Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ThriftyThree
    • By ThriftyThree 15th Oct 16, 8:53 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ThriftyThree
    Getting the Best (Sky) New Customer Deal?
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:53 PM
    Getting the Best (Sky) New Customer Deal? 15th Oct 16 at 8:53 PM
    I’m a Virgin Media customer of 20 years, who has just given them my cancellation notice and so I am looking for the best new customer joining deals. I am not adverse to other suggestions but am seriously considering Sky right now, mainly because I am very interested in their new Sky Q Box as it sounds like a genuinely interesting TV innovation.

That said, I do tend to stream a lot of my TV these days so on the other hand I may be better just going for a faster BB and phone deal without a TV service.

I just wish I could get a really exciting joining offer. I have tried Sky on chat, woeful, BT on the phone, terrible. However then I tried calling Sky and actually got talking to a very pleasant chap who made me an offer that, whilst not quite what I want, is at least massively more competitive than my first two attempts.

I have been offered 1TB Sky Q with boxsets, Unlimited BB (ADSL ~17mb) and basic phone with £15 upfront cost and £26.31 ongoing month cost inc line rental on a 12 month contract.

The thing is, as I have recently upgraded to a 4K TV and like streaming Netflix in UHD, I am not at all sure if ADSL is up to the task and also note that the 1TB Sky Q box has no 4K support so won’t be making the most of my TV either.

I asked about the possibility of swapping the 1TB for a 2TB Sky Q but was told I would either have to pay £199 upfront or else pay £38pm with a £140 upfront cost but would get a free mini box with the second option. How are these three options compared to the best deals other people have found on Sky?

I have seen far better prices (mainly on hot uk deals) including one as low as £16.31 for practically the same I was quoted £26.31 for but with the 2TB box I wanted but the guy I was speaking to just wouldn’t entertain that at all and said that deal had long since passed, but has it really, if they could do that deal two weeks ago why not today for me?

Sorry for the huge post and any advice hugely appreciated.
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 15th Oct 16, 9:33 PM
    • 2,158 Posts
    • 17,596 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:33 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:33 PM
    What speeds would you get with ADSL? That is going to be vital to you if you do a lot of streaming.

I'm very surprised Sky offered a new customer the 2TB Q box, box sets bundle, line rental and BB for £16 a month. Maybe you could ask that person how they did it to get some tips?

As to 'if they could do that deal two weeks ago why not today for me?', well maybe it has finished. Some people here have been saying that since the turn of the month the deals with Sky seem to be lessening. Who knows whether that is true or not? Or possibly the person 'exaggerated' the deal they got, or they were an existing customer?

Oh and whoever you signup for, don't forget top check cashback sites as you may get a better deal going via one of those.
    Last edited by mije1983; 15-10-2016 at 9:35 PM.

• ThriftyThree
    • By ThriftyThree 15th Oct 16, 9:41 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ThriftyThree
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:41 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:41 PM
    They said i should get pretty much the max adsl is capable of so about 15-20 they said though i suspect it will still feel slow after my 70mb on cable. Would go fibre but it increases the monthly cos plus the initial payments and i really want to be saving money over vm.

Regarding cashback its good if you can get it but by having cashback you forfeit the ability to negotiate for a better deal dont you? Since cashback only works online unless im missing something.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 16th Oct 16, 3:11 PM
    • 5,884 Posts
    • 3,462 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:11 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:11 PM
    Cashback through such as Topcashback is only paid if you book online, but people on here have made better deals by phone.

Regarding the up to (Mythical for the majority) 17 Mb, I'd have a look at BT's site to see what they quote for your post code, but even the top rate will seem very slow to you , after having cable, so to anywhere near compare speeds you'd need fibre.

I don't see where they calculated the suggested monthly charge, as line is £17.40 with free ADSL (first year) and the full price of Boxed Sets is £38, because it doesn't fit with any of the normal 60%, 50% off etc deals usually given to existing customers, but it is a good offer, if you can make do with ADSL.

One point, though, is that, like with Virgin, the Q box remains the property of Sky, whereas before, the customer kept the box and on unsubscribing could still use it to view the free channels.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 16-10-2016 at 3:32 PM.
    • ThriftyThree
    • By ThriftyThree 16th Oct 16, 3:36 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ThriftyThree
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:36 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:36 PM
    I've just checked on the BT site and I get estimated at 17mb and speed range of 10-19.5mb and 4.5mb as minimum guaranteed speed. While it would seem slow after cable I reckon I would be ok with 10mb+ though I'd be pretty miffed if I only got 4.5mb...

I found the details of the £16.31pm deal I heard someone got on Sky. They actually got Sky to match a Currys and Car Phone Warehouse in store deal. I have got the numbers for Currys and Carphone Warehouse so might try calling them tomorrow see if they can still do it. Perhaps I am getting too hung up on that particular deal but I am the kind of person that loves a bargain and hate feeling I have gotten anything less than a great deal.

But if that doesn't lead anywhere, I might try talking to the person I was speaking to at Sky again and see if they can swap the ADSL for even the first tier fibre (upto 38mb) on the £26.31pm offer I got, I'd be pretty happy if he could do that.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 16th Oct 16, 6:07 PM
    • 5,884 Posts
    • 3,462 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:07 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:07 PM
    You can get a quote for the Currys offer here http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compare-tv-phone-and-broadband-1214-commercial.html
    • ThriftyThree
    • By ThriftyThree 17th Oct 16, 6:39 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ThriftyThree
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:39 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:39 PM
    Thanks, I tried calling the number on the Currys page but they confirmed that, as I suspected the deal is definitely over and weren't even able to get close to matching it. Boy could I use a time machine right now!

I was speaking to a very nice lady at Sky this afternoon though and came really close to reaching a deal.

Was offered
    unlimited bb (ADSL) (~17mb)
    Sky Q 1TB with boxsets
    standard phone
    one off £15 payment
    £35 account credit
    £26pm

or else same as above but with max fibre (~78mb) for £31pm but with £54 one off charge and same £35 credit.

Seemed pretty competitive to me so will give it some thought. Interestingly the tier 1 fibre at ~38mb actually worked out cheaper than the ADSL at £21pm but sadly has a 25GB pm usage limit, which I know I will go over so no point in that one but stonking price if you can keep it under 25GB...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,861Posts Today

6,161Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just been to @channel4's #bearhunt premier, a beautiful artist reworking BUT be warned, a surprisingly sad end, mini MSE in floods of tears

• Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• Follow Martin