Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 16th Oct 16, 2:44 PM
    • 1,602Posts
    • 1,385Thanks
    TheGardener
    Vine Weevil...
    • 16th Oct 16, 2:44 PM
    Vine Weevil... 16th Oct 16 at 2:44 PM
    I added to my collection of sedums this summer and some started to look decidedly unhappy - Having caught the last 5 mins of Gardeners world - Monty & Rachel were planting them and commented on checking for vine weevil - LBM - so I've just dug them up carefully and found zillions of the little gits I've never had them in my garden before - I squished all the grubs I can see and washed the roots (what's left of them) The plants are still just about viable and as sedum do well in the simple glass of water propagation method, I wondered if I put them in a bucket of water for a few days, do you think it will drown any I've missed?
    Or am I better just taking cuttings and ditching what's left of the plants?
    The plants were in the open ground - not in pots - I've never had a nopen ground infestation before.
    Last edited by TheGardener; 16-10-2016 at 2:59 PM.
Page 1
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 16th Oct 16, 8:21 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 8,851 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:21 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:21 PM
    It is bad luck to have them in the open ground. I've had them in pots before. Looks like someone had taken a pair of scissors to the stems.

I'd take cuttings myself I think. Also if you have pots buy a vine weevil wash to apply 3 times a year. I have been okay doing this.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 19th Oct 16, 7:12 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 19th Oct 16, 7:12 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 7:12 PM
    Well the bucket of water treatment has indeed produced a large number of drowned grubs. I've drained the plants off and potted the sedums up for now until I can make space for them in the beds (clean pots and fresh compost of course) I've also taken the insurance route and taken a few cutting at the same time. We'll see how it goes. Might have to check the Heucheras at the weekend, they were right next to the Sedums but I'm not sure they will stand the cold bath treatment as well as the sedums.
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 19th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 8,851 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 19th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    I think if you have the grubs in the pots of Heuchera then you would know about it by now
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 20th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 20th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    • 20th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    The problem I have is that the weevils are not in the pots - the plants affected are in open ground and garden borders - I have not had to deal with a weevil problem in the open beds before.
    • Fay
    • By Fay 23rd Oct 16, 7:52 AM
    • 934 Posts
    • 2,902 Thanks
    Fay
    • 23rd Oct 16, 7:52 AM
    • 23rd Oct 16, 7:52 AM
    I have them in a pot of agapanthus and meant to order nematodes for them. I wonder if they would still work if i put the pot in the greenhouse for a bit of extra warmth. I have them in the ground too but they don't seem to do much damage because their numbers don't build up quite like in a pot. Sounds like you might have rescued them, fingers crossed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

4,284Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin