Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dave01
    • By Dave01 15th Oct 16, 5:39 PM
    • 116Posts
    • 25Thanks
    Dave01
    Concerned new Scottish Power customer
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:39 PM
    Concerned new Scottish Power customer 15th Oct 16 at 5:39 PM
    I have recently switched electric to Scottish Power, as they were offering the cheapest rate for my property. My online account is now up and running, and they are now asking for the opening meter readings. However I have an Economy 7 meter and my online account only has a single meter reading entry point. There is no indication that this is either for the night or the day rate so I'm assuming that a mistake has been made setting up my account. The meter serial number is shown correctly.

I sent off an e-mail to ask as to whether this could be amended so that I can then enter both my opening meter readings and received the following reply:
    "I can confirm that we are in the process to start your Electricity supply from 17 October 2016 with Economy 7 meter. However, it will take 45 days to update details in our records from supply start date. Once it will be updated you will be able to enter meter readings for both."

My new account will presumably have to be started on estimated readings obtained from the old supplier, is that how it works? Should I rely on Scottish Power to communicate the need for two (day/night) estimated readings to my previous electricity supplier in order to close down the old account properly with a final bill? I'm worried that they'll just use one estimated reading and then a big mess up will ensue.
Page 1
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 15th Oct 16, 5:48 PM
    • 6,529 Posts
    • 4,878 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:48 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:48 PM
    Scottish power were useless when we moved. The website only gave the option of giving electricity reading and not gas.

I downloaded the app which did work after a few weeks.

Take your readings, with a photo as evidence and keep your records up to date.
    • shorty31
    • By shorty31 15th Oct 16, 9:33 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    shorty31
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:33 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:33 PM
    We had the same issue, not impressed by Scottish Power so far. I gave both my readings over the phone on the 21st September.

My online account does now show boxes for Day and Night readings.

However, they have still not forwarded my readings to Eon to enable them to produce my final bill. I spoke to SP yesterday and was told this happened automatically, but in batches so wouldn't be for another couple of weeks.

Annoyed by having to switch supplier, but they were so much cheaper than Eon this time round.
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 16th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 1,331 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    Your SP account starts with the meter readings you give them, it their responsibilty to pass those on the previous supplier
    ( There is mechanism whereby the old provider can object to the readings if they don't square with your historical use )

!7th October is tomorrow, so take your meter readings then, even better photo the meter, and report those readings to SP by Email - Keep safe your record of the readings
    • Dave01
    • By Dave01 16th Oct 16, 1:48 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Dave01
    • 16th Oct 16, 1:48 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 1:48 PM
    Thanks guys for taking the time to respond. It's reassuring to know that it seems relatively common for Scottish Power to start their customers on the one meter setting online. I think it's best if I take the meter readings on the 17th, photo it and then see if I can get through to ring them in. Hopefully a weekday daytime won't be too bad on the phones.
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 16th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 1,331 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    Try the phone if you wish but also send an Email with the numbers, this establishes a WRITTEN record from Day One which is a wise move considering SP's problematic systems
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 16th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    poppellerant
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    As an ex Scottish Power customer, you have my sympathies.
    • Dave01
    • By Dave01 17th Oct 16, 3:07 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Dave01
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:07 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 3:07 PM
    Took meter readings, including photos and a video of me scrolling through the digital meter display so it has the time and date displayed as well as the meter readings. Phoned them up on 0800 027 0072, pressed option 4 to speak to an advisor. Pleasantly surprised to find the phone answered within 30 seconds. (a Monday at 2:30pm)

The advisor said that opening meter readings have to be taken over the telephone, so read them out and double checked them with him. He reckoned they'd be passed onto the old supplier within 28 days but probably much sooner. He then opened and closed a complaint log in their complaint system to provide proof of the meter reading being given, which I can see from my account messages. I've screen-grabbed that and I've noted down the time of the phone call as well.

So for the time being I'm happy with that, just hope it goes smoothly from here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

456Posts Today

3,387Users online

Martin's Twitter