Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melbury
    • By melbury 16th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    • 8,946Posts
    • 12,531Thanks
    melbury
    Buying Smart TV
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    Buying Smart TV 16th Oct 16 at 12:21 PM
    I am looking to buy my first smart TV and find it all a bit confusing

I have noticed that some TV's come with built-in WiFi but others don't. I had just assumed that the TV would pick up the WiFi signal from my router (which is upstairs) and this would be okay.

If you buy a TV with built-in WiFi does it have it's own independent router incorporated within it? I have to say that my router would be a long way from the TV.

So is it better to buy a TV with it built-in or doesn't it make a lot of difference?

Why is everything so complicated?

Many thanks.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

Page 2
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 16th Oct 16, 11:34 PM
    • 9,281 Posts
    • 6,919 Thanks
    GunJack
    Do be careful if buying a new tv - not all smart tv's have the same apps built into them. I've had to discount a couple as they either do not have netflix or a regular browser installed, and with no chance of adding them later
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th Oct 16, 8:00 AM
    • 26,254 Posts
    • 15,792 Thanks
    getmore4less
    As you have a perfectly good TV the add on box is the way to go.

It will be cheaper than a new TV and will get you into the options so you are better clued up when you get your next TV.

Do you have sky or Virgin now or just using freeview?

We went with NowTV, first box was a free one pricing error at Tesco) it supports all the things we need for now and the subscriptions stuff is cheap when you find the offers.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 17th Oct 16, 9:45 AM
    • 5,382 Posts
    • 2,004 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    Do be careful if buying a new tv - not all smart tv's have the same apps built into them. I've had to discount a couple as they either do not have netflix or a regular browser installed, and with no chance of adding them later
    Originally posted by GunJack
    take it you mean internet browser. if so, why would you want a browser on a tv? last time i tried to use one it was useless. have things improved?

as people have said smart tvs are not that smart
    Last edited by dipsomaniac; 17-10-2016 at 9:49 AM.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • missile
    • By missile 17th Oct 16, 10:00 AM
    • 8,319 Posts
    • 3,947 Thanks
    missile
    Most TVs have an HDMI port and you could use that to connect your lap top to the tv and access internet.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 17th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    You do realise that's a one-off £60? And that some folks spend that every month on their Sky subscription?
    Originally posted by googler
    For the hardware, subscription is ongoing.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 17th Oct 16, 11:31 AM
    • 16,093 Posts
    • 25,602 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    Without a subscription to Amazon Prime/Netfix, your 'Smart' TV will be limited to free services, like youtube, BBC iPlayer ect.

Netflix is £7.49 a month, Amazon is £79 a year. I've had both, and am sticking with Amazon - the combination of music streaming, video and free next-day (or same day) deliveries is pretty good.

You might find the 'smart' bit of a smart tv only ever getting used for BBC Iplayer, if you don't have another subscription.

Wait for black Friday, get one of the new Amazon Fire Sticks at a reduced price - that'd be the MSE way to turn a TV smart.
    • henm2
    • By henm2 17th Oct 16, 12:07 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    henm2
    Non smart TV with HDMI connections and an amazon fire stick loaded with Kodi is all you need.
    • melbury
    • By melbury 17th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    • 8,946 Posts
    • 12,531 Thanks
    melbury
    Thank you all so much for your very helpful replies, which I have only just got back to.

I did go ahead and order an Amazon Firestick before seeing your replies about Black Friday

Hopefully that will work for all I need.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

368Posts Today

2,118Users online

Martin's Twitter