Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 16th Oct 16, 9:55 AM
    • 1,963Posts
    • 289Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Accidental damage - house insurance
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:55 AM
    Accidental damage - house insurance 16th Oct 16 at 9:55 AM
    I put house insurance because that's what i'm currently on with but it doesn't have to be limited to house insurance as other types obviously ask about this too.

Just a curious one this - do any of you actually bother with these accidental damage options?

I could be (& probably am) wrong but i just imagine them to be clever ways the insurance company gets away with pocketing a few more quid & then getting out of paying out when it matters.

So you pay for accidental damage & then when your insured item/s are accidentally damaged you get in touch to claim ... only to find your insurance company saying ahh yeah but the invisible to the naked eye print says we don't actually cover that at your house, sorry.

I was going through the house insurance quote last night & there were a few accidental damage options & i just had a feeling it'd work out as money for nothing.

On a side note & to stop me creating a new thread....

When we bought the house, we wasn't aware of so much water under the living room floor which created visible signs of damp on the walls (once all the furniture had been removed which was hiding it) as well as a sump pump. The survey never picked any of it up but that's another story.
    In the end we had to shell out about £6k-£8k to get it put right. Money which we had to borrow off helpful family members.

Numerous people have asked me - why didn't you claim off your house insurance.
    I never thought about it, but would that have been something that could've been done? Again, just to satisfy curiosity.

Page 1
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 16th Oct 16, 10:07 AM
    • 518 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:07 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:07 AM
    Your policy booklet will tell you what is and isn't covered, they don't magically make up terms when you come to claim. You should always read the booklet to see what you're covered for and, if your claims fits in with those, then it'd be covered.

I have accidental damage cover as if an accident happened IE i spill red wine on my cream carpet, I can't afford to just replace it.

In regards to the damp, it's likely that wouldn't have been covered. No home insurance policy will cover you for any damage that has been caused gradually, nor will it cover any damage that occurred before you took out the policy.
    Slimming Target;
    Total weight lost = 14lb
    • Mungo76
    • By Mungo76 17th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Mungo76
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    If it's a fiver or tenner more, I'd say it's a no brainer. When it comes to claim time, AD cover is a lifesaver.

Regarding the water, I'm presuming it's already been covered in another post, has the issue of secondary flooding been looked into? or is it a gradual build up?
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 17th Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    To be honest this is the first time I've ever heard of secondary flooding.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,764Posts Today

6,413Users online

Martin's Twitter