Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Erucsbo
    • By Erucsbo 15th Oct 16, 11:32 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Consolidation Loan Loop
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:32 PM
    Consolidation Loan Loop 15th Oct 16 at 11:32 PM
    So over the years I've added up through one way or another a decent debt on credit cards.

They are affordable as I have a good salary, I pay more than the minimum each month and I can still afford life but I really would like to just get rid of them once and for all.

So basically I thought I'd apply for a loan to consolidate the cards into one loan and then just close the card accounts and have a 5 year loan that I can simply pay off.

The problem is, I tried and failed to acquire a loan due to my existing financial owing as the computer decided that it would be more than the recommended level of borrowing. This is despite wanting the loan solely to pay off those other debts.

So aside from paying off these cards over what seems like forever, what else can I do to just get a timeline at least on getting rid of them?

Advise is appreciated.
Page 1
    • redux
    • By redux 16th Oct 16, 12:03 AM
    • 15,350 Posts
    • 18,041 Thanks
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:03 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:03 AM
    If you went to the debt-free wannabe board and posted there, they would advise you that a consolidation loan might initially seem like a solution, but people can end up doing new spending on the cards as well, and the debt amount keeps increasing.

What is really needed to start with is to analyse spending, and decide where cuts can be made. Plenty of people in that section will offer help.

Once the balances are down a bit, it could be possible to use card balance transfer offers to reduce the interest, but again, keep the overall amount going down
    Last edited by redux; 16-10-2016 at 12:11 AM.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 16th Oct 16, 12:36 AM
    • 8,601 Posts
    • 11,314 Thanks
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:36 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:36 AM
    Do you pay more than the minimum payments on all your credit cards or just the one with the highest APR? If it's the former stop doing that and start doing the latter. It's called snowballing.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Erucsbo
    • By Erucsbo 16th Oct 16, 8:48 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:48 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:48 AM
    Currently all 4 I pay more than the minimum but I see what your saying. Perhaps I can tailor it towards paying the most on the !!!!!! APR one.

I haven't used the cards in quite a while. I used them for work, staying for long periods in hotels etc and over the years it mounted up without giving it the right consideration. Now I have no reason to use them at all so I'd love to have em back and get my owing down again.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 27,358 Posts
    • 17,341 Thanks
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    The lender will have no idea you will use the loan to pay the debts off, as far as they are concerned its extra debt for a car you want to buy for example.

Reduce your spending and pay the cards with the highest apr off first.

Why not make a start and close the card with the highest apr so you don't add to it.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 16-10-2016 at 3:56 PM.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • -taff
    • By -taff 16th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    • 6,278 Posts
    • 3,483 Thanks
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    Go to the debt free wannbe board, post an SOA, because while you might have used them in the past, you may well be able to cut spending in other areas to pay more off more quickly. It's amazing what a fresh set of eyes on your budget can do.

Another no vote for conslidation, it hardly ever works. It will only work if you cut up the cards and never spend on them again, and as it's already been said, you will struggle getting a loan because of your income to debit ratio.

See if you can swap any of your cards to 0% deals, at least that way you'll cut dowon the interest you pay.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 16th Oct 16, 11:26 AM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 5,547 Thanks
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:26 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:26 AM
    You can't borrow your way out of debt. I suggest you cut your spending down to the minimum for a while, it will be painful, but then you can throw more at your debts and they will go down quicker. It's not rocket science. Spend less, earn more.

Post up a Statement of Affairs on the Debt free Wannabee boards, and people will tell you where you might cut back on your spending.

Good luck.
    I love skip diving
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 16th Oct 16, 2:27 PM
    • 2,301 Posts
    • 3,955 Thanks
    • 16th Oct 16, 2:27 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 2:27 PM
    Two things.

Consolidation loans do not work. Speak to anyone who has done it and you will find that it just delays people dealing with their money problems.

You say you have a good salary and you can afford life and yet you still have debt outstanding on credit cards. Why is that?

Once you have found the answer to the question above you will realise you are spending more each month than you have coming in and in spite of paying minimum payments (which probably does little to pay them off as they usually just cover interest if that) you are not reducing your debt.

Post an soa and start keeping a spending diary and it will enlighten you as to where your money is going and how much of an overspend you have to deal with.

No short fix to get rid of debt so you just need to start making overpayments (not just minimum) on credit cards and stop spending on them from today. Move them to 0% if you can and pay minimums on all but the highest charging card and make as higher payment as you can on that until it is paid off then close it. Carry on with all the others and when you get to 2 just keep those open and aim to get both to nil.
    Save £12k in 2016 #46 £13600/£12,000
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 16th Oct 16, 3:35 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 2,655 Thanks
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:35 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:35 PM
    Another vote against consolidation here too.

1- Snowballing is your first starting block.

2- Followed swiftly by the DFW board with a SOA to cut the cost of 'life' down to the bare minimum.

3- Back to the snowball calculator and see the difference the DFW board suggestions make, sometimes it can knock months off the end goal.

4- Stick to your new budget.......this will be the hardest of all the steps but also the most rewarding in the end.

There's no quick fix, the loan decline has probably been the best thing that could have happened for you (although you probably don't feel it is at the moment). All the best.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 16th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 23,041 Posts
    • 10,407 Thanks
    Reading between the lines - if you were spending on hotel expenses should your employer not have refunded the cost to you?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Erucsbo
    • By Erucsbo 16th Oct 16, 6:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Appreciate all the advice guys. I'll forget the consolidation based on all the no votes here. I'll find out which APR is my worst and will shift all of my extra spends onto focusing on getting that one gone.
    In the meantime I'll check out the debt free forum section.

Thanks for the advice again! Wasn't sure where to start after the loan was a no go . Blessing in disguise perhaps.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 23rd Oct 16, 2:14 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Ex partner and myself had a few debts many years ago. We took a consolidation loan to clear them BUT due to the severity, my parents took control of my/our finances so that we couldn't build up more debt nor spend money on stuff we wanted, only stuff we needed.

Although that worked for us at the time, I know for sure that it wouldn't have worked if my parents didn't take control. We would just have seen we are paying x amount less per month (even though a longer period) and would have just spent that on crap.

Fast forward to more recent times and current wife and myself have a few debts. We were going to clear them down from equity from a re-mortgage/house move - I was previously trying to service all debts. We have an overdraft each (circa 4k) and had about 4k on a credit card. I was trying to service all three and failing. Since taking an interest in these forums I realised my mistake. Three or four months ago, I changed tact to clearing as much as I can on the credit card. That is now at £1700, by the time we move and need to clear it as part of the mortgage terms, it should be about £1000. Snowballing is the better option. Its helped my sanity somewhat too - feels that we are starting to get control and once debt free, the savings on interest and charges will be considerable.
    • curty510
    • By curty510 24th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    i was in a similar place a few years back, instead of paying over the minimum on all, i paid the minimum payments on all but the highest APR. I threw as much as I could at the debt with the highest APR, once that cleared i done this to the next one...with the first paid off i then had more money to pay the next and so on..

It really didn't take long to pay them off this way.

The decline in a consolidation loan has done you a favour to be honest, may not feel like it. But they do rarely work.

Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,089Posts Today

7,858Users online

Martin's Twitter