Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Justiceforme
    • By Justiceforme 16th Oct 16, 2:43 PM
    • 134Posts
    • 24Thanks
    Justiceforme
    Urgent Help Required Boiler Fitter
    • 16th Oct 16, 2:43 PM
    Urgent Help Required Boiler Fitter 16th Oct 16 at 2:43 PM
    Hi, hope someone can advise me. I arranged to have a new boiler fitted last Friday. I did check the Gas Safe register prior to agreeing to have the work completed. The boiler was fitted Friday, however it is not working at all. Fitter returned yesterday and still could not find fault, may be electrical?
    He agreed to return today at 1pm, with an electrician to sort out problems. He a has not turned up as promised, I have phoned him several times and left messages, no response. The work has not been paid for but I have no confidence in his ability to complete the work. Any advice would be welcome.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    • 14,587 Posts
    • 10,380 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 16th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    Have you also checked out any reviews of the company? Recommendations?
    It's all a bit quick , and it's the weekend .
    He will no doubt come up with some feeble excuse and continue on Monday.Perhaps he couldn't get an electrician to come with him.
    Other than this problem, is there any other reason you have no confidence in him? I think you need to give him chance to sort it out,
    Last edited by hollydays; 16-10-2016 at 3:04 PM.
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 16th Oct 16, 3:02 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 3,825 Thanks
    kelpie35
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:02 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:02 PM
    at least you have been very wise in not paying him for faulty work.

hope you can get the problem fixed very soon.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th Oct 16, 3:14 PM
    • 14,587 Posts
    • 10,380 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:14 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:14 PM
    Did you go through any other organisation eg like the energy saving trust?
    Did you contact them or did they canvas you?
    What method are you intending to use to pay them? Do not pay in cash. Credit card might be useful as it gives you greater protection.
    Last edited by hollydays; 16-10-2016 at 3:52 PM.
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 16th Oct 16, 3:15 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:15 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:15 PM
    You're free to get someone else to complete the work but, until you give the existing chap a chance to fix the fault, that would be at your own cost.

It's poor that he hasn't turned up today, even if he couldn't find an electrician to come out he could have told you. Contact him again in the morning and ask when he will be attending.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 16th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    • 14,890 Posts
    • 13,133 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    He won't get his money until he's got the boiler working, so I suspect he will be in contact with you soon.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • Justiceforme
    • By Justiceforme 16th Oct 16, 11:35 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Justiceforme
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:35 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:35 PM
    Thanks for your reply and I did do some research on the company for bad reviews, non showing. I did have several quotes prior choosing this company/person. My confidence is now low in his ability to complete the work because of his inability to sort out the problem himself or to find a to reputable electrician to find the fault.
    He has finally emailed me later today with an apology but he has still not provided a date for completion. How long am I expected to wait for this work to be completed to a satisfactory level?

With thanks
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th Oct 16, 11:39 PM
    • 8,635 Posts
    • 5,663 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:39 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:39 PM
    To be fair given that he only came out yesterday it was pretty short notice to get an electrician to come out today. Give him a ring tomorrow and ask for a definitive date.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 17th Oct 16, 6:13 AM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 1,375 Thanks
    Zandoni
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:13 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:13 AM
    OP, are you happy with the standard of fitting?
    Did he give your system a powerflush?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th Oct 16, 10:15 AM
    • 8,635 Posts
    • 5,663 Thanks
    neilmcl
    OP, are you happy with the standard of fitting?
    Did he give your system a powerflush?
    Originally posted by Zandoni
    I'm not sure any of that's relevant given that the plumbers saying there's an electrical problem with the boiler. Also, not all systems will require or are appropriate to have a power flush.
    • Justiceforme
    • By Justiceforme 17th Oct 16, 10:25 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Justiceforme
    I have been in contact with the boiler fitter but still have no date as to when the work will be completed. I'm no expert in plumbing and heating and not sure if the work is of good a standard but it should never take this long for simple straight swap of boilers. I feel that I can no longer trust him for the reasons provided. I'm considering contacting Gas Safe later on today.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th Oct 16, 11:21 AM
    • 8,635 Posts
    • 5,663 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I have been in contact with the boiler fitter but still have no date as to when the work will be completed. I'm no expert in plumbing and heating and not sure if the work is of good a standard but it should never take this long for simple straight swap of boilers. I feel that I can no longer trust him for the reasons provided. I'm considering contacting Gas Safe later on today.
    Originally posted by Justiceforme
    What make of boiler is it?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th Oct 16, 11:23 AM
    • 8,635 Posts
    • 5,663 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Call the engineer and ask him exactly what the problem is, and what steps he is taking to resolve it. Ask when he will be back at your property, and if there is a delay ask why. Then come back to us with this information and we'll advise further.
    Originally posted by Bogalot
    ^This. You need to be firm.
    • Justiceforme
    • By Justiceforme 17th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Justiceforme
    Hi, Bogalot, when I had the original quote I was told it would take 1 day because it was a straight forward swop. I realise that complications can arise but he did not seem capable of resolving the electrical wiring issues.
    I did phone him several time yesterday because he did not turn up but he did not answer any calls. He did respond to one email that I sent to him last night, stating that he could not obtain an electrician. I replied to him and said the he must find a qualified electrician to complete the work and asked when the work could be completed. He has not responded to my email. If he will not answer his phone, the only other to contact him is by email.

