Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Possom
    • By Possom 15th Oct 16, 10:43 PM
    • 344Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Possom
    Height of bath screen is 1400mm - high enough?
    • 15th Oct 16, 10:43 PM
    Height of bath screen is 1400mm - high enough? 15th Oct 16 at 10:43 PM
    I have been considering purchasing a bath screen which is 1400 mm in height (see pic below).

Since this means the overhead shower head will be above the top of the bath screen, I wonder if water will be emitted over the top of the screen.

Do you think a bath screen should be greater in height than 1400 mm? Also what height should the overhead be positioned above the bath floor?

Last edited by Possom; 15-10-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Page 1
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 15th Oct 16, 11:04 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:04 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:04 PM
    It might, or it might not. It depends on the height of the person, the pressure of the water. I see no reason to get one as high as you can.
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 16th Oct 16, 7:53 AM
    • 1,749 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    andyhop
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:53 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:53 AM
    1400 is pretty much a standard height. It's the length you need - 900+
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
    • Possom
    • By Possom 16th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Possom
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    It's the length you need - 900+
    Originally posted by andyhop
    Thanks.

The screen I'm considering is 1300mm in length.

I wonder if the general consensus is that a bath screen is better than a bath curtain?

I know a screen looks better, and that bath curtains have a reputation for sticking to the person taking the shower.

Though I've also heard (I don't know how accurate this is) that bath screens never fit properly since the bath and tiled wall are never constructed at an accurate right angle.

Also, that eventually bath screens leak.

This problem does not occur with bath curtains.
    Last edited by Possom; 16-10-2016 at 11:15 AM.
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 16th Oct 16, 11:58 AM
    • 1,749 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    andyhop
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:58 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:58 AM
    That's why the upright profile can be adjusted

Try coram for a decent shower screen , Merlyn are also good
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
    • Possom
    • By Possom 16th Oct 16, 12:05 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Possom
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:05 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:05 PM
    That's why the upright profile can be adjusted
    Is that the vertical section which attaches to the wall?
    Last edited by Possom; 16-10-2016 at 12:09 PM.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 16th Oct 16, 12:12 PM
    • 8,697 Posts
    • 9,756 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:12 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:12 PM
    I wonder if the general consensus is that a bath screen is better than a bath curtain?
    Originally posted by Possom
    In some instances a curtain can be better than a screen.

This just wouldn't have been the same if there was a glass screen there:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atjhOhH-V3E
    • phill99
    • By phill99 16th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    • 7,605 Posts
    • 6,837 Thanks
    phill99
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    The drench style shower heads drop the water straight down. It doesn't spray out like a more traditional shower head/hose attachment. We have installed a number of these and they are fine. 1400 is a fairly standard height.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Possom
    • By Possom 16th Oct 16, 12:48 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Possom
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:48 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:48 PM
    The drench style shower heads drop the water straight down. It doesn't spray out like a more traditional shower head/hose attachment. We have installed a number of these and they are fine. 1400 is a fairly standard height.
    Originally posted by phill99
    Thanks phill99.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 16th Oct 16, 1:29 PM
    • 1,728 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    EssexExile
    If you decide on a curtain the trick is to put the rail about 100mm wide of the bath. Obviously you put the bottom of the curtain in the bath when in use but it gives you an extra 100mm of space higher up.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Possom
    • By Possom 16th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Possom
    If you decide on a curtain the trick is to put the rail about 100mm wide of the bath. Obviously you put the bottom of the curtain in the bath when in use but it gives you an extra 100mm of space higher up.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    That's quite clever. I probably wouldn't have thought of that.
    • burnsguitarman
    • By burnsguitarman 16th Oct 16, 2:19 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    burnsguitarman
    That screen looks very similar to ours, http://www.kudosshowers.co.uk/rangeprods/48/Three-Panel-In-Fold
    This is 1500mm high and is excellent quality. Not the cheapest, but exactly what we were looking for (and it's MADE IN BRITAIN)
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 16th Oct 16, 3:08 PM
    • 1,794 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Those overhead drenchers appear to be popular but I don't like them.

I prefer a flexible hose that you can remove and wet and rinse yourself from all angles. They are also easier to use if you want a shower but don't want to wash your hair.

I know this is not the question you wanted answered but I posted just in case you hadn't considered it.
    When I was growing up plastic surgery was a bit of a taboo subject. These days if you mention botox no one raises an eyebrow.
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 16th Oct 16, 3:17 PM
    • 1,749 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    andyhop
    That's not how they should be fitted. 25mm in from the edge of the bath with approx 200mm into the bath .
    • Possom
    • By Possom 16th Oct 16, 3:34 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Possom
    That's not how they should be fitted. 25mm in from the edge of the bath with approx 200mm into the bath .
    Can you clarify this? Are you referring to the image shown on the webpage which burnsguitarman linked-to, or the image which I originally posted?
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 16th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    • 1,749 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    andyhop
    Curtains sit inside the bath, as does the rail
    • wrightk
    • By wrightk 17th Oct 16, 10:39 AM
    • 928 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    wrightk
    Just installed a folding 1400 high shower screen. Remember that the screen doesn't sit on the floor! Most baths are around 50cm high so that makes the total height around 1900mm. Im around 6ft 2 myself so around 1889mm. Never had a problem myself and the shower is on an adjustable sliding bath to ceiling rail. Always place it above my head, never any leaks
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 17th Oct 16, 11:11 AM
    • 8,697 Posts
    • 9,756 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I agree that is the correct way but when you have a standard size bath and the rail is sitting just inside of the edge of this, it doesn't give a great deal of "wiggle room" between the curtain and the wall.

Provided that the shower curtain is long enough and heavy enough so that when the curtain is at an angle into the bath and shower spray is running down it doesn't pull out, I think it makes sense to have the rail a few inches outside of the bath.
    Last edited by shaun from Africa; 17-10-2016 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Grammar
    • saverbuyer
    • By saverbuyer 17th Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    • 2,320 Posts
    • 1,308 Thanks
    saverbuyer
    That screen looks very similar to ours, http://www.kudosshowers.co.uk/rangeprods/48/Three-Panel-In-Fold
    This is 1500mm high and is excellent quality. Not the cheapest, but exactly what we were looking for (and it's MADE IN BRITAIN)
    Originally posted by burnsguitarman
    I also went for a Kudos screen. The coating seems to be performing well. As you say, not the cheapest but looks and works well.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 18th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    • 1,794 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    A friend of ours has a curved shower curtain rail above her bath.

The rail ends are above the edge of the bath but most of the rail curves well beyond the bath edge.

It works very well. The bottom of the curtain stays securely inside the bath but, as most of it hangs away from the bath, it doesn't drape around your body when having a shower.
    When I was growing up plastic surgery was a bit of a taboo subject. These days if you mention botox no one raises an eyebrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

3,350Users online

Martin's Twitter