Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dasachmo
    • By dasachmo 16th Oct 16, 5:29 PM
    • 78Posts
    • 25Thanks
    dasachmo
    Help with debt collection letter.
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:29 PM
    Help with debt collection letter. 16th Oct 16 at 5:29 PM
    Hi guys.
    This is my first post about debts... Please be gentle!
    I'm not sure if this is the right section so apologies if it isn't... I'm just really worried.. I've never had debts or letters like this so slightly shook up.
    The background to my case is that I bought a leasehold flat in March.
    The service charges and buildings insurance were managed by the same company.
    I set up a direct debit to pay these but on Friday I received a letter from a solicitor saying that the developer has tried to contact me on multiple attempts and I'm in arrears for the past two months of insurance.
    Apparently what has happened is the direct debit was set up and only covered the service charge... Not the buildings insurance. (the first few months were included in the purchase)
    I'm really worried because the amount I owed was £ 120, but the solicitors admin fees are 180 on top!
    I logged into the management companies online site, it shows a direct debit set up but it hasn't taken the insurance charges.
    As for the reminder letters.. I didn't ignore them!
    I've also seen correspondence (for the first time today... The read time is logged on the site) as a full and final warning and today is the first time I'm seeing it! If I had known I would have made payment immediately and I understand I should have probably investigated it further but I just want to know if there's anyway of avoiding you that incredibly large admin fee which Is more the debt!
    Please help.
    I kind of feel if I had the warning and knew the direct debit was set up incompletely I would have paid.
    Last edited by dasachmo; 16-10-2016 at 5:54 PM.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 8,370 Posts
    • 8,204 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    Hi,

Simply ring the company concerned in the morning, and explain the situation about the DD.
    The fees sound a bit extortionate to me, but then that's what you would expect from a typical solicitor isn't it.

I would stick to my guns, say it was a genuine error, and you will pay what's owed for the insurance, but you will not pay the fees, as you believe them to be disproportionate to the actual debt, after all, all they have done is write you a letter, that is probebley about £10 a word.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 16-10-2016 at 6:15 PM.

For free debt advice please call National Debtline on
    0808 808 4000
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 9pm
    Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
    • dasachmo
    • By dasachmo 16th Oct 16, 6:17 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    dasachmo
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:17 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:17 PM
    Thanks for the advice!
    I'm really stressed about it!
    Isn't there a rule that I have to have been given the full and final warning?
    I appreciate I had been on their site but it logs as read by me today and the solicitor letter came on the 13th. They've given me a week to pay (by the 20th) otherwise they will take it to court!
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 16th Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    • 5,325 Posts
    • 6,675 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    Inform the solicitors you have no contract with them and will not be paying their clients fees or accepting an offer to contract them for services.
    Ask them in what capacity they are acting, solicitors or debt collectors so you can complain to their overseeing body about harassment

If the solicitors can write to you why has the management firm not done so first.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • dasachmo
    • By dasachmo 16th Oct 16, 6:35 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    dasachmo
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:35 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:35 PM
    Yes. I think it says solicitors
    I've just checked the numbers and it's 162.41 for the debt.
    165 in administration charges. 118.25 in legal costs!
    They've literally only sent me a letter.
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 16th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 5,325 Posts
    • 6,675 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    I would pay the client directly and Ignore the solicitor.
    You have no contract with them, you did not employ them and they can not charge you for services you have not contracted.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

74Posts Today

3,498Users online

Martin's Twitter