Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carebear95
    • By carebear95 16th Oct 16, 3:23 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 7Thanks
    carebear95
    what else can I do to improve my credit rating?
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:23 PM
    what else can I do to improve my credit rating? 16th Oct 16 at 3:23 PM
    My current credit score across experian and noodle is in the fair range;
    I've been on the electoral roll with no gaps since 18.
    I have had a card with aqua for 6 months, used about 1/3 of my limit each month and paid off in full each month.
    I have had utility bills in my name and never missed a payment for the past two years including phone contracts.
    My average credit account age is 30 months.
    The only thing I can think of that might be causing an issue, is that i've had a catalogue account with a limit of £600 that i've not used in 6 months.
    With the aim of getting a mortgage in about 2 years with my fiance, is there anything else i should be doing to bump up my credit rating or is it a case of continue to be patient and keep using credit responsibly?
    Survey Earnings April 2016 £5/£40
    Comping since April 2016 0 wins
Page 2
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 17th Oct 16, 10:35 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    TheShape
    My current credit score across experian and noodle is in the fair range;
    I've been on the electoral roll with no gaps since 18.
    I have had a card with aqua for 6 months, used about 1/3 of my limit each month and paid off in full each month.
    I have had utility bills in my name and never missed a payment for the past two years including phone contracts.
    My average credit account age is 30 months.
    The only thing I can think of that might be causing an issue, is that i've had a catalogue account with a limit of £600 that i've not used in 6 months.
    With the aim of getting a mortgage in about 2 years with my fiance, is there anything else i should be doing to bump up my credit rating or is it a case of continue to be patient and keep using credit responsibly?
    Originally posted by carebear95
    Couple of questions just to cover all the bases:

How long have you lived at your current address?
    Do you have an overdraft on a current account(s), what is/are the limit(s), ever gone into an unauthorised overdraft?
    Do you have any joint accounts with/a financial association with your fiance?

How is your fiancee's credit rating/history? That will be as important as yours when you make an application.
    • carebear95
    • By carebear95 18th Oct 16, 8:05 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    carebear95
    Just over 18 months at current address but looking to move soon.
    I don't have an overdraft, had a student one for two years then closed it (I think the most I ever went into it was £500), never been unauthorised.
    We've had a joint account for a couple of years and just got joint savings accounts too. My fianc! has a mainstream credit card and a similar score to myself,he got one default at 18 but that's now passed the 6 years to statue bar it.
    Survey Earnings April 2016 £5/£40
    Comping since April 2016 0 wins
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,861Posts Today

6,161Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just been to @channel4's #bearhunt premier, a beautiful artist reworking BUT be warned, a surprisingly sad end, mini MSE in floods of tears

• Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• Follow Martin