Many thanks
    • Justiceforme
    • By Justiceforme 17th Oct 16, 11:56 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Justiceforme
    Hi, neilmcl, the boiler is a Vaillant Ectoctech 418.

Thanks
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th Oct 16, 12:26 PM
    • 8,635 Posts
    • 5,663 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Hi, neilmcl, the boiler is a Vaillant Ectoctech 418.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Justiceforme
    Well if all else fails it may be worth contacting Valient to see if they could send someone out to fix the issue, then deduct any cost from the amount you eventually handover to the plumber.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 17th Oct 16, 12:51 PM
    • 17,422 Posts
    • 14,000 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Wow!! Already seeking legal advice after only two days delay - and those two days being a Saturday and Sunday.

Amazing.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 17th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 1,375 Thanks
    Zandoni
    I'm not sure any of that's relevant given that the plumbers saying there's an electrical problem with the boiler. Also, not all systems will require or are appropriate to have a power flush.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I'm sorry that you don't understand the need for a powerflush but most boiler manufacturers will not guarantee their products if any contaminates get into the heat exchanger, so most installers will use a powerflush to ensure that the system is clean.

I'd also feel it's extremely important to ask if the the install went OK, if the engineer can't diagnose an electrical fault then I'd start to wonder about his competence.
    • Justiceforme
    • By Justiceforme 17th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Justiceforme
    When the engineer did not turn up I called once and because I had no response I called once again later. I did not continually pester him at all.
    As Zandoni pointed out if the engineer can't diagnose an electrical fault then I'm left wondering about his competence myself. The system has been power flushed because some boiler manufacturers insist open this otherwise the guarantee may become void. I'm going to ask Gas Safe to send out an independent engineer to check that all work has been carried out to the required standard. Not willing to put my family at risk.

Thanks to all
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th Oct 16, 3:04 PM
    • 8,635 Posts
    • 5,663 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I'm sorry that you don't understand the need for a powerflush but most boiler manufacturers will not guarantee their products if any contaminates get into the heat exchanger, so most installers will use a powerflush to ensure that the system is clean.

I'd also feel it's extremely important to ask if the the install went OK, if the engineer can't diagnose an electrical fault then I'd start to wonder about his competence.
    Originally posted by Zandoni
    Clearly you're not a plumber/central heating engineer. "Most" competent installers will not powerflush as a matter of course, what they will do is see if it's necessary or indeed appropriate to do so. One of the quickest ways to burst and destroy old CH pipework is to power flush when the existing system can't handle it. In particular when there is alternative methods to clean out the system.

Also, to your 2nd point. The installer is a plumber/heating engineer not an electrician. Whilst he can clearly see there's an electrical issue, he's unlikely to be skilled and more importantly qualified to rectify it.

It's a bit rich accusing others of not understanding something when you clearly have next to no knowledge yourself.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 17-10-2016 at 3:08 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

282Posts Today

1,777Users online

Martin's Twitter