Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 16th Oct 16, 4:39 PM
    • 23,190Posts
    • 10,539Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Bravo Nationwide!
    • 16th Oct 16, 4:39 PM
    Bravo Nationwide! 16th Oct 16 at 4:39 PM
    Got a text at 2am this morning from Nationwide asking if a transaction for £300 odd was mine - the usual press Y for Yes or to phone a number.
    Went back to sleep as I wasn't going to phone them at that time.
    Got a phone call at 10am asking the same thing - was it my transaction or not?

I said no and after going through security this transaction and other pending ones that I was unaware of were immediately cancelled.

New card on the way (Don't use this one very often other than when abroad) so we are quick to slag off the credit card providers here so I want to say thanks to Nationwide - their fraud detection system really worked for me.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Page 1
    • onthefencepost
    • By onthefencepost 16th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    onthefencepost
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    ive had this on their debit card recently when i purchased a laptop from Tescos online.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 16th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    • 5,990 Posts
    • 3,074 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    As a regular here, I'm sure you were very careful about what security information you told him on taking the second call. This is for the benefit of others:

I had a call from "Nationwide" which most certainly wasn't. They also had to run through a few security questions... When I suggested calling back, it seems the particular section of the "fraud department" this chap was working for couldn't take incoming calls.

A replacement debit card I was expecting around that time never turned up. Nationwide had no trace of calling me and cancelled the missing card. (Albeit with a stupid remark that they would apply a fee if I "lost" more a certain number of cards within a certain period of time. I explained that I had never received the card, and the operator said she was just telling me the policy so I knew for next time!)
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 16th Oct 16, 6:43 PM
    • 23,190 Posts
    • 10,539 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:43 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:43 PM
    I knew the call was genuine as I had logged online to look for the transactions - whilst I couldn't see the actual amounts/retailers the available balance was reduced by the same sum.
    Valid point though about security.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 16th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    GingerBob
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    Got a text at 2am this morning from Nationwide asking if a transaction for £300 odd was mine - the usual press Y for Yes or to phone a number.
    Went back to sleep as I wasn't going to phone them at that time.
    Got a phone call at 10am asking the same thing - was it my transaction or not?

I said no and after going through security this transaction and other pending ones that I was unaware of were immediately cancelled.

New card on the way (Don't use this one very often other than when abroad) so we are quick to slag off the credit card providers here so I want to say thanks to Nationwide - their fraud detection system really worked for me.
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever

Well, really worked for them I would say.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 16th Oct 16, 9:56 PM
    • 1,724 Posts
    • 2,860 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:56 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:56 PM
    Nice to see a post that recognises when something is done right. So many posts are only ever negative experiences.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 17th Oct 16, 4:23 AM
    • 3,501 Posts
    • 1,047 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:23 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:23 AM
    They were protecting the society's money.

Well, really worked for them I would say.
    Originally posted by GingerBob
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 17th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 7,823 Posts
    • 4,772 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    They were protecting the society's money.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    Yes but a good thing to see a financial institution being responsible, given the example shown over the last decade or so.

For nationwide it is members money, for banks it is shareholders money, though for the some banks it is still of course taxpayers money at least in part.

People get understandably upset when either fraud isn't detected or isn't pursued, and financial institutions should be responsible and set a lead that people respect, little sign of that elsewhere with many of the banks.
    • sivs
    • By sivs 17th Oct 16, 12:50 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    sivs
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:50 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:50 PM
    I would not be happy if any of my banks sent me a text at that time in the morning.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 17th Oct 16, 12:52 PM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    I would not be happy if any of my banks sent me a text at that time in the morning.
    Originally posted by sivs
    So you don't want your bank to notify you about possible fraud as soon as they spot it?
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 17th Oct 16, 2:10 PM
    • 23,190 Posts
    • 10,539 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    It is likely that the transactions were done in the USA -so early evening over there.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 17th Oct 16, 5:09 PM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    GingerBob
    So you don't want your bank to notify you about possible fraud as soon as they spot it?
    Originally posted by EarthBoy

No. Not if it's in the middle of the night. If any of my providers ever pulled that stunt on me it would be bye-bye credit card in question (my T&Cs forbid such contact).
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    • 5,066 Posts
    • 6,090 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    You could always put your phone settings on silent if you don't want strange buzzing noises during the night.

Dear me, the things people have control over but choose to get upset about ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,812Posts Today

7,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin