Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emily1975
    • By Emily1975 16th Oct 16, 7:24 AM
    • 60Posts
    • 31Thanks
    Emily1975
    Refund of delivery costs?
    • #1
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:24 AM
    Refund of delivery costs? 16th Oct 16 at 7:24 AM
    Hi! I bought some items from Land's End in July for approx £200, and also paid a £3.95 delivery charge.

    In the end I decided to return the entire order which I did a couple of weeks ago. Land's End has a very generous returns policy with no returns deadline so it didn't matter that it was over 2 months since the original order.

    I received the refund a couple of days ago and, to my surprise, the £3.95 delivery cost was not refunded. It was my understanding that if you return the entire order the seller is obliged to refund this under the consumer contracts regulations (previously, distance selling regulations).

    Is this right? Or does this only cover returns made in the first 28 days (during which the seller is obliged to accept them, subject to a few technicalities)?

    For the avoidance of doubt I'm not disputing the cost I bore in actually returning the items to Land's End (£2.70 courier cost which I was happy to pay).
Page 1
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 16th Oct 16, 7:29 AM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 3,559 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • #2
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:29 AM
    • #2
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:29 AM
    A rare case of a company with a generous, unlimited return period and you are whinging about £3.95?

    It won't be long before this company tightens the return policy up with customers like you.

    Then you would have been stuck with £200 worth of items you took 3 months to decide you didn't want.
    Originally Posted by MSE Forum Team
    We’ve had to remove your signature because what you wrote was true and sensible and there's no room for that here.
    • Emily1975
    • By Emily1975 16th Oct 16, 7:49 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Emily1975
    • #3
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:49 AM
    • #3
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:49 AM
    Thanks - couple of clarifications. I wasn't intending to whinge (let me know which bit sounds like whinging so I can edit it), very happy with Land's End service, just wanting to check my understanding of the law. As I said I had no beef with paying to return the items.

    It didn't take 3 months to decide on the items I didn't want - decision was made within the first month.

    I think Land's End would also want to know if they're refund processing was non-compliant! And I'm sure it won't be, hence me coming on here to understand where my understanding is flawed.
    Last edited by Emily1975; 16-10-2016 at 8:02 AM.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 16th Oct 16, 8:08 AM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 3,559 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • #4
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:08 AM
    • #4
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:08 AM
    Hi! I bought some items from Land's End in July for approx £200, and also paid a £3.95 delivery charge.

    In the end I decided to return the entire order which I did a couple of weeks ago. Land's End has a very generous returns policy with no returns deadline so it didn't matter that it was over 2 months since the original order.
    Originally posted by Emily1975
    It didn't take 3 months to decide on the items I didn't want - decision was made within the first month.

    I think Land's End would also want to know if they're refund processing was non-compliant! And I'm sure it won't be, hence me coming on here to understand where my understanding is flawed.
    Originally posted by Emily1975
    You are contradicting yourself already. Why didn't you return the items as soon as you had decided you didn't want them?

    Just accept that you have tied up £200 worth of stock until you bothered to get round to actually returning them and that has cost you £3.95.

    Most other places would have told you that a return is not possible.

    I wasn't intending to whinge (let me know which bit sounds like whinging so I can edit it)
    Originally posted by Emily1975
    Your whole post is whingey. Please delete it, move on in your life and have a pleasant Sunday
    Last edited by usefulmale; 16-10-2016 at 8:16 AM.
    Originally Posted by MSE Forum Team
    We’ve had to remove your signature because what you wrote was true and sensible and there's no room for that here.
    • Emily1975
    • By Emily1975 16th Oct 16, 8:16 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Emily1975
    • #5
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:16 AM
    • #5
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:16 AM
    I can't see why that's relevant to the question, but to put your mind at rest...

    Timeline:
    Order made - 24 July
    Items arrived - 27 July
    Decision made as to what to return - 23 August (recall the date as it was immediately prior to going on holiday on 24 August)
    Return sent - 7 October

    Reason for delay in returning, being regularly overseas (holiday and for work), and no imperative to return given returns policy.

