Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• h_and_p_uk
    • By h_and_p_uk 16th Oct 16, 7:11 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Fellow Worker Issue
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:11 PM
    Fellow Worker Issue 16th Oct 16 at 7:11 PM

Apologies as I am new to this forum, so hope I am posting in the correct part.

I have been working for a company for just over a year, and have recently been moved to a new role, which is basically call centre work. It's going a lot better than I thought, and my so-called "stats" are higher than most of the other workers, many of whom have been there for years. However, I am having problems with a fellow team member.

He has an annoying habit of scaring me by shouting into my ear as he walks by. Last week he also started jabbing me in the ribs with his fingers as I answered a call, which I found both annoying and upsetting.

My team leader, and many of my fellow workers, think that this person is hilarious, and seem to hang on his every word. I personally feel upset and aggrieved that they find it amusing that I am jumping out of my skin while I am trying to concentrate on my work.

I don't feel comfortable in the role, and was wondering if there are any employment laws which can help an individual in this situation.

Sorry for rambling, but hope all this makes sense.
Page 2
    • h_and_p_uk
    • By h_and_p_uk 17th Oct 16, 11:33 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I asked because employers should step in where sexual harassment is suspected/alleged.
    Originally posted by ERICS MUM
    No offence taken
    • h_and_p_uk
    • By h_and_p_uk 17th Oct 16, 11:36 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Of course you could acquire a clown costume, wait until he leaves work, jump out on him and scare the !!!! out of him. Then when he complains, suggest that he's the one being miserable, as you found it hilarious!!
    Originally posted by Missus Hyde
    The temptation is there, believe me.
    • YouAsked
    • By YouAsked 17th Oct 16, 12:04 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    In some ways it is difficult being the same gender as I imagine there's an expecation of blokey banter (I'm picturing Finchy from the Office!) and it's natural to want to just fit in and match the culture of a team rather than to say "hold on, you're acting like an idiot, leave me alone" .

That said, he IS acting like an idiot and I'd have to tell him to stop in no uncertain terms.

OK if you're reluctant to put in a complaint, you're going to need to think of how to handle it yourself. Does he play off getting a reaction? If so, might a quiet tut/eye roll be more effective than you losing your rag? Are you good at giving contemptuous looks - like the look I gave someone the other day for littering (then they pretended they'd dropped it accidentally) - and saying nothing? Or is he a bit of a coward really and you saying a loud firm voice "DON'T do that again" will make him realise?
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 17th Oct 16, 12:24 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Do you have team meetings? If so, bring it up then.

Or ask for a private meeting with your line manager, and see how he/she responds then - in the more serious atmosphere of a team or one-on-one meeting they might feel forced to take it more seriously.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 17th Oct 16, 12:24 PM
    • 2,511 Posts
    • 2,387 Thanks
    Alternatively, next time he does it, grip him firmly by the throat until his eyes start to pop. Then tell him not to be so miserable, it's only a joke.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th Oct 16, 1:02 PM
    • 13,528 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    I think you need to take him aside (again, if you have done so already) and firmly tell him that he needs to stop doing it. Tell him if it persists you're going to have to escalate it. Tell him you find it distracting and humiliating and that it needs to stop.

If that doesn't work, arrange a meeting with your manager and ask him to make it stop.

If that doesn't work, then arrange a meeting with HR.

Its not on, frankly.

• FredG
    • By FredG 17th Oct 16, 1:48 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    Sounds like a right annoying little oik. Grab the nearest blunt instrument and use his genitals as a 'Whack-A-Mole' game.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 17th Oct 16, 2:34 PM
    • 4,728 Posts
    • 6,194 Thanks
    I've tried to tell him that I don't find it funny, and asked him to stop. He retaliated by saying I was being miserable. I'm finding it a strain as I'm actually very good at the job, but this is really bringing me down.

