Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 15th Oct 16, 7:11 PM
    • 376Posts
    • 22Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Barclaycard Indian Call Centre..should I regret my choices now?
    • 15th Oct 16, 7:11 PM
    Barclaycard Indian Call Centre..should I regret my choices now? 15th Oct 16 at 7:11 PM
    So I was using the Lloyds Avios credit card for most of this year, but I figured out that they also have terrible customer service, but at least their call centres are English!

I chose Barclaycard Freedom Rewards because I use a lot of their partners so earning points will be quite easy, easier than Avios. Although I just wanted to pay my bill but it wouldn't let me add another card within 30 days, so I phoned them up and greeted by an Indian man. By me asking if I could somehow add another card to my account, he placed me on hold to put me through to the 'Financial Difficulties' department.

I got so frustrated, I just hung up. I can't believe such companies like Barclaycard would use Indian Call centres! Although saying that, these past few months I've realised that 'British Airways' use them as well. The most British flight company uses these.

Should I regret my choices of moving to Barclaycard already?
Page 1
    • book12
    • By book12 15th Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    book12
    • 15th Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    They do use Indian call centres. I called them a few times and they are ok.

If you private message your query on Twitter or Facebook, someone from the UK can deal with your query.

Alternatively you cam go into branch and sort your query out.

Besides using Barclaycard online account to pay your credit card bill, you can pay from your bank (assuming it's Lloyds) in a number of ways - http://help.barclaycard.co.uk/brochure/paying_bill/pay-my-bill
    (see the section 'From Your Bank')
    Last edited by book12; 15-10-2016 at 7:41 PM.
    • pfpf
    • By pfpf 15th Oct 16, 7:36 PM
    • 4,132 Posts
    • 2,854 Thanks
    pfpf
    • 15th Oct 16, 7:36 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 7:36 PM
    if you were as clear with the "indian man" as you were in your OP regarding what you wanted, maybe he'd actually hung up on you first!

if you want to "pay your bill" do it online, Barclaycard really do make everything easy to do, imho.
    pfpf, the avatar previously seen as "the Monkey".
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 15th Oct 16, 11:48 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:48 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:48 PM
    They do use Indian call centres. I called them a few times and they are ok.

If you private message your query on Twitter or Facebook, someone from the UK can deal with your query.

Alternatively you cam go into branch and sort your query out.

Besides using Barclaycard online account to pay your credit card bill, you can pay from your bank (assuming it's Lloyds) in a number of ways - http://help.barclaycard.co.uk/brochure/paying_bill/pay-my-bill
    (see the section 'From Your Bank')
    Originally posted by book12
    I no longer have Lloyds, but I registered two cards to Barclaycard to pay my bill but they've both been cancelled due to reasons, and it won't let me register the new ones until 30 days time, that's where I had the issue
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 16th Oct 16, 2:50 AM
    • 1,332 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 16th Oct 16, 2:50 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 2:50 AM
    Most people pay their credit card bill by faster payment from their current account. Are you not able to do this?
    If the two 'cards' that you registered to pay your bill have both been cancelled due to 'reasons' I would suggest sorting out those 'reasons' as a matter of priority.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 16th Oct 16, 9:50 AM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:50 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:50 AM
    I don't have a problem with Indian call centres per se, but when I recently had a problem with Barclaycard, it was exacerbated by their call centre not really knowing how to handle it.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 16th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 1,612 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    As a Barclaycard holder I have been very impressed with their overseas contact centres. In particular I have found the advisors very professional and polite and always willing to go the extra mile. You get good and bad advisors whether in the UK or overseas. However for me the centre is only as good or bad as the advisor who deals with your enquiry.

Regarding the actual card I find they are very generous with their credit limits and very good promotional offers every month.
    Last edited by MABLE; 16-10-2016 at 10:38 AM.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 16th Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 2,830 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    As previously said, just pay the bill from your current account, whoever that is with.

Remember to put your BC card number as the reference so they know who's card the payment is for......job done.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 16th Oct 16, 12:26 PM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:26 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:26 PM
    I can't believe such companies like Barclaycard would use Indian Call centres! Although saying that, these past few months I've realised that 'British Airways' use them as well. The most British flight company uses these.

Should I regret my choices of moving to Barclaycard already?
    Originally posted by Jlawson118
    Not necessarily, but you might wish to reconsider your apparent sense of indignant outrage that many large companies choose to use call centres outside the UK in order to keep costs down and be in a position to offer more tempting products to their customers.

You might also wish to reflect on the fact that BA merged with Spanish airline Iberia in 2011 to form the International Airlines Group (thereby ceasing to trade on the stock exchange as an entity in its own right) - I'm not sure what criteria you use to measure the 'Britishness' of an airline but imagine that the likes of easyJet and Virgin might disagree with your assertion that BA are 'the most British flight company'....
    • AK92
    • By AK92 16th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AK92
    You might want to try the UK based Barclaycard social media team, who I met when I was working in a different department at Barclaycard. They are very friendly and efficient.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 16th Oct 16, 3:16 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    You might want to try the UK based Barclaycard social media team, who I met when I was working in a different department at Barclaycard. They are very friendly and efficient.
    Originally posted by AK92
    I'm usually put off social media as they normally just give you a number to call again. But I've sent them a message to try
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 16th Oct 16, 3:17 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Not necessarily, but you might wish to reconsider your apparent sense of indignant outrage that many large companies choose to use call centres outside the UK in order to keep costs down and be in a position to offer more tempting products to their customers.