    Trying to interpret your middle paragraph - are you saying it's the 28 days that's the key issue here?
    • Emily1975
    • By Emily1975 16th Oct 16, 8:44 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Emily1975
    • #6
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:44 AM
    • #6
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:44 AM
    Your whole post is whingey. Please delete it, move on in your life and have a pleasant Sunday
    Originally posted by usefulmale
    Whinging is complaining persistently. I cannot see anywhere in my posts where I have complained at all, let alone persistently.

    I've said I'm happy with their service, that they've done something which has surprised me and want to understand why. You must have a different definition of whinging to me.

    If I delete that post, the thread will make no sense, so that's not a very intelligent or constructive suggestion.

    I'm beginning to think you do not know the answer, or else you would not be dragging it out so long. Unless you are being a bit of a tease?
    • anmarj
    • By anmarj 16th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 1,187 Thanks
    anmarj
    • #7
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • #7
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    http://www.landsend.co.uk/Returns/co/mobile-cs-returns.html

    Reading the terms they state that if the return is after 14 days postage is not refunded, it is after the heading consumer contract 2013 bit �� Whether that is correct is anybody's guess
    mummy to one

    "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    • Emily1975
    • By Emily1975 16th Oct 16, 8:49 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Emily1975
    • #8
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:49 AM
    • #8
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:49 AM
    Thanks anmarj - I've been looking on their website but missed that somehow. Mystery solved
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 16th Oct 16, 8:52 AM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 3,559 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • #9
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:52 AM
    • #9
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:52 AM
    I can't see why that's relevant to the question, but to put your mind at rest...

    Timeline:
    Order made - 24 July
    Items arrived - 27 July
    Decision made as to what to return - 23 August (recall the date as it was immediately prior to going on holiday on 24 August)
    Return sent - 7 October

    Reason for delay in returning, being regularly overseas (holiday and for work), and no imperative to return given returns policy.

    Trying to interpret your middle paragraph - are you saying it's the 28 days that's the key issue here?
    Originally posted by Emily1975
    I'm not saying anything of the sort. I'm not going to help you claim back a miserable £3.95.

    You seem to be very selfish. You waited almost a month to decide you didn't want the items, deciding the day before you swan off on holiday for a month or so.

    By your own admission, the retailer has shown exemplary customer service and has an open-ended returns policy. You never know. You might want to buy from these people again. Just accept you are a poxy £3.95 down and move on.

    For all we know, them items are seasonal and the retailer is now left with stock they cannot sell just because you have been precious and dithered with returning them for almost three months.
    Originally Posted by MSE Forum Team
    We’ve had to remove your signature because what you wrote was true and sensible and there's no room for that here.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 16th Oct 16, 8:55 AM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 3,559 Thanks
    usefulmale
    If I delete that post, the thread will make no sense, so that's not a very intelligent or constructive suggestion.

    I'm beginning to think you do not know the answer, or else you would not be dragging it out so long. Unless you are being a bit of a tease?
    Originally posted by Emily1975
    I should have said delete the thread.

    I have 2 online businesses of many years standing. I know the answer.
    Originally Posted by MSE Forum Team
    We’ve had to remove your signature because what you wrote was true and sensible and there's no room for that here.
    • Emily1975
    • By Emily1975 16th Oct 16, 9:16 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Emily1975
    It's you who is contradicting yourself now. You say you don't want to help me but yet you are posting me advice on this forum. Or are you saying you are a troll??!

    All I wanted to know was why this transaction didn't qualify for a postage refund. If you read very carefully you'll see I never said I was annoyed about the £3.95 (just surprised), nor did I say I necessarily cared about getting it back. I did say I just wanted to understand the rules better because the evidence suggested my current understanding was flawed.

    In what way is this selfish? It's just intellectual curiosity. The whole ethos of this website is to help people better understand consumer rights.

    But I've got the impression from your posts you don't like answering direct questions, you just reply with generalisations...

    For all we know, them items are seasonal...
    Originally posted by usefulmale
    I have to say that just about sums up your approach. Guess what the circumstances are, formulate judgement and answer based on that. I hope you never get called up for jury service!

    Just seen your latest post - it's pretty clear to everyone you didn't know the answer (or rather the answer you thought you knew was incorrect). Otherwise instead of jumping to conclusions and saying you wouldn't help me get the money back you would have said I have no right to it.