While I understand that there would be grievance procedures, I'm interested to know if there are any employment laws concerning workplace intimidation, as I really need to know where I stand.
    Originally posted by h_and_p_uk
    I'd just respomd, absolutely deadpan "OK. You're welcome to think I'm miseraable, but I still want you to stop. I don't find it funny, I feel it is harassment, and if you shout at or assault me again I will be raising a formal grievance"

Then e-mail your line manager stating that you have today spoken to [name] for the 2nd (or third, or however often it is) time to ask that he stop shouting at you and poking you, as you find it disruptive and uncomfortable, and that while you are not raising it as a formal grievance today, you want line manager to be aware of the situation as if [name] is not prepares to stop you will have no alternative than to raise a formal greiavance.

I'd suggest that you have a look at the employee handbook. See whether there is anything about bahviour - either in terms of behaving professionally or about bullying and harassment., and you can then reference that if necessary when speaking to your line manager.

Youm ay wish to speak to your line manager and then send the e-mail as a 'just to confirm our conversation...' (e-mail = papertrail should you need to raise a gievance - forward a copy to your own persoanl e-mail)
    • Helvetica Van Buren
    • By Helvetica Van Buren 17th Oct 16, 2:44 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Helvetica Van Buren
    Some of these retaliation suggestion are, quite frankly fvcking stupid.

1. Tell him not to touch you, make you jump or interact with you unless it's about work.
    2. If it continues, raise it with your team leader.
    3. If the team leader fails to resolve it, raise it with their superior or your HR department - if you have one.

And document everything you say.

Other than leave, or live with it, this is your only course of action. The behavior isn't appropriate and the law is on your side - it's as simple as that. You don't have to put up with it.
    • dickydonkin
    • By dickydonkin 17th Oct 16, 3:50 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 2,791 Thanks
    Some of these retaliation suggestion are, quite frankly fvcking stupid.
    Originally posted by Helvetica Van Buren

Take a chill pill

Many of the more radical responses are also accompanied with practical suggestions.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 17th Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    • 8,293 Posts
    • 5,942 Thanks
    Couldn't poking be a form of same sex harassment?
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 17th Oct 16, 4:10 PM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 2,522 Thanks
    Does this obnoxious waste of space leave any marks such as bruising when he assaults you? If so, it is definitely assault. Perhaps your manager will take that seriously, or their manager/HR will.

If you are certain your manager is too much of a wimp to stand up to
    this piece of excrement, would you consider speaking to their line manager with a view to raising a grievance about their failure to do their job?

No-one, but no-one ever has the right to touch another person without consent unless they are trying to save their life or safeguard others.

I wish you luck and HTH. All bullies are cowards and, unless you work in an office full of morons, they are laughing in self-defence. If they had anything about them, they would all tell him to stop. That is how bullies prosper... until someone stands up to them, then they crumble.
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 17th Oct 16, 4:27 PM
    • 15,903 Posts
    • 25,237 Thanks
    He's a bully. My past experience with bullies has been to completely over-react and make sure they move on to the next target.

You want to yell at me in the ear? I'm going to show up with an airhorn and shock the life out of you. Jab me in the ribs? You'll get elbowed in the sternum.

Realistically - this is a workplace and you'll only get sacked if you respond like this.

Have you got a webcam? How about you record what he does then take it to HR/your manager. Make sure to keep a copy.

Failing that - fill an envelope with glitter, put it on his desk, sealed, with his name on it. Enjoy
    Last edited by ringo_24601; 17-10-2016 at 4:31 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,250Posts Today

4,554Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thank you for all your kind wishes.Not sure now if it's a hamstring tear now. Feels like very bad cramp in the back of my thigh

• RT @MSE_Deals: Psssst! Sneak preview of tomorrow's email deals NOW... On @MartinSLewis's Facebook: (pls help us spo?

• He tried to refuse the fare and tip I refused to be refused and said he should tree should put it in a charity tin

• Follow Martin