Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• rookie123
    • By rookie123 16th Oct 16, 6:07 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Critique my S&S ISA choices.
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:07 PM
    Critique my S&S ISA choices. 16th Oct 16 at 6:07 PM
    Hello all,

First post here and would be interested in getting a second opinion on my savings decisions to make sure there's nothing I've overlooked or beginners errors I've made.

So to set the scene a little. I'm 27 years old and have spent the last two years or so saving hard for a house deposit and managed to get my first house during the summer, before that I wasn't really saving anything but was paying off a car loan so now find my self in the fortunate position of no debt apart from mortgage and a recent increase in salary.

Its this increase in salary, and the desire to do something useful with it which has brought me here. A few months ago, after a bit of reading I opened up a S&S ISA with the plan of picking a few funds that could slowly accumulate and hopefully give me a decent return with me contributing £500 per month:

I ended up with these:
    • Vanguard Lifestrategy 100
    • Vanguard Lifestrategy 60
    • HSBC FTSE All Share Index
    • JPMorgan Emerging Markets Class B
    • Blackrock Global Property Securities Tracker
    • Standard Life UK Small Companies
    • Blackrock Gold and General
    • Vanguard UK Government Bond Index

I feel like I should have some sort of global equities tracker in there somewhere but haven't decided on that yet.

Also is there any reason why I shouldn't have two different vanguard lifestrategy? Do you think i would be better off combining those two into the lifestrategy 80?

Long term I would like to build these funds up to a decent amount and then start looking for some high dividend shares, perhaps 10 to 15, these shares and the funds above will be the vast majority of any retirement savings I will end up with.

So, is there any more knowledgable people who see any fatal flaws in my plan, or anywhere I will be missing out? I appreciate any replies.
Page 2
    • rookie123
    • By rookie123 18th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies.

Bowlhead, a lot of relevant information there, my original plan appears to have been a bit simplistic without looking at the finer details and as a result I've made it more complicated than it needed to be.

I'll definitely be taking onboard what has been said and simplifying what I hold. still tempted to keep 5 or 10% to take a bit more risk though. Will do a lot more research before I make a decision on that though.
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 19th Oct 16, 3:32 AM
    • 2,167 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    I'm 100% small and medium cap in the sipp
    In for a penny, in for a £ lol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

858Posts Today

6,213Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Superb and chilling piece on #newsnight right now, animated reading from someone under ISIS rule in Mosul

• In my view that's a usually a mistake see my

• Does anyone know when we get US election results - ie is it a watch it overnight on morning of 9nov or watch the next day, or is it days?

• Follow Martin