Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Naddan
    • By Naddan 16th Oct 16, 12:41 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 68Thanks
    Naddan
    Double Yellow Lines
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:41 AM
    Double Yellow Lines 16th Oct 16 at 12:41 AM
    I hope this is the right thread to post, apologies if not.

Myself and other residents have recently received a letter from the council requesting that we move our cars elsewhere as we are causing obstruction to the roads. They also request for those that park partially on the grass verge, which is myself, to not do so as we are causing issues with maintaining the verge (even though this is eliminating the obstruction issue). The letter goes on to say that once the road is adopted (it's currently owned by the builders) then they will be considering putting in traffic measures to stop parking which I can only assume will be yellow lines. The frustrating thing is the grass verge is wide enough to fit a car plus more so to me widening the road would be the more sensible option (although pricier option in the council's eyes) as yellow lines will only serve to move the problem elsewhere as we will still need to park so would move to neighbouring streets which are already congested due to how narrow they are.

My question is what can I do to appeal the yellow lines and convince the council to widen the roads? I just don't know where to start!

I am completely aware that the road is public property and I am not "entitled" to park there. If the council go ahead with yellow lines then so be it. I am just wanting to fight for a better solution

Oh and before I'm asked why I bought my house if I didn't have enough parking...I bought the house under the impression that I had a garage and a drive. I never thought to question whether a car garage could actually fit a car...turns out mine fits a small car but good luck getting the doors open!

Added - Oops I should have said that we have 2 cars so we already use our driveway!
    Last edited by Naddan; 16-10-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Missed information
Page 2
    • Naddan
    • By Naddan 16th Oct 16, 11:33 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Naddan
    The point I'm trying to make is if you wish to make some appeal to the council then the likelihood is you would indeed need to justify yourself. Personally, I'm not convinced but then I'm not your local council.

All I can say is good luck.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    And that's okay. I'm not out to convince the forum, just needed to know where to start. Thank you
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 16th Oct 16, 11:34 AM
    • 5,325 Posts
    • 6,675 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    From the council view they have spotted untapped revenue to be made from parking penalties.
    I would see if the builder would assign it to a residents management arrangement.
    You can then raise funds to create parking by charging a yearly permit fee.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • Naddan
    • By Naddan 16th Oct 16, 11:37 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Naddan
    From the council view they have spotted untapped revenue to be made from parking penalties.
    I would see if the builder would assign it to a residents management arrangement.
    Originally posted by Marktheshark
    Thank you. This is exactly the type of information I need so I know where to begin!
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 16th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 5,325 Posts
    • 6,675 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    The issue is do not underestimate how far and how much money the council will throw at it to create a problem.
    They will have thought of the parking on nearby streets issue as well.

They work on crisis + solution.
    First they create a problem, peeing everyone off then they solve it by selling you residents permits, which can be over a grand a year in some areas.

If you want somewhere to park, you need to the keep the councils nose out of it.
    Having nowhere to park will also devalue the property.
    https://www.gov.uk/set-up-property-management-company
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • Naddan
    • By Naddan 16th Oct 16, 11:59 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Naddan
    That is a worry with 2 houses on our street as they're already struggling to sell their houses with the current parking situation. The information you've given me is definitely a possible solution. I'll read further into it, thank you!
    • force ten
    • By force ten 16th Oct 16, 12:11 PM
    • 1,557 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    force ten
    I would suspect that people have been complaining not only about the cars obstructing the view at the junction but i suspect they have had complaints about people parking on the verges so they are acting on the complaints

at the moment the road is owned by the developer so it is them that would be responsible for making any changes to the current lay out, but i cant see them being interested, if you got them to widen the verge at the front of your house and create extra parking bays it would not be long before you found the spaces being taken by drivers from other streets or by people that live on your own street

I agree that builders building a garage that will only fit a very small town car is crazy, i have a mondeo and it will just fit in the garage it is very difficult to get out of the car and the door wont close because the car is to long

I think you would be better looking for a solution within the boundaries of your property, do you have a front lawn and could you put down a couple of strips of eco grid filled with gravel and utilise part of the garden for parking

I think you will have no joy with the council doing anything due to budget restraints, they are not going to adopt a road and then spend a huge chunk of their budget providing a parking solution for the residents
    • photome
    • By photome 16th Oct 16, 12:17 PM
    • 12,002 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    photome
    Nothing to do with the fact you keep parking on it then.

