Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 16th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    • 19,472Posts
    • 222,201Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 17th October 2016
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 17th October 2016 16th Oct 16 at 9:39 PM
    Thank you, natty, for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

Welcome to the Weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up!
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

And here goes...

you all deserve a room of your own, a place to retreat to when you've done a hard day's graft, or put up with more than you should so we'll start with your me-room and, hopefully, some me time.

Blissful Bedroom

Level 1

Open the window and strip the bed.
    Leave it to air while you scurry about doing your morning routine stuff BUT don't go downstairs empty-handed.
    take the laundry and/or empty the bedroom bin
    (I don't have a bin in my room; I cart it all to the bathroom and put it in the bin in there, actually)

Level 2
    Remake the bed with fresh linen
    Clean the windows
    Check the corners/ceiling/light fitting for cobwebs and de-web
    Dust all the light bulbs (make sure, now the dark nights are longer, that the bulbs are as bright as they can be)

Level 3
    Dust the bedroom
    Vacuum the bedroom

Extras
    Get a just-damp cloth and go round the whole house, wiping EVERY light switch and door handle.
    HHI - start the week as you mean to go on!
    Check the Toots list - can you start nibbling at a big job?
    Month end is coming - check you have all birthday cards needed for November/December
    Finally - book out some me-time - whether it's just a long bubbly bath, hair or nails appointment you do need to look after yourself! I WANT TO SEE THE ME-TIME PLAN, FOR WHATEVER DAY IT IS, RECORDED AS AN ACHIEVEMENT!

Twinkling Tuesday - Kitchen Kapers & Dining delight

Level One

sort the sides - (Susie Dent moment - this word for worktops is connected with the sideboard - which may well have come into use in Medieval times - but I am guessing)

Completely clear the worktops
    Wipe down small appliances (toaster, kettle, juicer...)
    Wipe down the splashbacks and tiles and tops
    Put back what needs to be there

Level Two - you've got some front

Yep - cupboard doors aka fronts top to bottom including handles and kickboards
    Dust the dining area

Level Three - Mop/wipe/sweep/vacuum the floor
    Clean the windows

Extras

It'll soon be stir up Sunday
    Check your BAKING INGREDIENTS cupboard(s) and/or drawers
    Chuck out anything OOD - be ruthless especially with flour - we don't want creepy crawlies moving in
    Wipe it out
    while it's drying write your shopping list of any baking ingredients you need to buy (I need caster and brown sugars...)
    if you do have critters dessicate them with a hairdryer and pop and new bags of flour in the freezer (wrapped) so your don't bring any more in

S&S the bathroom(s)
    Fling boogie - get a bin bag and fill it

Don't forget the you time - planned yours yet?

Wonderful Wednesday Living room and hallway

level one

Ditch the clutter - b put it away/bin it as appropriate
    Give the sofas/chairs a thorough vacuum
    turn the seat cushion
    plump the cushions
    shake the throws
    empty the bin

Level 2
    Dust and polish - everywhere and everything
    Clean the windows

level three - floors - clean as appropriate
    dust the doors
    polish yout door number
    make the house look welcoming

Thrilling thursday bathroom

bath - clear clutter; clean thoroughly,
    shower cubicle - wipe inside and out
    wash any shower curtain

Level 2 b
    basin and window
    wipe and polish and shine
    dont forget under the plugs

level three
    Clean the loo insode and out
    clean the floor
    empty bins
    put clutter away - thats what cupboards are for

Friday Fling - may the fly-force be with you kids rooms/spare oom

level obi one

Open the windows WIDE
    Strip beds

after a suitable time (eat your breakfast)

Make the bed

Level R2D2

dust every single surface
    clean the windows

Level C3PO

Vacuum thoroughly
    Sort out a drawer or a cupboard

extras
    sort out the clothes in one drawer or cupboard - fling the too-small
    sort out hallowe'en costumes - it's coming
    make sure the people you love know you love them
    Last edited by Valli; 20-10-2016 at 9:46 PM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!

Roadkill Rebel #16 2015 Roadkill Haul - £23.25 + 7c (Eu) + a dime (31.12.2015)
    2016 Roadkill Haul - £05.75, 10c ($) and 10c (Eu)
Page 1
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 16th Oct 16, 10:17 PM
    • 14,864 Posts
    • 189,807 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:17 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:17 PM
    Thanks Valli
    I'll be in as and when I can as I explained at the end of the last thread I'll be mostly off list this week.
    Hugs for everyone who needs them.
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 16th Oct 16, 10:20 PM
    • 1,201 Posts
    • 17,754 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:20 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:20 PM
    Thanks for lists.
    Back from a lovely weekend - need to do something sitting down tomorrow as my feet are killing me! 23000 steps on Fri and about 16000 yesterday - all clifftops, beach and boulders!

