, now the dark nights are longer, that the bulbs are as bright as they can be)

Level 3
    Dust the bedroom
    Vacuum the bedroom
    "There's only one way of life - and that's your own"
    Depression is not a sign of weakness;
    it's a sign you have been strong for too long
    MFW No.3 Mortgage OPs 2016 £3250
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 17th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    • 1,810 Posts
    • 15,541 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Well, my day went to rat poo, as expected. I did manage to get an hour of ironing done and tidied one corner of my bedroom before I was called away to sort out organising a concrete base for our new tin slum static caravan that should be ready in a few weeks.

And then, well, I'm not sure where the rest of my day went emails, phone calls, changing beds, working out the new phones we had to buy as Tiny had lobbed our only working one into the dog water bowl, after school karate club and cooking a roast chicken dinner, juggling small children and drooling dogs when carving the bird...ooh, and I steam extracted 6 litres of damson and apple juice from fruit picked at the weekend (delish!)

Still haven't brushed my hair instead, I have tied it up into what I understand is this season's hot trend....the messy bun.

I'm now "enjoying" the football. hmmmm......
    DFBXmas2016 #27 £3606.60/£34,027.17 = 10% as at 28/6/2016/2016
    Wombling total 2016 = £5649.63 as at 14/11/2016
    Sealed pot challenge 2017 (#501)1/6/2016 = 10.12.2
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 17th Oct 16, 8:51 PM
    • 8,936 Posts
    • 114,208 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Evening

Thank you for all the lists.

Did a drive today to see SGS 7 months.............a real cutie

Other daily general stuff done, including sitting in a traffic jam for 1 hour near heathrow...............
    Sun, Sea
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 17th Oct 16, 8:55 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 8,433 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    !)what I understand is this season's hot trend....the messy bun.
    Originally posted by Dizzy Imp
    Dizzy - I wear my hair in what I call a "lazy mum bun" everyday - generously covered in dry shampoo to make me look a little less slovenly Your day sounds as draining as mine - have a hug and a glass of rose x
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 3.11.16 - £139,251.40
    • embb
    • By embb 17th Oct 16, 9:28 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 62,501 Thanks
    embb
    Heya Hex hope youre well chick x

Is it bedtime yet? Theres been lots of super busy flyladies today, makes you wanna win the lottery and head off into the sunset with someone lovely that doesnt want looking after lol

Ticked off my list pretty much, never did get round to sticking a wash on cos i got sidetracked by chucking some old carp furniture down the stairs and out the front door....as you do...but no matter im positive itll still be there tomorrow and it will have gained some friends to keep it company..meh. onwards and upwards.

goodnight lovely ladies catch ya in the a.m. xx
    • Biscuit monster
    • By Biscuit monster 17th Oct 16, 10:43 PM
    • 636 Posts
    • 8,518 Thanks
    Biscuit monster
    Evening all!

Pooped!

Do all the daily stuff
    Dust bedroom
    Hoover bedroom

Strip and remake bed Can't be bothered!
    HHI not enough hours in day!
    Go for run

I have also done a full day of paid stuff, taken my boots to the cobblers, did some froggy paperwork and helped dds with a bit of homework.
    As for the me time Valli, as well as going for another riding lesson on Thursday, I went into town on my lunch hour for a sandwich. Ended up popping into marks and sparklers and buying some new boots, slippers and jeans. Not very but possibly counts as me time. By the way Valli , hope your sister is as pain free as she can be. You are right about families first x

LW got my fingers crossed for you for more dogs!

Right, bedtime x
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 17th Oct 16, 10:54 PM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 30,018 Thanks
    ionafan
    Evening all

Had a very busy weekend course, learnt a lot and had plenty of laughs with the other 5 people on my course and 2 tutors, both of whom I've known for some time. It was good.

This morning I took DH into town and left him there to go to the U3A canals group.
    Meanwhile I had another busy day with lots of reading and thinking.
    Did WMx1.
    Tidied LR and our BR.
    S&S'd bathroom and kitchen.

Thank you Valli for the new list, and Natty for last week's, but the next few days are going to involve lots more studying and several meetings, so I may not get much flying done (again)

I had quite a surprise at lunchtime: DH came home from town and announced that he's hiring a full dinner jacket suit for the SW ball next month, so now I have definitely got to find a posh dress

Hope your sis is in less pain now, Valli - big (((hugs))) to you both.

More (((hugs)))) spoons and sticks all round, as needed x
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 17th Oct 16, 11:28 PM
    • 1,197 Posts
    • 17,701 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Still haven't brushed my hair instead, I have tied it up into what I understand is this season's hot trend....the messy bun.
    Originally posted by Dizzy Imp
    I'm delighted to now be trendy.

Mixed day of achievement. Much of the flying was done by Mr N who loaded 3 loads of washing including bedding, hung them out and brought them in. Then he took his mum shopping so did ours too. At least I unpacked it and put it away.

