Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sturgeon
    • By sturgeon 16th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 269Posts
    • 62Thanks
    sturgeon
    Developer and their solicitor stalling to reimburse overpayment
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    Developer and their solicitor stalling to reimburse overpayment 16th Oct 16 at 6:13 PM
    I recently bought a new build flat, and completed almost 2 weeks ago. It was delayed multiple times and despite no compensation, the developer did agree to refund each mortgage valuation fee I incurred. I had to apply for 3 mortgages over an 18 month period, paying £500 each time. The initial charge I have to cover of course, whilst the additional £1000 they promised to reimburse.

I have multiple emails from the developers sales office confirming this, face to face they seemed surprised it hadn't been actioned when I saw them on completion day, and even the developers solicitor insists their completion statement reimbursed this amount.

My solicitor never received a revised completion statement with £1,000 knocked off, however after pushing they got acknowledgement that they'd knock £500 off. As time was running out to transfer my funds, despite neither me or my solicitor seeing a new statement with any reduction, I transferred the full amount mins £500 as they at least acknowledged that.

Since completion, the developers solicitor insists that they sent a revised completion statement showing that £1k reduction, but i don't care anymore-I just want the final owed £500 back. I do not understand why they are stalling and stalling, when every party entirely acknowledges the fact that this is owed to me. Why is it taking weeks to just send my solicitor back that £500? It's very frustrating, and the developers have behaved disgustingly throughout, delaying this build by 10 months in total.

My solicitor is helpful, however they can just keep chasing and it dumbfounds me why it needed more than one phone call as it's not even in dispute. What else can I do?
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 3,880 Posts
    • 3,451 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    Letter before action and then raise a small claim?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,261Posts Today

6,045Users online

Martin's Twitter