Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chris112
    • By chris112 16th Oct 16, 1:09 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 0Thanks
    chris112
    Is it possible to insure and claim an iphone without proof of purchase?
    • 16th Oct 16, 1:09 PM
    Is it possible to insure and claim an iphone without proof of purchase? 16th Oct 16 at 1:09 PM
    I want to insure my iphone 6s against just accidental damage, but as it was a gift from February from a foreign relative, i have no proof of purchase,
    but i do have the box and accessories and the little instrictons and a sticker that says the IMEI number and spec,

Does anyone know of any mobile phone insurance that can insure/claim phones if i have no proof of purchase?

thanks
Page 1
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 16th Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 16th Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    Some home insurance providers won't require proof of ownership / purchase for a damaged item, as they'd look to inspect it to repair it first.

If it's not home insurance you want, and specifically mobile phone insurance, then you should take a look at the policies of companies you're interested, and look at their t&c's.

Does your relative not have proof of purchase? They still would have been given a receipt.
    Last edited by FutureGirl; 16-10-2016 at 1:55 PM.
    Slimming Target;
    Total weight lost = 14lb
    • chris112
    • By chris112 16th Oct 16, 3:10 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chris112
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:10 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:10 PM
    No i asked them and they dont,

But i do have contents (home) insurance, but if i was to make a claim wouldn't my future annual cost sky rocket?
    Last edited by chris112; 16-10-2016 at 3:13 PM.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 16th Oct 16, 3:22 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:22 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:22 PM
    It wouldn't sky rocket but it's go up.

Only thing is to check online with mobile phone insurers, as they will have policies available to look at online so then you can see if they will ask for proof of purchase or not.

If it's an iPhone 6S, surely they'd have the bank statement for the card they used? Or if it's contract, they can get the contract from the network provider.
    Slimming Target;
    Total weight lost = 14lb
    • chris112
    • By chris112 16th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chris112
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    how significant, generally speaking, would you expect it to go up by?
    Currently my annual bill is £42.

i have called 10+ mobile phone/gadget insurers and they have all said in the event of a claim proof of purchase i required
    - i will probably never make a claim but you never know
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 16th Oct 16, 5:01 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Blibble
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:01 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:01 PM
    Depends on the specific provider's policy conditions; in most cases, though, you can at least obtain proof of usage from a network provider confirming your details, spec, and IMEI, and this could be cross-referenced with a box or photo of the packaging.

If you're just insuring against AD though, many providers will require you to send the item for inspection and consequently remove it from your Apple ID. Performing this procedure confirms proof of ownership (as only you know your Apple ID); therefore, most insurers won't ask for any extra documentation for such claims (although, if it is a specific gadget insurance policy you're taking out, you may not be insured anyway if you have received it as a gift or if it is a non-native UK phone).
    • chris112
    • By chris112 16th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chris112
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    ok, im just thinking, in the event of phone damage requiring replacement, would i be better of financially, by paying £500 of my own money to replace a phone rather than making a contents insurance claim, and facing subsequent higher premiums? generally speaking

i did speak to an insurer in the past about the affect on making a claim on contents insurance and they said when you make a claim your premiums dont necessarily increase, the increase in premiums is based on all customers making claims,
    So in any given period, if there are more claims across the board, your permiums will go up, even if you dont make a claim

doesnt sound very fair to me
    Last edited by chris112; 16-10-2016 at 5:22 PM.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 16th Oct 16, 5:25 PM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:25 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:25 PM
    doesnt sound very fair to me
    Originally posted by chris112
    If you've paid your £42 for insurance and then claim for something costing say £500, it's not fair for all the x number of other people who have paid their premiums but not claimed.

That's the way insurance works
    *** IF IN DOUBT, BLAME BREXIT ***
    • takman
    • By takman 17th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 1,524 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    takman
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    It may be better just self insuring the phone as your suggested. You just need to think when was the last time you broke a phone and when was the time before that?.
    If you have never broken a phone then it's probably not worth getting insurance.
    If you have just damaged a phone or just cracked a phone then it's probably not worth insurance either.
    If you break your phone each year then it probably is worth it!.
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 18th Oct 16, 7:26 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Blibble
    Personally, I'd never make a claim through my contents for a mobile; in my opinion, that insurance is there for the bigger things in life. An iPhone 6S 32GB is £499 currently; factor in a £100 excess for argument's sake and 4 years of premium increases @ £100 each and it's paid off. Up to you to do the maths!

Your premiums would likely increase if you notified the insurer of the loss (incident), as they would deem you to be more risky to insure in the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,523Posts Today

3,965Users online

Martin's Twitter