Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WelshWanderer
    • By WelshWanderer 15th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 79Thanks
    WelshWanderer
    Budgeting/food advice please :)
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    Budgeting/food advice please :) 15th Oct 16 at 8:10 PM
    Hello lovely OldStylers,

I'm in a bit of a quandary at the moment. I've recently moved into my own place after escaping a very abusive and controlling relationship. To the point that managing on my own is a complete revelation! I'd had no say in financial matters so even getting my name on the bills has been a huge achievement. I'm enjoying being at peace but I seriously need to learn how to budget! There have been a lot of outgoings this month and I've unexpectedly been left with £40 in my bank account. I get paid in two weeks so I'm hoping it'll be enough to last until then. I still need to be very sensible as it's been too easy to overspend recently!

I did spend quite a bit on staples at Lidl so I have:

Beans
    Cheese
    Potatoes
    Carrots
    Peppers
    Stock cubes
    Spaghetti
    Pasta
    Tomato pur!e
    Tea/coffee
    Bread
    Wraps
    Fajita seasoning mix (25p a pack from Lidl, seems better than buying too many spices at this point. Ok I admit it - I'm a lazy git )
    Bananas
    Biscuits
    Cereal

I'm vegetarian so I won't need to buy meat. I'm also allergic to fish and eggs so there's some more saving there! oh and I'm teetotal.. that should help, right? If anyone can suggest meal ideas (preferable super easy as I struggle with PTSD, depression and anxiety and every task is horribly difficult) I'd be so very grateful.

I'm on a water, leccy and gas meter. I'm finding it all so confusing. I need the heating on a couple of hours a day or my joints flare up. I don't know where to start saving. I'm trying not to feel too overwhelmed with everything so please lend me your words of support.

Thank you in advance.
Page 2
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 18th Oct 16, 8:47 PM
    • 8,754 Posts
    • 60,964 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    A ig (((Hug))) from me , you are on the up and it will feel strange at first, but you will get there xxx

Holland and Barrett have 375g TVP chunks and soya mince for £1.99 which go a long way.

My DD is vegetarian and we try to eat a few veggie meals a week, We all love Garlic spaghetti and it came from our skint years when I had to find cheap meals for four of us.
    For four people............
    Cook the baguettes in the oven while the spaghetti is cooking in boiling salted water. When both the baguettes and spaghetti are ready leave some water in the pan to emulsify the sauce and then crumble in the baguettes , stirring in the garlic butter and crumbs, you can vary it by frying some mushrooms in butter and adding to the spaghetti, but the basic one is a favourite even now. Cost for four is 89p = 22p a portion.
    I take advantage of the super six at Aldi, the last fortnight has been great, brussels sprouts, leeks, cooked beetroot, swede, parsnips and white onions all at 45p, it changes on Thurs 20-oct - Wed 02-Nov and will be:

All at 55p

Kale-200g, Satsumas 600g, Butternut Squash, Funsize Apples min 5 pack, Asparagus, Chestnut Mushrooms-250g
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • WelshWanderer
    • By WelshWanderer 18th Oct 16, 9:07 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    WelshWanderer
    Good luck, Welsh Wanderer!

Your list is looking good..personally I'd add onions and tinned tomatoes. Flour is very useful too! If you have freezer space...stickered bread or even breadcrumbs. Soya mince is a blessing! Don't forget veg oil or marg!

I wish you well x
    Originally posted by Nomoonatall
    Thank you very much. I've since bought onions and chopped tomatoes. Tesco value ones were a bit pricier than lidl so I'm stocking up there tomorrow. Ooh need to buy flour, thank you!

A ig (((Hug))) from me , you are on the up and it will feel strange at first, but you will get there xxx

Holland and Barrett have 375g TVP chunks and soya mince for £1.99 which go a long way.

My DD is vegetarian and we try to eat a few veggie meals a week, We all love Garlic spaghetti and it came from our skint years when I had to find cheap meals for four of us.
    For four people............
    Cook the baguettes in the oven while the spaghetti is cooking in boiling salted water. When both the baguettes and spaghetti are ready leave some water in the pan to emulsify the sauce and then crumble in the baguettes , stirring in the garlic butter and crumbs, you can vary it by frying some mushrooms in butter and adding to the spaghetti, but the basic one is a favourite even now. Cost for four is 89p = 22p a portion.
    I take advantage of the super six at Aldi, the last fortnight has been great, brussels sprouts, leeks, cooked beetroot, swede, parsnips and white onions all at 45p, it changes on Thurs 20-oct - Wed 02-Nov and will be:

All at 55p

Kale-200g, Satsumas 600g, Butternut Squash, Funsize Apples min 5 pack, Asparagus, Chestnut Mushrooms-250g
    Originally posted by Butterfly Brain
    Thank you for the hug, it's much needed and appreciated! You've saved me some effort, I was going to check out Aldi Super6! Going to get the satsumas, kale, squash.. oh, everything!

I made a veg... thing today. Softened onions in a bit of veg oil, added chopped peppers, can of chopped tomatoes and fajita seasoning, sweet corn, mushrooms and kidney beans at various stages. I was starving so made two wraps and there's loads left for jacket potato topping for tomorrow!

Feeling positive
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

694Posts Today

5,536Users online

Martin's Twitter