I'm sorry but You effectively have car parking for at least 2 cars, if you can't use your garage then that's entirely down to you. Fit a different garage door if you can't use the current one to accommodate your existing car.

Think of the alternative, there's plenty of posts in this forum alone of people complaining of others legitimately parking on the road in front others homes causing hassle for them to get their cars out in the morning, etc.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    does that apply to me as well.

I bought a new build 20 years ago, the garage isnt wide enough to fit a car in and be able to get out of it, nothing to do with the garage door

I have however taken to using my front lawn as extra parking as the drive will only fit one car
    • Naddan
    • By Naddan 16th Oct 16, 12:47 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Naddan
    Thanks for your reply and I do agree that I'm probably fighting a losing battle trying to convince the council to cough up money.

We have a small front lawn which inclines considerably and we have a staircase leading to our house. Although not impossible to have a drive built, I think it would be a costly job as they'd need to remove the stair case and reduce the incline so it is not something we could afford in the foreseeable future. Although this is still a future option. Unfortunately, it's not a solution for all of our neighbours though.
    • ---lee---
    • By ---lee--- 16th Oct 16, 1:00 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    ---lee---
    Out of interest, how wide is your garage and what car are you Trying to park. I consider my garage to be very small. It's 2530mm at its widest point, narrower at the brick piers.

I recently totally cleared the garage and I can park my daughters Skoda Fabia 2 hatchback in it with plenty of room to open the door quite wide to get out provided I reverse in at a hideous angle. This leaves say 10-20mm of space between the passenger rear wing and the wall.

I have previously also had a Subaru Imprezza estate parked in there is a similar fashion but I was only able to get out of it byou winding the window down as it had frameless doors.

I think it's about time garages were made to a minimum size. My house was built in 85, so it's hardly a new build.
    • force ten
    • By force ten 16th Oct 16, 1:14 PM
    • 1,557 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    force ten
    the other option would be a change of car to a small car or town car that would fit in the garage

this would be an option that may carry some cost and would be one solution that would create another problem, the person driving the car in the garage wants to go out first so you have to go out defrost and warm up the car on the drive then move it get the car out of the garage and then move the other car back on the drive not such a hardship if two of you are doing this but a faff if you are doing it on your own

this is one of the reasons that many opt for the easy option of parking the second car on the street, in the ideal world the estate developer would provide side by side parking for two cars within the boundaries of each property but that is never going to happen
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 16th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    • 2,689 Posts
    • 2,492 Thanks
    Sleazy
    But there would be no other option as I would have nowhere else to park.
    Originally posted by Naddan
    You could of course be a one car family. A lot of parking issues seem to be because everybody in a household wants their own car, resulting in an overall loss of space for all.
    *** IF IN DOUBT, BLAME BREXIT ***
    • force ten
    • By force ten 16th Oct 16, 1:34 PM
    • 1,557 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    force ten
    is it the garages are to small or the cars are to big ?

i know that when my sister buys car the number one thing on her list is the dimensions of the car and will it fit it in the garage
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th Oct 16, 2:02 PM
    • 8,606 Posts
    • 5,637 Thanks
    neilmcl
    does that apply to me as well.

I bought a new build 20 years ago, the garage isnt wide enough to fit a car in and be able to get out of it, nothing to do with the garage door

I have however taken to using my front lawn as extra parking as the drive will only fit one car
    Originally posted by photome
    Wide enough to fit a car or your car in?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    Car 54
    Originally posted by Marktheshark
    Doesn't that mean keeping the road private, with all the related ongoing costs - repairs and eventual relaying, sweeping, lighting, etc.?
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 16th Oct 16, 2:37 PM
    • 24,279 Posts
    • 29,934 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    This seems to me to be a case of the council seeing a small problem and then putting down lines which will force drivers to look elsewhere and exacerbate problems on nearby streets.
    Millies due back at Christmas.
    • Naddan
    • By Naddan 16th Oct 16, 10:29 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Naddan
    Thank you to everybody who has replied answering my original question. I have a lot of information to look at and we have sent a few emails and received replies (who knew people would be checking emails on a Sunday!) so I've at least got a starting point.

I'm sorry if anybody feels like I've ignored their point. I really do respect it but I just think people are forgetting my original question and that this is not just about me and my circumstances. Unfortunately, the suggestions given do not offer a solution for everybody (the van neighbours for example).

I'm going to leave it there with the replying as I think I have enough to go on for the moment. Again, thank you!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

74Posts Today

3,498Users online

Martin's Twitter