Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Oct 16, 9:02 PM
    • 27,761Posts
    • 17,530Thanks
    DCFC79
    Application forms
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:02 PM
    Application forms 16th Oct 16 at 9:02 PM
    When faced with the question " Please outline your knowledge, skills and experience in support of your application" on application forms I struggle and sometimes dont bother with the form. Has anyone got any tips or a book/website that would help me when completing the question.

Thanks
    Last edited by DCFC79; 16-10-2016 at 9:10 PM.
    Je Suis Charlie
Page 1
    • Paully232000
    • By Paully232000 16th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    Paully232000
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    Do these jobs have 'essential, and desirable criteria' listed with the advert.

With ones I have completed in the past I just make sure I have answered all of the essential and all I can of the desirable characteristics with examples from previous work of how I meet them.

I use this website, it is academia focused, but there are parts that are relevant to whatever sector you are applying to such as the 'matching skills to the personal specification' and 'acing the online application' sections.

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/careers-advice/jobseeking-tips
    Last edited by Paully232000; 16-10-2016 at 9:19 PM.
    • YouAsked
    • By YouAsked 17th Oct 16, 10:14 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    YouAsked
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:14 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:14 AM
    Do these jobs have 'essential, and desirable criteria' listed with the advert.

With ones I have completed in the past I just make sure I have answered all of the essential and all I can of the desirable characteristics with examples from previous work of how I meet them.
    Originally posted by Paully232000
    Agree. You need to tailor what you write to job description/person specification.

Also, think about what they want to SEE. For instance, if one of the essential points is "experience of dealing with upset customers", they don't just want you to say "in my current role I deal with upset customers" - they want to know that you can exercise judgement, follow company protocols, act with sensitivity etc.

Sometimes, you might not have exactly what is being requested, but think of something you do have which requires the same skills - so you might not have experinece of working in a shoe shop, but you do have experience of waitressing which is a customer focussed role, where you have shown you can work independently etc etc.

Good luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,103Posts Today

7,467Users online

Martin's Twitter