Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• sido1
    • By sido1 16th Oct 16, 5:58 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 3Thanks
    British gas
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:58 PM
    British gas 16th Oct 16 at 5:58 PM
    Hi guys I have just had my BG lekky and gazza meters changed to the new smart meters, most impressed with the info they give you, but talking to the fitter I asked him what happens if I was to change supplier, answer, you would go back to the old meters, I thought the idea was for every one to have smart meters ,is this BG trying to stop you changing, any thoughts on this,Sido
Page 1
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 16th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    • 25,913 Posts
    • 12,447 Thanks
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    There are a load of posts on this if you do a search. This is a good place to start:

Essentially the standard has not yet been finalized so the present BG smart meters will be 'dumb' with other suppliers.
    Last edited by Cardew; 16-10-2016 at 9:45 PM. Reason: sp
    • LewisHamilton
    • By LewisHamilton 16th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    Some energy suppliers can't support the SMART meter if they were installed by another energy supplier. The meters would not be changed by the new supplier but they might not be able to receive the smart readings. Therefore, it would simply be read like a traditional meter.

You can ask the new supplier if it will be able to support the smart meter's functionality before switching or the new supplier might be prepared to install their own smart meters instead if they are currently able to install smart meters in your area.

This isn't British Gas trying to stop you from changing supplier, unfortunately at present this is a common issue with smart meters.
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 17th Oct 16, 8:15 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:15 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:15 AM
    i opted out and just went for an updated meter not a smart meter coz First Utility couldn't confirm I could use the meter if I switches suppliers
    • MeterMan
    • By MeterMan 17th Oct 16, 4:36 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:36 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:36 PM
    BG start the trial of smets2 meters in January. These meters will be cross supplier compatible.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,316Posts Today

6,596Users online

Martin's Twitter