Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Naddan
    • By Naddan 16th Oct 16, 12:41 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 68Thanks
    Naddan
    Double Yellow Lines
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:41 AM
    Double Yellow Lines 16th Oct 16 at 12:41 AM
    I hope this is the right thread to post, apologies if not.

Myself and other residents have recently received a letter from the council requesting that we move our cars elsewhere as we are causing obstruction to the roads. They also request for those that park partially on the grass verge, which is myself, to not do so as we are causing issues with maintaining the verge (even though this is eliminating the obstruction issue). The letter goes on to say that once the road is adopted (it's currently owned by the builders) then they will be considering putting in traffic measures to stop parking which I can only assume will be yellow lines. The frustrating thing is the grass verge is wide enough to fit a car plus more so to me widening the road would be the more sensible option (although pricier option in the council's eyes) as yellow lines will only serve to move the problem elsewhere as we will still need to park so would move to neighbouring streets which are already congested due to how narrow they are.

My question is what can I do to appeal the yellow lines and convince the council to widen the roads? I just don't know where to start!

I am completely aware that the road is public property and I am not "entitled" to park there. If the council go ahead with yellow lines then so be it. I am just wanting to fight for a better solution

Oh and before I'm asked why I bought my house if I didn't have enough parking...I bought the house under the impression that I had a garage and a drive. I never thought to question whether a car garage could actually fit a car...turns out mine fits a small car but good luck getting the doors open!

Added - Oops I should have said that we have 2 cars so we already use our driveway!
    Last edited by Naddan; 16-10-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Missed information
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 16th Oct 16, 3:40 AM
    • 10,610 Posts
    • 6,006 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:40 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:40 AM
    But you have a driveway to park on.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 16th Oct 16, 7:01 AM
    • 5,440 Posts
    • 10,131 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:01 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:01 AM
    If the road is owned by the builders you could pay to widen the road, however this would remove an important water permeable surface.

Park on your driveway.
    • lush walrus
    • By lush walrus 16th Oct 16, 7:11 AM
    • 1,755 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    lush walrus
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:11 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:11 AM
    If the development was built with scant parking that will be what the planners and the council want. A developer has little interest in providing green space, parking sells. Therefore I anticipate you will not get very far with asking them to widen the road.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th Oct 16, 7:23 AM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:23 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:23 AM
    Talk to the council and find out what their thinking is, rather than trying to guess. If you don't like it, get together with your neighbours so you can present a united front. Get your local councillor(s) involved.

It's much easier to influence a decision than to change one after it's made.
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 16th Oct 16, 7:41 AM
    • 5,025 Posts
    • 3,823 Thanks
    prosaver
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:41 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:41 AM
    I think it would be parking permit s more than anything. ..why, is there a need for yellow lines?
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 16th Oct 16, 8:57 AM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 760 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:57 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:57 AM
    As far as I know, the council has to apply for a traffic regulation order before they can restrict the parking. This is published in the local press and you have the chance to raise objections to it. I'm not sure what constitutes a valid objection though.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th Oct 16, 9:43 AM
    • 8,606 Posts
    • 5,637 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:43 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:43 AM
    So not content with a garage and a drive you want he council to dig up all the green space in the street so you can park on the road as well!
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Oct 16, 9:49 AM
    • 15,653 Posts
    • 11,355 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:49 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:49 AM
    I think it would be parking permit s more than anything. ..why, is there a need for yellow lines?
    Originally posted by prosaver
    Because parking in the road is causing obstruction, permits wouldn't remove that obstruction but preventing parking with double yellow lines would.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 16th Oct 16, 10:13 AM
    • 926 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    loskie
    at the moment as the road is unadopted do the council have any right to tell you how to park? Surely it is none of their business.
    • Naddan
    • By Naddan 16th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Naddan
    But you have a driveway to park on.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    I should have said in my original post that we do use our drive. We have 2 cars so one is parked on the drive.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 16th Oct 16, 10:31 AM
    • 19,740 Posts
    • 12,107 Thanks
    dacouch
    Because parking in the road is causing obstruction, permits wouldn't remove that obstruction but preventing parking with double yellow lines would.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Double yellows would also prevent (Ruining) parking on the verge.
    • Naddan
    • By Naddan 16th Oct 16, 10:43 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Naddan
    Originally posted by prosaver
    Other residents complained to the council that the vehicles closest to the junction were restricting sight and causing an obstruction. They are parked in accordance to the law but as 2 are vans, it does make seeing down the road more difficult (but not impossible).
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th Oct 16, 10:45 AM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    Car 54
    at the moment as the road is unadopted do the council have any right to tell you how to park? Surely it is none of their business.
    Originally posted by loskie
    The offence of unnecessary obstruction appears to apply on any road, private or not. [The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, section 103]

Also, the council have a requirement to ensure access for the emergency services. Could a fire engine get past the parked cars?
    • Naddan
    • By Naddan 16th Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Naddan
    So not content with a garage and a drive you want he council to dig up all the green space in the street so you can park on the road as well!
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Wow, nice friendly reply....

