Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Freebyman
    • By Freebyman 16th Oct 16, 8:21 AM
    • 547Posts
    • 109Thanks
    Freebyman
    amazon bike query
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:21 AM
    amazon bike query 16th Oct 16 at 8:21 AM
    Hi, I am the lucky recipient of £300 worth of amazon email vouchers and was hoping to get a new bike with it. However it seems that amazon is a minefield when it comes to looking for one.

Ideally Im looking for a hybrid with disc brakes, are there any out there at that price range? The ones Ive seen are in their thousands!
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevard’s white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
Page 1
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 16th Oct 16, 3:04 PM
    • 11,031 Posts
    • 7,384 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:04 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:04 PM
    Bad, bad idea. Amazon is great for books, but if you are buying a bike you need to go to a physical shop so that you can try out different bikes, and ask them to adjust your chosen bike to suit your body.

And re-think that budget: a decent bike, bought new, will not leave much change from a thousand pounds. If you buy new and spend significantly less than that you will get something that is unpleasant to ride, in the "cheap and nasty" category. If you don't want to spend that much money then look at secondhand options, where high quality can be very affordable.
    • Freebyman
    • By Freebyman 17th Oct 16, 6:50 AM
    • 547 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Freebyman
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:50 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:50 AM
    It does seem to me to be a non starter, however I do think a decent bike can be had for less. It all depends on how you term decent I suppose. And your right about the fit etc, think I mighr spend the vouchers on something else.
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevard’s white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 17th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    • 685 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    fred246
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    Something like the Claud Butler Urban 500 Gents Yellow Urban Bike would be the best. Nobody can recommend a £300 bike as good as a £1000 bike. You have to make compromises. Not sure about yellow colour though. Buying online gives you the advantage of distance selling regulations. If you're not happy after a week send it back. You can't legally insist on that if you buy from a shop.
    My recommendations for the best budget hybrid
    Alloy Frame
    No suspension
    V-brakes
    Trigger shifters
    Shimano gears.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th Oct 16, 11:45 AM
    • 8,627 Posts
    • 5,652 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:45 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:45 AM
    Bad, bad idea. Amazon is great for books, but if you are buying a bike you need to go to a physical shop so that you can try out different bikes, and ask them to adjust your chosen bike to suit your body.

And re-think that budget: a decent bike, bought new, will not leave much change from a thousand pounds. If you buy new and spend significantly less than that you will get something that is unpleasant to ride, in the "cheap and nasty" category. If you don't want to spend that much money then look at secondhand options, where high quality can be very affordable.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    TBH, you don't have to spend a grand to get a pretty decent bike. You can get a really good bike for half that.

Totally agree about going to an actual bike shop and trying a bike for size.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,742Posts Today

5,849Users online

Martin's Twitter