    But don't worry, I am not judgemental.
    Last edited by Emily1975; 16-10-2016 at 9:25 AM.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 16th Oct 16, 9:52 AM
    • 9,686 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    My take on it.

    Under CCR you have 14 days from delivery to use your 'change of mind' return power.

    As you didn't use CCR then your return is based on the company's return policy.

    You can't have CCR cover for 'change of mind' if you don't abide by the returns times.
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
    • Emily1975
    • By Emily1975 16th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Emily1975
    Thanks theonlywayisup - same conclusion as I have reached.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 16th Oct 16, 10:05 AM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 3,559 Thanks
    usefulmale
    All I wanted to know was why this transaction didn't qualify for a postage refund. If you read very carefully you'll see I never said I was annoyed about the £3.95 (just surprised), nor did I say I necessarily cared about getting it back. I did say I just wanted to understand the rules better because the evidence suggested my current understanding was flawed.
    Originally posted by Emily1975
    Thanks anmarj - I've been looking on their website but missed that somehow. Mystery solved
    Originally posted by Emily1975
    Pot, meet kettle.

    If you had taken your own advice, you would not have had to start this thread.
    Originally Posted by MSE Forum Team
    We’ve had to remove your signature because what you wrote was true and sensible and there's no room for that here.
    • Emily1975
    • By Emily1975 16th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Emily1975
    Well duurrr - why would I have started this thread if I had already found the answer?

    In other news, if you had revealed your (apparent) expert knowledge in the first place you wouldn't have had to reply five times

    What's made you so grumpy this morning? Are you a Hull City fan?
    • The-Truth
    • By The-Truth 17th Oct 16, 8:01 AM
    • 308 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    The-Truth
    Thanks theonlywayisup - same conclusion as I have reached.
    Originally posted by Emily1975
    So apologise then as you're wrong!
    God no wonder there's laws protecting sellers. It's people like you who cause them!!!!!
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 17th Oct 16, 8:45 AM
    • 994 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    DoaM
    http://www.landsend.co.uk/Returns/co/mobile-cs-returns.html

    Reading the terms they state that if the return is after 14 days postage is not refunded, it is after the heading consumer contract 2013 bit �� Whether that is correct is anybody's guess
    Originally posted by anmarj
    If they're only mentioning the CCRs then they're a little out of date ... the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is what matters now. (Albeit the CRA incorporates pretty much without change what the CCRs covered).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 17th Oct 16, 9:36 AM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 3,446 Thanks
    George Michael
    If they're only mentioning the CCRs then they're a little out of date ... the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is what matters now. (Albeit the CRA incorporates pretty much without change what the CCRs covered).
    Originally posted by DoaM
    The CCR's are far from being "A little out of date" as they only came info force a little over 2 years ago (June 2014) and for the matter in hand, it is the CCR's that matter and not the CRA.

    The CCR's (Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013) superseded the Distance selling regulations and it is the CCR's that allow for the 14 day change of mind for consumers (for most goods) and it is these regulations that state amongst other things, what information must be provided by the retailer and what they must return in the way of the price and postage originally paid and who is responsible for the return postage costs in the event of a cancellation.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th Oct 16, 10:06 AM
    • 8,570 Posts
    • 5,607 Thanks
    neilmcl
    If they're only mentioning the CCRs then they're a little out of date ... the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is what matters now. (Albeit the CRA incorporates pretty much without change what the CCRs covered).
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Oh dear.

    You're completely mixing up 2 separate pieces of consumer legislation. The CCRs (Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013) is the latest piece of legislation that replaces the old Distance Selling Regulations. The CRA (Consumer Rights Act 2015) came into force to replace the Sale of Goods Act.

    It's the CCRs that's relevant here.
    • fleshandbone
    • By fleshandbone 17th Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    fleshandbone
    The OP is the reason why this country is going downhill, there is literally no good faith from customers now, all they care about is what the law says or scanning T&C's looking for reasons to make demands.

    I hope the OP gets there £3.95 so they can feel great about themselves.
    Live and let live, love and not hate, sing and be joyous, respect all mankind and natures gifts
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,789Posts Today

6,532Users online

Martin's Twitter