Firstly, I forgot to say we use our drive. Secondly, I did mention that we bought the house with the intention of using the garage only to realise you could get my car in but it wasn't wide enough to get the doors open. And lastly, if you want to call a grass verge that is full of weeds, never maintained (despite what the council say) and full of mud where dogs dig it up "green space" then by all means do. However, we wouldn't lose the verge as it is wide enough that you could widen the road and still have an ample verge (like the rest of my neighbourhood).
    • Naddan
    • By Naddan 16th Oct 16, 10:55 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Naddan
    Originally posted by loskie
    You're right The council have said that they legally cannot tell us to move, the letter was more of a threat of what will happen when they adopt the road. I would just like to prepare now for what I think is the inevitable.
    • Naddan
    • By Naddan 16th Oct 16, 10:58 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Naddan
    The offence of unnecessary obstruction appears to apply on any road, private or not. [The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, section 103]

Also, the council have a requirement to ensure access for the emergency services. Could a fire engine get past the parked cars?
    Originally posted by Car 54
    There is no obstruction to emergency vehicles. We have buses and lorries pass on a daily basis. You can fit 2 average cars through if you wanted although I appreciate that many dont have the confidence to try. Although they are saying that everybody parking there are causing an obstruction, I think the main concern is those who park nearer to the junction (although still within the law)
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    • 8,606 Posts
    • 5,637 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Wow, nice friendly reply....

Firstly, I forgot to say we use our drive. Secondly, I did mention that we bought the house with the intention of using the garage only to realise you could get my car in but it wasn't wide enough to get the doors open. And lastly, if you want to call a grass verge that is full of weeds, never maintained (despite what the council say) and full of mud where dogs dig it up "green space" then by all means do. However, we wouldn't lose the verge as it is wide enough that you could widen the road and still have an ample verge (like the rest of my neighbourhood).
    Originally posted by Naddan
    Nothing to do with the fact you keep parking on it then.

I'm sorry but You effectively have car parking for at least 2 cars, if you can't use your garage then that's entirely down to you. Fit a different garage door if you can't use the current one to accommodate your existing car.

Think of the alternative, there's plenty of posts in this forum alone of people complaining of others legitimately parking on the road in front others homes causing hassle for them to get their cars out in the morning, etc.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 16-10-2016 at 11:03 AM.
    • Naddan
    • By Naddan 16th Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Naddan
    Nothing to do with the fact you keep parking on it then.

I'm sorry but You effectively have car parking for at least 2 cars, if you can't use your garage then that's entirely down to you. Fit a different garage door if you can't use the current one to accommodate your existing car.

Think of the alternative, there's plenty of posts in this forum alone of people complaining of others legitimately parking on the road in front others homes causing hassle for them to get their cars out in the morning, etc.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Actually, no. Nothing to do with me parking on it (although I will take responsibility for the patch outside my home).

Not that I should need to keep justifying myself as it is not helpful at all to my original question but the car doesn't fit in the garage. I could change the door and it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. I will still have a narrow garage and a short drive that cannot accommodate 2 cars.

I'm not sure if you think I am writing with a tone of entitlement with the tone of your responses. Trust me I am not. I could quite happily move my car round the corner, off the main road and problem solved for me. However, that's an "I'm all right, Jack" attitude to have. Not only will it still leave some of my neighbours struggling as some have vans so would cause a bigger obstruction in narrow streets, it will also mean parking outside of somebody else's house which I do not want to do and like you have said yourself causes complaint for others. But there would be no other option as I would have nowhere else to park.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th Oct 16, 11:25 AM
    • 8,606 Posts
    • 5,637 Thanks
    neilmcl
    The point I'm trying to make is if you wish to make some appeal to the council then the likelihood is you would indeed need to justify yourself. Personally, I'm not convinced but then I'm not your local council.

All I can say is good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,724Users online

Martin's Twitter