I finished one report and emailed it, and have scored up 2 others.
    Got paperwork and plans ready for tomorrow's student.
    Caught up with emails including what is turning out to be an information sheet for a person who responded to an ad I put on Freecycle to get rid of some water lilies. I asked him how many he wanted - he gave a few details but said he didn't know much about ponds - so I emailed back giving him a bit of advice!! What an interesting life I lead.........
    Caught up with work bookings.
    Tried without a great deal of success to declutter/clean tablet which is running slowly.
    Collected windfall apples.
    Watered greenhouse.
    Pulled out a few weeds.
    Checked, organised, labelled post both incoming and outgoing.
    Cooked dinner.
    For me - caught up with Sat's Strictly while Mr N was at gym.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • Biscuit monster
    • By Biscuit monster 18th Oct 16, 7:00 AM
    • 636 Posts
    • 8,518 Thanks
    Biscuit monster
    Morning,

Just posting my list for the day :

Daily stuff
    Wipe appliances, cupboard doors, tiles etc
    Dust kitchen diner and conservatory
    Clean windows kitchen diner and conservatory
    Menu plan
    Do some research for school meeting

Right, of to make packed lunches and get ready for the world.

Have a lovely day everyone x
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 18th Oct 16, 7:27 AM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 8,433 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning All,

Flying off-list today, doing some childcare for family so what little I achieve will be done in and amongst looking after three under 5s. I must must must:

- Run 2 WM loads
    - Run DW
    - Vacuum upstairs
    - Pay a bill from last week
    - Make a chilli
    - Clean the oven (I used to pay someone to do this )

I will also drop a couple of bits into the charity shop if I remember.

Have lovely days all x
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 3.11.16 - £139,251.40
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 18th Oct 16, 7:49 AM
    • 4,140 Posts
    • 41,938 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Hope you're all ok.

Change of plan for me today. I'm already doing paid stuff so will take tomorrow off instead. Also I have dusted the dusty bits and cleaned the inside of the windows in the LR and HSL.

Poppet will have her first proper walk today, very exciting.

Oh and me time yesterday was painting my nails while DS looked after the dogs.

Have a great day everyone.
    Crazy clothes challenge 2016 (Needs not wants, from CS where poss)
    £303.13

• embb
    • By embb 18th Oct 16, 8:44 AM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 62,501 Thanks
    embb
    Good Morning

valli, continued thoughts for you and hope your sister is comfortable x

k, emptied the sink drainer and the dw, took teenie to the metro station and popped into morries on the way back for car oil, mushrooms and spaghetti (guess what were having for tea lol) yup, prepped spag bol in the SC, made 2 x brews, and seen to the dog and the cat. Will be popping upstairs shortly to get the washing and to open curtains windows etc etc.

Work 10 till 2.30 today 3 houses back to back but 2 are ironing only, then teenie pick back up, then....the big clean Tuesday will commence.....

complete clean of kitchen inc. Unit fronts, paintwork, benches, floor hoover and mop

LR complete clean, hoover and windows
    Hallway....hoover and mop
    stairs.....hoover
    cloakroom.....full clean inc. Windows and paintwork

I do the bathroom on thursday along with the landing, and the beds and bedrooms as and when, the kids do their own so its only mine and seeing as its being used as storage which im slowly getting through, theres no floor as such, im trying to do one little thing per day, hence the old furniture going yesterday.

well, have a good day ladies, see you in the P.M.

laters xxxx
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 18th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    • 1,197 Posts
    • 17,701 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    I have a bit of extra time today owing to a student cancelling, so I need to make the most of it.

Been to zumba.
    Cleared bedroom floordrobe.
    Filled bird feeders.

I have set myself a new frog: there are 37 folders/boxes on 3 shelves in my study. I have been meaning to go through them for yonks a) because I know some of them could be flung out or consolidated and b) I need the room as my "completed assessments" shelves are full (you have to keep original data for 7 yrs). I'm not going to say that I will spend all day/week doing it; my target is to look through 7 folders each week - some of them will be easy to sort and others will take a long time and a lot of thought (they range from 'pension info', 'worksheets' - and others of you who are teachers will know how many of those we keep just in case..........and current folders I am using for this year's invoices). So watch this space.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 18th Oct 16, 12:17 PM
    • 8,936 Posts
    • 114,208 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Morning folks, well it is just sort of morning

Anyway been up since 5am couldn't sleep, not too sure what I have done, but I have now stopped, so all the odds and s ods I have done, have taken me 7 hours! toads and frog eaten, small odds done.

I put the dehumidifier on in the Dining room last night and so far have removed 5.5 pints of water from it................

Just to the VAT to do next to keep HMRC happy!
    Sun, Sea
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 18th Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    • 6,489 Posts
    • 82,101 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Howdy!

We are potless!!! Hurrah! No bikes or contact sports for 4 weeks, and no big water slides at CP either, but he can swim and go on the little slides as long as he is careful.
    And, he can now wear long sleeves yaay
    So, because it was almost lunchtime he's had a McDs and talked me into going into "smiggle"

So now I need to do some jobs till 3 then get ready for parents evenings!

Off I go...
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 9 - #91 - £150 so far
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 18th Oct 16, 2:15 PM
    • 3,869 Posts
    • 39,619 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I am streaming with cold, so I'm not having 30 mins Me Time, I'm having a day of it, sitting on the sofa and reading blogs. However, at some point I am going to have to stir myself and deal with two bits of carpet the dog (he's the dog when he's trying, Kelpie when he's lovely, obvs) has yakked and pee'd on. Just as well my cold means I have no sense of smell.
    Keeping it AF
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,658Posts Today

7,241Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin