Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hanb
    • By hanb 16th Oct 16, 7:53 PM
    • 410Posts
    • 995Thanks
    hanb
    What would you do with this fireplace?
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:53 PM
    What would you do with this fireplace? 16th Oct 16 at 7:53 PM
    Hi all,

Trying to decide what to do with our fireplace and thought I'd see what other people would do!

I'd like to somehow spruce up the bricks, put nice tiles over the gross ones at the bottom and maybe slate hearth and then sort the skirting around the edge. Any ideas on whether j can improve the bricks?

We're in a smoke free zone so putting an actual fire in isn't that simple. The previous owners removed a gross old electric fire from the wall and opened it back up but it could be sooo much nicer I just need to decide! Hoping other views and advice might help!

Thanks in advance!

Page 1
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 16th Oct 16, 8:05 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 1,240 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:05 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:05 PM
    Personally, I don't like seeing bricks in a room, especially when they are stained and damaged. I'd plaster over them and be done with it.

Even although you live in a smoke free zone, there are DEFRA approved stoves that you could install. However, there doesn't appear to be a constructional hearth (unless it has been covered over by the floorboards).
    So many cats, so few good recipes.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.

£2 Savers Club (No. 73) - £226 ______ £1 jar - £207
    • hanb
    • By hanb 16th Oct 16, 8:21 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    hanb
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:21 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:21 PM
    Thanks!

I was thinking I'd try to clean up the bricks (if possible!) first and then plastering it was the backup plan. First time homeowner and not the best at DIY or knowing what's possible! I'd like the bricks if they were cleaner but I don't know if it's possible to get them neater!

Just one of many things we need to get done!
    • tizerbelle
    • By tizerbelle 16th Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    tizerbelle
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    I had similar in this house when I bought it (Victorian terrace) - hated it. Felt the room needed a much more substantial focal point so I bought an electric fireplace suite .

Okay so I have probably only used it to heat the room a couple of times since I've bought it but the in-built light adds a nice glow to the room - which makes it expensive mood lighting! It arrived fully assembled if I recall correctly and all I had to do was stand it against the chimney breast (its not fixed in place - but very sturdy) and use a few cable clips to pin the cable round the corner to the plug socket.

I did think about doing something crafty / creative / artistic but nothing appealed to me and filling the space with candles / stones / statues would just result in more dusting for me and probably lots of wasted time re-arranging them every time troublesome cat decided the only place to sleep would be behind/among what ever was there.

ETA: Knew there was a pic of it somewhere - living room fireplace
    Last edited by tizerbelle; 16-10-2016 at 9:29 PM.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 16th Oct 16, 9:50 PM
    • 22,254 Posts
    • 63,088 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:50 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:50 PM
    I'd buy a second hand fireplace from ebay and put it in there.

It doesn't have to be lit and it looks better than a rudimentary hole.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 17th Oct 16, 7:34 AM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:34 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:34 AM
    Go for a wood burning stove. Elec fires are yuk.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 17th Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    I'd use it as an open fire, or install a stove.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 17th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    tonyh66
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    plaster it all and put a back lit fishtank in there.
    • hanb
    • By hanb 18th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    hanb
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    Thanks all.

Lots to think about. A friend nearby has just been quoted 2.5k for a stove!

I think I might try and tidy it up a bit and then think about a stove once we've saved a bit more Whilst keeping an eye out for second hand on ebay.
    • Kiran
    • By Kiran 18th Oct 16, 1:37 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Kiran
    If you want to tidy it up, line it with cement board, hardie backer or similar. its easy to do, gives a smooth paintable finish and if you do ever want to put a stove in its ready to go. As for a fire, stoves for a smoke free zone don't require anymore work to install providing you buy the right stove.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 18th Oct 16, 1:44 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Zola.
    Multi burn stove. Best £2k I ever spent.

I recommend the Morso 04 given the size.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 18th Oct 16, 2:13 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    Grenage
    You can install a stove yourself, as long as long as you get building regs to sign it off. Assuming no complications, you can do it all for a fraction of a professional installer.
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 23rd Oct 16, 3:12 PM
    • 5,641 Posts
    • 4,005 Thanks
    vansboy
    Clean the bricks as best you can and then paint them with exetrior wall paint, as this will cover better than emulsion.

A couple nice candles, on a large flat glass bowl with coloured glass beads in it, (sounds tacky but looked ok) then fresh white skirting.

Thats what i did.

VB
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

611Posts Today

3,658Users online

Martin's Twitter