Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsT.C
    • By MrsT.C 16th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MrsT.C
    Japanese Knotweed Disclosed
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    Japanese Knotweed Disclosed 16th Oct 16 at 5:02 PM
    Just viewed a house which is lovely (and I'm getting desperate!) but the owners have disclosed JK which they had treated. it is also mentioned, as an update, in the Home Report. It was in an area about 30ft from the back of the house. Advice anyone?
Page 1
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 16th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 14,888 Posts
    • 13,132 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    How long ago was it last treated? Is there any sign of it still growing on the property?/
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • MrsT.C
    • By MrsT.C 16th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrsT.C
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    Thanks for your reply. This is what the HR says:

UPDATE 13/10/2016 - Since the original inspection, we have been provided with an invoice from Messrs Allan Blair Weed Control, indicating that Japanese Knotweed is currently under treatment. This was not visible on the date of inspection, and further investigation is required to ascertain the extent of treatment and the length of treatment plan in place. Further, it should be fully appreciated that some lenders will not provide mortgage finance where eradication of Japanese Knotweed is carried out by a non-PCA (Property Care Association) member.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 3,413 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    Ok, that sounds relatively self-explanatory as some starters for you i.e. what's the treatment plan, are these guys PCA members and (if you're buying with a mortgage) what does your lender need?
    • MrsT.C
    • By MrsT.C 16th Oct 16, 5:46 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrsT.C
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:46 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:46 PM
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking but have never experienced this before. Was wondering if I should stay clear..
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 16th Oct 16, 6:03 PM
    • 4,319 Posts
    • 6,011 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:03 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:03 PM
    Japanese knotweed has come up a few times on this forum.., try searching 'knotweed' in the forum search tab above (third from right, above your title). Hopefully will show how issues can be deal with and their importance. However, the advice given in your survey does seem fairly clear. You could contact the firm treating the knotweed perhaps.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 3,413 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    Was wondering if I should stay clear..
    Originally posted by MrsT.C
    I would, but you did say you were desperate...if your lender says no then that's the decision made for you.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 20,779 Posts
    • 83,662 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking but have never experienced this before. Was wondering if I should stay clear..
    Originally posted by MrsT.C
    There's no reason to drop the house automatically because of this, any more than there would be if you found that the drains were faulty or it needed a re-wire. It's something to be investigated further and maybe brought into the negotiations if it hasn't already been allowed-for.

Rest assured, it's entirely possible to eradicate JK from a property, but what isn't so easy, is making sure that neighbours do likewise. For that reason, each case needs assessment, taking the local geography, history and the likely attitude of neighbours into account.

You were going to speak to potential neighbours anyway, weren't you?
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
    • MrsT.C
    • By MrsT.C 16th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrsT.C
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    When I say 'desperate' I mean that we sold within a week and have to be out by January. It's not the end of the world.
    • MrsT.C
    • By MrsT.C 16th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrsT.C
    Thank you Davesnave. You have hit the nail on the head for me. I was wondering if I should just drop it. I will leave it with my solicitor tomorrow. She's very thorough.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,102Posts Today

5,433Users online

Martin's Twitter