You might also wish to reflect on the fact that BA merged with Spanish airline Iberia in 2011 to form the International Airlines Group (thereby ceasing to trade on the stock exchange as an entity in its own right) - I'm not sure what criteria you use to measure the 'Britishness' of an airline but imagine that the likes of easyJet and Virgin might disagree with your assertion that BA are 'the most British flight company'....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    It's not really that. It's more I am using a service and needed to do something rather important, for the guy there to put me through to debt department pretty much..
    • book12
    • By book12 16th Oct 16, 5:15 PM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    book12
    I'm usually put off social media as they normally just give you a number to call again. But I've sent them a message to try
    In your message to them, you can ask them to call you on your landline or mobile.

I tried asking for a direct line to their UK call centre but mentioned they can't give that out, and need to use the 0800 number on the website. They said that number can get through to an Indian call centre and a UK one too.

Hope your issue gets resolved.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 16th Oct 16, 5:15 PM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    eskbanker
    It's not really that. It's more I am using a service and needed to do something rather important, for the guy there to put me through to debt department pretty much..
    Well, yes, nobody wants incompetence, but after you'd complained about that you started venturing dangerously close to Farage territory that seemed to be more about the principle of using non-British call centres ("I can't believe such companies like Barclaycard would use Indian Call centres!") rather than the performance of one particular agent....
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 16th Oct 16, 5:19 PM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    chattychappy
    but after you'd complained about that you started venturing dangerously close to Farage territory that seemed to be more about the principle of using non-British call centres ("I can't believe such companies like Barclaycard would use Indian Call centres!") rather than the performance of one particular agent....
    I think you're starting to venture dangerously close to political territory!
    • sido1
    • By sido1 16th Oct 16, 6:21 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    sido1
    Hi yes you should ,I was a BC customer [business] 3 hours is my record, being passed from one person to another, then unbelievably, after all this time with a red sore ear ,the next operator said wasn't I speaking to you earlier, all I wanted to do was change a direct debit ,i was asked 6 extra security questions over and above date of birth, mothers maiden name ,business acc number etc ,i failed the extra ones, one was how long have you known xxx xxx ,i never heard of him, so i said that, "FAILED", operator said sorry i cant help you, took me another two days to change The direct debit address
    , and that when i managed to catch my Barclays acc manager, he done it in 5 minuets ,i ask why was the number he called not available to everyone, its an internal number he said ,so yes Barclays are possibly the worst for customer services ever.
    Last edited by sido1; 16-10-2016 at 6:46 PM.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 16th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I think you're starting to venture dangerously close to political territory!
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    Fair point - I wasn't deliberately trying to politicise the thread as such, just observing that OP's views appear not to be a million miles away from those usually expressed at one particular extreme of the political spectrum.

If OP's beef was (understandably) that they had a poor experience with a call centre agent then why wouldn't they just comment on that rather than the unnecessary extrapolation to "I can't believe such companies like Barclaycard would use Indian Call centres!"?
    • adindas
    • By adindas 16th Oct 16, 6:39 PM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    adindas
    Barclays has been using Indian call center especially during the evening hours since ages. I do not remember it is ever changed.

If this is due performance of the call center in general and not the specific agent why this issue has not come often in the past ??? Keep in mind, using Indian call center they could cut the cost ...
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 17th Oct 16, 12:44 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Fair point - I wasn't deliberately trying to politicise the thread as such, just observing that OP's views appear not to be a million miles away from those usually expressed at one particular extreme of the political spectrum.

If OP's beef was (understandably) that they had a poor experience with a call centre agent then why wouldn't they just comment on that rather than the unnecessary extrapolation to "I can't believe such companies like Barclaycard would use Indian Call centres!"?
    Well perhaps I got the last bit wrong, though I thought Barclays was a completely English bank. I've contacted Lloyds Bank numerous times and most of the time I at least get through to somebody in England or Scotland, and when Orange and T-Mobile merged to EE, they started using English call centres. I thought most companies in the UK now used English call centres for customer satisfaction. Although I contacted HSBC's customer services around April/May time and their Indian call centre didn't shock me because they're a worldwide company anyway. So it's been a while since I've last been connected up to one of these call centres and kind of forgot they existed to tell you the complete truth.

But my girlfriend just recently come back from a trip, and British Airways lost her luggage. Every phone number you ring for British airways was absolutely shocking because we would get put through to somebody who could barely speak English, and that shocked me a lot. And I thought Barclays/Barclaycard would at least have English call centres because they're an English bank. I've phoned First Direct, Lloyds, Halifax, EE as well as many other companies over here and not many use Indian ones anymore
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 17th Oct 16, 12:46 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    In your message to them, you can ask them to call you on your landline or mobile.

I tried asking for a direct line to their UK call centre but mentioned they can't give that out, and need to use the 0800 number on the website. They said that number can get through to an Indian call centre and a UK one too.

Hope your issue gets resolved.
    Originally posted by book12
    Hey, the guy there responded really quickly, and told me I'd be able to sort out my next issue when my bill is due, which is in a few days, but he offered to solve it and ring me up. So I'm glad for their social media team, looks to be the best customer service on a social media website that I've ever seen!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

412Posts Today

2,652Users online

Martin's Twitter