Not sure yet on this week's priorities apart from list, apart from keeping up with report writing and emails, dust, cobwebs, piles that clutter the place up............and garden doubtless gone wild.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 16th Oct 16, 10:34 PM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 27,702 Thanks
    dancemum
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:34 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:34 PM
    I'm in again. I hope to do more this week. Thank you for the lists Valli and Natty X

Ironing done
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 16th Oct 16, 11:01 PM
    • 4,588 Posts
    • 45,523 Thanks
    lynnejk
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:01 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:01 PM
    Evening folks

Thanks for lists for last week Natty and for this week Valli

Blissful Bedroom
    Open the window and strip the bed.
    Leave it to air
    Remake the bed with fresh linen
    Check the corners/ceiling/light fitting for cobwebs and de-web
    Dust all the light bulbs (make sure, now the dark nights are longer, that the bulbs are as bright as they can be)
    Dust the bedroom
    Vacuum the bedroom
    Extras
    Get a just-damp cloth and go round the whole house, wiping EVERY light switch and door handle.
    Check the Toots list - can you start nibbling at a big job?
    Month end is coming - check you have all birthday cards needed for November/December
    Finally - book out some me-time

Lots of hugs, sticks and spoons for all needing some
    Hope you all have a super Monday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213:2015=3421..2016=2925.25...DEC=195.09/310
    GrocC...2014=2162:2015=2083..2016=1703.02....DEC=32.52/200
    Bulk buy.......DEC=150.59...
    GC.NSD....2015=216.....2016=193............DEC=5/15
    SPC130x54...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=41.30
    OS WL= 2/4 ......CC =NIL......Savings = tbc
    • Biscuit monster
    • By Biscuit monster 17th Oct 16, 6:23 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 8,546 Thanks
    Biscuit monster
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:23 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:23 AM
    Morning all,

I've made a resolution to get up earlier. Hopefully it will make a difference!

Thanks for the lists Valli and Natty.

Paid stuff all day today, but I will try to :

Do all the daily stuff
    Dust bedroom
    Hoover bedroom
    Strip and remake bed
    HHI
    Go for run

See you all later x
    • jackywhizz
    • By jackywhizz 17th Oct 16, 6:42 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 16,454 Thanks
    jackywhizz
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:42 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:42 AM
    Morning everyone. I'm in although am not posting as I don't have time.

Thanks to Natti for last weeks thread
    and Valli for this one.

valli hope your sis is comfortable soon.

Hugs for anyone else who needs one.

WM is awaiting a new part and won't be fixed till tomorrow afternoon - Mount Washmore is back with avengence. ��Can't change the bed until I have cleared some of it at least.
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 17th Oct 16, 6:56 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 15,587 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:56 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:56 AM
    I'm in too please! Thanks for listies Valli and Natty. This week I will actually try to follow them

I'm glad today is the master bedroom as mine is a **** pit Still feeling a bit snuffly but had a great weekend making plans for the house and garden, so feeling positive this morning. Not sure what DH's early alarm call at 5am means for my energy levels later, but I'll try to power through... why does he needs to go into work quite so early!? Ah yes, he's very demented dedicated.

Hugs to all - I've been reading, just not posting, so I'm up to speed with all the news. Sending supporting vibes to all in need...you know who you are x
    DFBXmas2016 #27 £3606.60/£34,027.17 = 10% as at 28/6/2016/2016
    Wombling total 2016 = £5649.63 as at 14/11/2016
    Sealed pot challenge 2017 (#501)1/6/2016 = 10.12.2
    • embb
    • By embb 17th Oct 16, 7:08 AM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 62,501 Thanks
    embb
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:08 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:08 AM
    Good Moaning lovelies

im in this week but working mainly off list, hrs are such at work that i have to have my own special plan haha, but im here for the support and the chit chat...ive missed you guys xx

Already done my bombsite of a kitchen...how the hecky peck does it happen EVERYDAY..sheesh. got the dw on and will gather a load for the wm, work is a back achingly 7 hrs today then ive got teenie pick up straight after and tesco popping in with some food between 5 n 6, then make tea so the morning routine is crucial.

laters gators xx
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 17th Oct 16, 7:22 AM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning All,

Thank you for the list I am in

Dog needed a poo at 3am, then similar to the Dizzy household DH alarm went off at 5am. I suspect I may be nodding later....

Best get on, catch up properly later xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 3.11.16 - £139,251.40
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Oct 16, 7:56 AM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 42,089 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Was up at 5am to take DH to work but then went back to bed (after putting bins out for collection) and have not long been up. Doglets have behaved so no deck scrubbing this morning.

DS is here and I'm taking him out for lunch today so flying will be minimal. Thank you for the list Valli.

Well done on the running Raphael.

Have a great day everyone.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! Jan £0

• katiecat
    • By katiecat 17th Oct 16, 8:46 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 3,199 Thanks
    katiecat
    Morning all

Glad its bedroom today I was looking at it yesterday thinking what a mess!

