Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DragonLady85
    • By DragonLady85 16th Oct 16, 12:30 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    DragonLady85
    Looking for up-to-date advice for Debenhams PPI Claim
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:30 AM
    Looking for up-to-date advice for Debenhams PPI Claim 16th Oct 16 at 12:30 AM
    Hi everyone - I know this is a topic that's been posted about a lot, but I am completely new to this so I'd be hugely grateful for some current advice!

My mum took out a Debenhams store card in the early nineties, she still has it. She was approached by a PPI reclaim company to file a complaint and reclaim money she was owed, but she since decided not to work with them, which I'm relieved about as I don't want them taking a percentage of anything she's owed. She's recovering from an operation and my father is ill also, so I told her I'd try to handle it myself, find out who to write to, what she needs to do, etc.

Looking at past threads, I've seen lists about providers, banks, underwriters, everything about New Day, Genworth, Santander and the like, and many seem to give conflicting information about who to approach - I assume because legislation has changed several times?

I just want to know if anyone could give me definitive advice about who to contact first, and what she needs to provide - ie. do we contact Santander first, or New Day, or just contact the ombudsman? And if we're turned down by the first, who do we go to next? Is the ombudsman the 'last resort' for claims like these?

I know there is a chance that we won't achieve anything and people seem to have had mixed results, but given how hard things have been for her lately I want to have the best chance, and make sure all our ducks are in a row!

If anyone has had (recent) success with a Debenhams store card claim, or can give me a solid idea of where to start, I'd be so so grateful. I have found these forums very interesting since I started browsing about PPI, so hopefully someone out there can help me!

Thanks so much!
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 16th Oct 16, 10:59 AM
    • 6,456 Posts
    • 3,727 Thanks
    -taff
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:59 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:59 AM
    Phone Debenhams, tell them you want to complain aboit PPI they will tell you who to contact, then probably Santander then probably GE Money.

It all dependns who says yes first, but don't get your hopes up, they weren't regulated then so all of them can refuse your complaint.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 16th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 34,735 Posts
    • 44,719 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    does she have any provable reasons for complaint.
    You dont get it back just because you paid it.

As taff says, it is pre regulation so they can just dismiss her out of hand.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • DragonLady85
    • By DragonLady85 16th Oct 16, 1:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    DragonLady85
    • 16th Oct 16, 1:35 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 1:35 PM
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes I've seen many instances where people were refused, so I'm prepared in case nothing comes of it, but I want to try just in case. It's been really helpful to see resources about reasons for complaint, so I'll talk to her about them before we proceed with anything - I'll try contacting Debenhams first!

Really appreciate you taking the time to reply taff & McKneff, best wishes
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 16th Oct 16, 4:41 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 16th Oct 16, 4:41 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 4:41 PM
    Yes, successfully reclaimed PPI on 2 old store cards this year for OH from the then Arcadia Group.

The Santander PPI team were very helpful (providing details by 'phone), although escalated to the Ombudsman (FOS) before accepting the final offers.

In short the:

Santander > FOS > Genworth route is currently proving successful for those reclaiming missold PPI payments (+ 8% pa interest) from Debenhams, DP, TopShop, Burton, etc. In most cases the first port of call should suffice.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • gramochroi
    • By gramochroi 16th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    gramochroi
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    I recently contacted Santander about a Top Shop account I had going back to 1985. The lady I spoke to was very helpful. I only had my account number and she was able to look back and tell me straight away that there was PPI added. She asked me my reasons why I felt I was mis-sold the insurance, I told her why and eight weeks later, have been made an offer. If your Mum has legitimate reasons why this insurance shouldn't have been sold to her, hopefully you will be able to make a successful claim on her behalf. Legitimate reasons for mis-selling this insurance can be found elsewhere on this forum and on the Money Saving Expert weekly newsletter. Good luck.
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 16th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 9,133 Posts
    • 5,579 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    I recently contacted Santander about a Top Shop account I had going back to 1985.
    Originally posted by gramochroi
    It sounds like you were lucky.

Santander do not have to deal with events from 1985 because that predates both the Building Societies and Banking Ombudsman Schemes.

Also, PPI (or its predecessor, ASU) was very rare back then.
    • safestored4
    • By safestored4 16th Oct 16, 10:42 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    safestored4
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:42 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:42 PM
    Dragonlady85 - do you know for certain that your mother ever had PPI? Details about this are not in the public domain and any PPI reclaiming company which rings you up on a cold call is blatently lying if they claim that this is the case.

For a starter check your mothers monthly statements. If she has PPI this will be itemised separately each month unless she paid the account in full in which case no PPI will be charged.

l
    • AlisonJCS
    • By AlisonJCS 19th Oct 16, 2:49 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    AlisonJCS
    • 19th Oct 16, 2:49 PM
    • 19th Oct 16, 2:49 PM
    This is what I did in relation to my Debenhams Store Card
    Phoned Santander 0800 171 2171. I believe that gets you through to their help desk, they take your details and then send you a form to complete. Send this back giving as much information as possible. They then investigate. I heard back with an offer after approx 12 weeks.
    Good luck
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,968Posts Today

6,109Users online

Martin's Twitter