Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Tammer
    • By Tammer 16th Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    • 291Posts
    • 194Thanks
    Pet Insurance - old cat - renewal costs
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    Pet Insurance - old cat - renewal costs 16th Oct 16 at 9:19 PM

I have had a cat since 2006 when she was 6. She's now 16 and has had a few insurance claims for vet bills in recent years - injuries from other cats, kidney problems, pre-cancerous skin growths.

I got her renewal through on Friday from M&S. 830. I think the excess is 150 although i'm not 100% sure.

I am thinking of self insuring from now on because of the cost however the last vet bills were just over 1000 over the last 12 months.

I'm wondering what the recommendation would be from others here? It's a huge cost but I recognise that vet's bills are now really expensive and I would be running a significant risk by DIY.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 16th Oct 16, 9:58 PM
    • 19,616 Posts
    • 12,020 Thanks
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:58 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:58 PM
    Can you afford to pay 2000 or 3000 if needed?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 17th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    • 2,607 Posts
    • 2,008 Thanks
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    You will pay 830 + 150 = 980 before you can claim anything back.

If your bills are 1000 then you are quids in, if less than 980 then you have paid more in insurance.

It depends on how likely you are to claim.

Could you put the monthly premium plus the excess away in separate bank account? If you did that could you pay a large bill before you had built up a large sum. Could you use a credit or get a loan if needed?

i did self insure with one dog when he got to an age when I would not involve him in any involved treatment, but he did not have any record of claims and apart from old age was healthy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,162Posts Today

7,281Users online

Martin's Twitter