Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • forthefuture1985
    • By forthefuture1985 15th Oct 16, 7:13 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    forthefuture1985
    Credit card or loan???
    • 15th Oct 16, 7:13 PM
    Credit card or loan??? 15th Oct 16 at 7:13 PM
    Hi everyone I currently have around 5k debt (car finance, overdraft, 1 store card) that I want to consolidate. Could this be done with a credit card??? Any advice would be really appreciated I am eligible for 0% balance transfer cards and other credit cards but not sure I could use these for my debts??
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 9,220 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    You'll need a money transfer option for most of that.

And just one question mark per question will be fine.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 15th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 28,338 Posts
    • 16,138 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    What was the overdraft balance 3 months ago, and 6 months ago? Same question for the store card? If largely the same as now then consolidation is almost certainly not going to work!
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 15th Oct 16, 10:42 PM
    • 1,726 Posts
    • 2,862 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 15th Oct 16, 10:42 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 10:42 PM
    What cards have you seen/been told you are eligible for?

Any eligibility checker you've used will only give you a guide, never a guarantee of acceptance.

Agree with both PPs - be mindful with consolidation that you need to be very self disciplined and won't always get the limit you want/expect as you are asking to double your available credit.

Get it right and it cuts your cost in interest and time it takes to be debt free.......get it wrong and you double your debt.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 15th Oct 16, 11:28 PM
    • 2,567 Posts
    • 4,377 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:28 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:28 PM
    Be very careful with consolidation. Moving expensive borrowing to a 0% card, has to be money transfer one to pay off loan, overdraft, btw is only a good move if you then do not proceed to run the overdraft, credit card etc up again. That 5k debt could end up being 10k in a year or two otherwise.
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • muhandis
    • By muhandis 16th Oct 16, 7:40 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    muhandis
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:40 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:40 AM
    1. No, none of these debts will ordinarily be transferable on to a BT card.

2. You *could* apply for a money transfer card (which lets you transfer cash from the CC to your bank account) but these typically come with a fee of 4% and (from personal experience) might be harder to get than 0% purchase and BT cards.

3. In your place I would apply for a 0% purchase credit card, do all my spending on there and overpay the other debt in the order of most interest/fees saved. This would have the same effect as debt consolidation on to a card, albeit over a longer period. But please note that at the end of the 0% offer period, the interest will likely jump to a horrendously high number such as 20-25% so you need to be sure that you can pay it off by then.

Hi everyone I currently have around 5k debt (car finance, overdraft, 1 store card) that I want to consolidate. Could this be done with a credit card??? Any advice would be really appreciated I am eligible for 0% balance transfer cards and other credit cards but not sure I could use these for my debts??
    Originally posted by forthefuture1985
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

2,472Users online

Martin's Twitter