Thanks for the lists last week and this- will follow as much as I can.

Hope we all have a peaceful week and hugs to all

Katiecat
    • Valli
    • By Valli 17th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 19,472 Posts
    • 222,201 Thanks
    Valli
    I have pegged out my bedding, and a Voldemort wash (dark load lol) the bedroom window is open and the room is being freshened up and I have cleaned out Benny the Bunny's hutch.

Flyladies - family first; lists second. Just heard my friend's hubby's mum has passed. She was 91 but still..

• bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 17th Oct 16, 9:33 AM
    • 6,492 Posts
    • 82,153 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Morning all,

Thanks for the lists, but I will be flying off-piste this week. Today is a study day, tomorrow is hospital and parents evenings, Wednesday is college and Thursday I need to pack as we go away on Friday...

Had a nice weekend away with friends, and a lovely evening with the kiddies last night, we did early baths and watched the dancing on iplayer and generally cuddled n stuff. I was only away one night!

Right, promised myself an hour later on if I can get my homework done by lunchtime! Off I go!
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 9 - #91 - £150 so far
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 17th Oct 16, 9:40 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 15,587 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Morning All,

Thank you for the list I am in

Dog needed a poo at 3am, then similar to the Dizzy household DH alarm went off at 5am. I suspect I may be nodding later....

Best get on, catch up properly later xx
    Originally posted by atypicalblonde
    Sorry ATB, but that sentence made me laugh out loud! I'm sure we are twin families living in parallel universes...
    DFBXmas2016 #27 £3606.60/£34,027.17 = 10% as at 28/6/2016/2016
    Wombling total 2016 = £5649.63 as at 14/11/2016
    Sealed pot challenge 2017 (#501)1/6/2016 = 10.12.2
    • notimetospare
    • By notimetospare 17th Oct 16, 9:41 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    notimetospare
    Morning all,

I'm in, thanks for the lists x

Master bedroom here is stripped and ready for sanding so I will attempt to tackle Dd1 bedroom!

Lovely day here today, so 1 load in the washer and hopefully will be able to dry it outside. DW on its 2nd load.

See you soon x
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 17th Oct 16, 9:45 AM
    • 3,880 Posts
    • 39,748 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Finally - book out some me-time - whether it's just a long bubbly bath, hair or nails appointment you do need to look after yourself! I WANT TO SEE THE ME-TIME PLAN, FOR WHATEVER DAY IT IS, RECORDED AS AN ACHIEVEMENT!
    Originally posted by Valli
    Valli, you're a mind reader. I did exactly this yesterday, bubbles indulged, hooves clipped and hair washed. I feel pampered and very girly, not like me at all. Today is busy with OH going to the dentist, then both of us to the garden centre, and finally to pick up the new to us car. Hurrah! After that I'll be piling all of the old car's gibble into the new one to make it feel like home.

Thanks for the lists Natty and Valli, much appreciated, and well done on the run Raphael, even if you're not happy with the time. You did it, which is more than most of us couch potatoes.

Must defluff bathroom today and then I'm back to reading a blog that's helping me to understand how to stop buying food we don't need because we have a freezerful, tins coming out of our ears, packets squashed into spaces food shouldn't be, jars everywhere. I found a 30 litre storage box in the attic full of the rest of last year's jams and jellies. The thought of dealing with this year's crop of crabapples in November makes me feel quite queasy as a result. The local homeless project may be getting a delivery later this week ....
    Keeping it AF
    • Valli
    • By Valli 17th Oct 16, 10:05 AM
    • 19,472 Posts
    • 222,201 Thanks
    Valli
    After umming and ahhing about whether to pop round with flowers I have cooked up the last of the gifted apples (much easier to prep now I have hit on the idea of levelling the base of the apple before pressing down with the corer/slicer thing) which is enough for two crumbles. And knocked up a double batch of topping in the food processor. So I shall pop round with a HM apple crumble, as well as a sympathy card.

• TheDragonLady
    • By TheDragonLady 17th Oct 16, 10:17 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    TheDragonLady
    Hi all, this is exactly the motivation and reminder I need to try and get on top of keeping a tidy house Thank you!

Level 1

Open the window and make the bed (doesn't need stripping today)
    Don't go downstairs empty-handed.
    take the laundry and/or empty the bedroom bin

+ tidy up the floordrobe and put clothes away
    + daily -clean kitchen, tidy up craft stuff

Extras
    Get a just-damp cloth and go round the whole house, wiping EVERY light switch and door handles
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Oct 16, 10:21 AM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 42,089 Thanks
    Jazee

Flyladies - family first; lists second. Just heard my friend's hubby's mum has passed. She was 91 but still..
    Originally posted by Valli
    Absolutely, just relaxing here with DS as we rarely get together, the list can wait. Although we have done the WUDUPA and walked the dogs.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! Jan £0

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

20Posts Today

3,800Users online

Martin's Twitter